Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I only take Ibprofen for arthritis and back issues. I'm over 65. (I think I'll hide my age.)Woman Wink

Are you aware that over long time use even small doses of ibuprophen can cause organ failure?

Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

On another thread I just read, a poster semi-boasted (not really bragging) that at nearly the age of 65 she is on no prescriptions. Is that unusual?

@IamMrsG....it may very well have been me. Sorry if I offended you. I was not trying to "boast or brag". Just stating a fact. I'm sure I'm not the only senior not taking prescription drugs. I feel very sorry for people who have to rely on them on a daily basis. Who knows, I just might end up having to take RX's in the near future. Time will tell. 

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

@catwhisperer  Oh, no, no, no, no!  I was in no way offended, and am not even sure it was your comment that prompted this thread.  My choice of words ("semi-boasting") was merely due to my short vocabulary.

You see, I am also 65 and prescription-free.  It's my "norm," so reading that it is unusual just struck me.  

Reading @Everyone's response has been interesting.  Many of you have confirmed my determination to stay drug-free as long as I possibly can.  And, if this thread doesn't convince you, go over to Community Chat and read the one about the third leading cause of death in this country.  Woman Frustrated

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

People aren't healthy because they don't take medicine.  They don't take medicine because they are healthy.  NOT taking medicine doesn't cause one to be healthy.  Many have to take it to live, some don't. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Prescriptions at age 65

[ Edited ]

@IamMrsG wrote:

@catwhisperer  Oh, no, no, no, no!  I was in no way offended, and am not even sure it was your comment that prompted this thread.  My choice of words ("semi-boasting") was merely due to my short vocabulary.

You see, I am also 65 and prescription-free.  It's my "norm," so reading that it is unusual just struck me.  

Reading @Everyone's response has been interesting.  Many of you have confirmed my determination to stay drug-free as long as I possibly can.  And, if this thread doesn't convince you, go over to Community Chat and read the one about the third leading cause of death in this country.  Woman Frustrated

@IamMrsG....no worries. Smiley Happy  It's very scary being our age. You don't know from one day to the next what might happen. Good for you for being RX free at this point. Personally, I don't trust doctors because I think they are pushing pills to keep getting kickbacks from the drug companies. I think some of our health has to due with genes, some with how we live our lives. Who really knows? We just go day to day doing the best we can do, right? That's about all we can do. I'm not trying to live to be 100. I feel that when the Lord decides it's my time to go, than so shall it be. I just hope and pray that I stay alive long enough to take care of my cats, as they really depend on me. Smiley Happy

Edited to add, the side effects from the drugs that are being pushed upon us are almost more scary than the drugs themselves. Just listen to the numerous ads on TV all day long. Wow. Smiley Sad

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

I think everyone is different and I must take 4 medicines to stay alive....my mother took several meds and died at age 88. I do think nursing homes dole out way too many meds that are designed to keep residents sedated or calm and low maintence...I also think these drugs bring on confusion which is then called dementia...so more meds for that...a vicious cycle and Medicare/Medicaid can't pay for these meds fast enough...it's a real moneymaker for nursing homes.

Super Contributor

My dear mother in law just passed away at 102. She wasn't on any meds. The doctor tried to prescribe her some Fosamax at age 99, but she say why, and took more calcium. She was an amazing woman. In additon, she had one or two cocktails every night, up until a couple of years ago.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

I think everyone is different and I must take 4 medicines to stay alive....my mother took several meds and died at age 88. I do think nursing homes dole out way too many meds that are designed to keep residents sedated or calm and low maintence...I also think these drugs bring on confusion which is then called dementia...so more meds for that...a vicious cycle and Medicare/Medicaid can't pay for these meds fast enough...it's a real moneymaker for nursing homes.

If I wind up in a nursing home roaming the halls day and night miserable and raving in a constant state of confusion and fear I hope someone will sedate me.  It breaks my heart to see the states of mental anguish that sometimes come with dementia. 

Some people are in desperate states and need meds to help them.  Yes some have terrible effects, but sometimes you can find some med or combination that helps these poor people at least be calm and not frantic 24/7.  I don't know what the answer to this is, but it is horrible.

Respected Contributor

What really bothers me is the side effects these drugs have. Some of them are worse than the original ailment it is supposed to be treating. It's on TV all day long. "May cause this, may cause that, may cause death". Then if a person is taking multiple drugs, who knows what it is doing to their bodies. Very, very scary. That is why I hope I can continue to live med free as long as possible. I feel sorry for people who have to depend on these drugs on a daily basis.

Honored Contributor

@RubyinNE wrote:

My dear mother in law just passed away at 102. She wasn't on any meds. The doctor tried to prescribe her some Fosamax at age 99, but she say why, and took more calcium. She was an amazing woman. In additon, she had one or two cocktails every night, up until a couple of years ago.

That is amazing. 102!