Honored Contributor

Prevacid, Nexium and Prilosec users - read this

I wouldn't be surprised if it was similar with long-term younger users as well. Something to be aware of -

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/heartburn-drugs-ppi-prilosec-nexium-prevacid-risk-of-dementia/

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Prevacid, Nexium and Prilosec users - read this

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was similar with long-term younger users as well. Something to be aware of -

I will take my chances, along with my 2 a day 40mg Nexium capsules. I KNOW that if it were not for my taking Nexium, I more than likely would have, or still could, suffer Esophageal Cancer.

When diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagas, a precursor to cancer, these types of studies meant/mean nothing to me. I watched my brother-in-law suffer, and eventually die, from complications of the type of cancer I mentioned above.

I would like to think patients would trust their Gastro doctors diagnosis/prescriptions if necessary, and their prognosis, more than some arbitrary study done by and for whose benefit?

While I appreciate your posting of this link, I am one that has several specific Endoscopic diagnosis, one of which is much more dangerous than the other 3 of them?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Saw this on the news this morning - scary!  Luckily I don't use those products, but there are some people who live on these drugs.

Honored Contributor

The majority of the public taking these OTC drugs

could EASILY stop just by altering their dietary habits.

We weren't meant to eat animal products and/or processed foods...the main cause of inflammation, in this case, heartburn.   The body basically attacks itself.   And this happens day after day after day after day.  No wonder why our Nation is sick when I see commercial after commercial w/ the 'Get-R-Done' guy havin' fun, eating ******, but pop a pill & everything will be ok. 

O_o Seriously?

And OP, yes....we will see this in younger adults, if not children.  

Heartburn is the result in poor gut flora....and Metformin, the popular diabetic medication, causes poor absorption, which causes weak gut flora, which causes heartburn, which get people to pop a pill for relief. 

It's just a big cycle-of-******-food life.  

99.9% of these issues are man-made.

It's all about the food.

When will people see the connection? 

Honored Contributor

LOL!

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think PPI use caused my intestinal MRSA. I ran my theory by three of my doctors and they think I'm onto something. I have chronic sinus and allergy problems, I also was taking PPIs for years to treat reflux. After I was treated successfully for intestinal MRSA I asked my doctor to test me for nasal MRSA. The nose is the most common place for MRSA to reside. My theory was that I swallowed the junk that was in my nose, the PPIs prevented the stomach acid from killing the staph bacteria and it entered my intestines. BINGO! I tested positive for nasal MRSA and now I'm being treated for it. I stopped the PPI weeks ago. I feel that without it, my stomach acid would have been able to fight the staph bacteria. My doctors think I'm correct.

Honored Contributor

I guess some people  will have to make a choice. It would be a difficult choice that's for sure. I am thankful I do not have stomach issues.

Honored Contributor

I have felt for a very long time that PPIs have been prescribed for conditions for which they weren't strictly necessary and for longer times than they should be. And then when they became available OTC (except for Nexium, I believe) people started taking them who didn't need them. It's those people who should think very carefully about continuing to take PPIs when they can probably make do with something older and more benign.

They have been a godsend for those with issues such as @hckynut mentions, and were I think originally meant only for serious issues such as those. I think a lot of people, some on the advice of their doctors, take them inappropriately. Hopefully, this study will make doctors think twice.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Sometimes it can't be controlled without drugs.  I take omeprazole every day by prescription from my gastroenterologist.  I weigh 125 lbs. and am very careful about what I eat.  I've tried not taking it and am miserable.  My doctor told me that without it I could develop Barrett's Esophagus (sp?) or cancer.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

Just had my latest of many scopes in December and am on RX PPI, double dose.  Controlled diet and weight, just blessed with chronic Gerd.  Have been on an RX for 28 years, early thirties when began!  Both my gastro and I would love for me to not have to take these!