Honored Contributor

Re: Probiotics and Prebiotics

[ Edited ]

I do take probiotics. The brand I use is called RenewedLife (Ultimate Flora Probiotic) Adult 50+   30 Billion Live Cultures   

12 probiotic strains

My family doctor believes in them and suggests that I stay on them.

Respected Contributor

I have been taking a probiotic supplement since I had a bout of C diff- actually 2 bouts.  My infectious disease doctor recommended I take them regularly.

Esteemed Contributor

I am not giving medical advice, just what worked for me.

I started having terrible stomach aches and digestive issues from eating certain foods and spices. Foods and spices I had no trouble w/ before. It made me a very picky, cautious eater and a royal pain in the tush to go out to lunch/dinner with.

I read somewhere that a certain sugar substitute (the one in yellow packet) had the same effect on your gut as antiobiotics. I have no idea if that was true or not, but I thought why not stop using fake sugar. I think in same article it said you would need to get good bacteria back in your gut. Yogurt alone did not help me.

That led me to probiotics, which then led me to prebiotics. All I can tell you is the combo of stopping fake sugar and adding prebiotics and probiotics helped me immensely.

Probiotics brand - Solimo Probiotic 5 Billion CFU (from the "A" internet company).

Prebiotic brand- Dr. Tobias

Good luck on your quest.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

DH has been having a hard time with his digestive system. Bloating and discomfort. I finally got him to eat active yogurt and he can’t believe how much better he feels...and even the bloating is much better. He puts sliced almonds on the yogurt and eats it every morning. I took acidolphillis tabs years ago and both my arms down to my fingertips turned red and bumpy. No pain, but figured it wasn’t for me.
Honored Contributor

iRe: Probiotics and Prebiotics

I've been taking CVS Maximum Strength Probiotic for a few months.  I get it when it's a BOGO.  I also drink Metamucil once a day.  I feel better taking them but nothing specific and no ill effects.