Occasional Contributor

Has anyone tried Probiotics to treat GERD? What have your experiences been like? Good and bad. What brands have you tried and which ones work best?. I am currently taking Prevacid but I'm always hearing about bad side effects if taken for a long period of time. TIA.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had GERD for years. Probiotics were never suggested for that condition, but they are sometimes recommended for other gastroenterological conditions. GERD is not an innocuous condition. If left untreated it can lead to very serious illness. The good news is that there are many medications that can be effective against GERD. Diet can also be very helpful. Bottom line... you really need to see your family doctor, who may then refer you to a gastroenterologist. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Thing like PPI Proton Pump Inhibitors and H2 antagonists are used to treat GERD, which is also know as acid reflux

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

All I know is I would wake up with acid reflux in the middle of the night. It happened maybe 6 times. Felt like it was burning a hole in my throat. I no longer eat anything after 7 PM & most of the time nothing after 6 PM. I started taking Andrew Lessman Ultimate Friendly Flora & his Digestive Enzymes. I have not had any problems since.

DH drinks Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar with a little baking soda for his. He's not eating Tums all the time like he used too.

You could research 5 ways to test stomach acid & go from there. Hope you find relief.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Thing like PPI Proton Pump Inhibitors and H2 antagonists are used to treat GERD, which is also know as acid reflux

@I am still oxox Thx for that. I wondered if GERD was the same as acid reflux. I assumed it was. I never really ever had indigestion or heartburn just the acid reflux when I was sleeping a few times. I got mine under control.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz

I think your  "recovery" has more to do with not eating after 7pm ,than it does taking A Lessmans friendly Flora   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@Nightowlz

I think your  "recovery" has more to do with not eating after 7pm ,than it does taking A Lessmans friendly Flora   Smiley Happy

@MalteseMomma Maybe. I did stop taking it in Mar. then got Shingles in May. Always wondered if that had anything to do with it. I think after 4 months the neuralgia is finally almost gone. I started taking them again while I had Shingles. Did not have acid reflux during the time I was not taking them but was still taking digestive enzymes & not eating late.

Trusted Contributor

@krimpett  I have a hiatal hernia and was on Prevacid, etc., for years.  I really didn't feel it was a good thing to take daily and some days it didn't work as well as I needed.

I have since tried a probiotic ( 5B units) and it has worked wonders for over a year.  Many people could get by with a smaller dose, but I experimented with the strongest first.  Right now, I won't mess with what is working.  Others have told me they are using a smaller bacteria unit product and it is working for them.

Trying one is the only way, unfortunately, to know how your system will respond.  Good luck!!

Occasional Contributor

I have been to a gastroenterologist. That's why I'm taking Prevacid otc. He has me taking 30 mg twice a day. Lately they seem to be not working as well as they were when I first started taking them 2 years ago. I know that GERD is not to be taken lightly. I just would rather not have to take medications that have such serious side effects. I am scheduling a doctors appointment to see what other options I have. Thanks for the information.

Occasional Contributor

Re: Probiotics And GERD

[ Edited ]

Thanks. I'll do some research. I have a hiatal hernia also.