Trusted Contributor

Does anyone take Prevagen and have you noticed any improvement in brain function and memory? My sister has had long hauler's syndrome for a year now. She us much better but her memory is terrible. The doctors don't expect a lot of improvement. It's very difficult to have the same discussions over and over. I just wondered if this was worth a try or if it's just a waste of money. TIA

Honored Contributor

Common sense tells me if it was really effective, it would have been heralded in headlines in every newspaper in the country.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Google "the truth about prevagen". Read the articles. Of course I take most thing I read on the internet with some doubt. You stated she went to doctors, did the doctors suggest she take something? You can copy the ingredients list and see what the doctor thinks. 

Honored Contributor

@KCDiva,

Well, in looking it up, the FDA has charged the manufacturers of false claims since science has shown prevagen is no better than a placebo.

It also has several not nice side effects-

What are the negative side effects of Prevagen?

Prevagen (Apoaequorin) Side Effects
  • Nausea.
  • Dizziness.
  • Headaches.
  • Cardiovascular problems (especially when taken in doses over 10mg per day) Chest pain. Hypertension. Irregular heart rate.

Some recommend ginko balboa (which also has similar side effects) and of course there are rx's prescribed for alzheimers but these have questionable results as well and side effects.

It is hard to know what to take that will really help without also having multiple unpleasant side effects. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

I don't have bad memory problems for my age of 85.  I do take Andrew Lessman's memory capsule and so far so good.

I take a lot of his vitamens and find that they work.

Respected Contributor

A 'synthetic' jellyfish protein? I doubt it would be of any benefit and potential side effects would make it a risky trial.

In fact, I think I read once, that a small test group showed no more improvement than those on placebo. 

If the doctor doesn't recommend a medication, or supplement, I would just urge your sister to eat a brain healthy diet, stay active and challenge her brain with new tasks and activities. If she is better, maybe she can continue to improve. Even a year out.

I've seen patients with cognitive changes and early dementia symptoms who were prescribed very expensive medications -- like 2K/month. Yes, like my own mother who eventually was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Those meds offered very little relief, nor did they seem to slow the process and they are the best that extensive research has offered, so far.

Respected Contributor

@KCDiva wrote:

Does anyone take Prevagen and have you noticed any improvement in brain function and memory? My sister has had long hauler's syndrome for a year now. She us much better but her memory is terrible. The doctors don't expect a lot of improvement. It's very difficult to have the same discussions over and over. I just wondered if this was worth a try or if it's just a waste of money. TIA

My Dr just said "DON"T"!

Honored Contributor

There has been trouble for the makers of Prevagen and that would be spelled 'FDA investigation' which includes problems with side effects and also claims from the makers as to what Prevagen actually does. You can do a search for yourself and see what I'm talking about.

Honored Contributor

@KCDiva I don't take anything without the okay of my PCP and oncologist and gastro doc. None of them think this "product" is effective. I won't be wasting my money.