Honored Contributor

@debic wrote:

I think most of us 'older' people that don't have to be on medication know how lucky we are.   Only one out of 7 of my sibs has any health issues at all.  Aside from getting old of course.    My husband is on a few medications, and we have a friend much younger than us that takes quite a few things.   

BINGO !!!       Not everyone who takes meds is weak, gullible or taking things unnecessarily.   It has a LOT to do with heredity.   

Fifty years ago people had to suffer through many chronic illnesses because there were no meds to treat the actual disease ... or at least manage the symptoms.   Example -- my mother suffered with both rheumatoid and osteo arthritis and was in a wheelchair at 66 years old.  I don't consider her "heroic" for not taking meds her doctor wanted her to take.    I think it was a tad foolish with regard to her "quality of life".

I'm not sure that every "no med" person is 100% healthy.  Sometimes they just don't go to the doctor or properly manage their health .... JMO

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

My 91 yr old mother has NEVER taken any medications since she gave birth! 

Recently she told a neighbor the last time she was inside a hospital or seen a doctor was when she gave birth 62 yrs ago (my baby brother).

She is still active, healthy, has a cocktail every day, eats whatever she wants because she's entitled, swims & travels overseas by herself!

@Mz iMac

Well, she sounds like a very sturdy woman, lol!    But she really hasn't been to a doctor in 62 years?

Nope!  She's never sick.  Smiley Very Happy

@Tinkrbl44

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

Recently she told a neighbor the last time she was inside a hospital or seen a doctor was when she gave birth 62 yrs ago (my baby brother).

She is still active, healthy, has a cocktail every day, eats whatever she wants because she's entitled, swims & travels overseas by herself!

@Mz iMac

Well, she sounds like a very sturdy woman, lol!    But she really hasn't been to a doctor in 62 years?

Nope!  She's never sick.  Smiley Very Happy

@Tinkrbl44

She never goes for a check up or to have the basic tests run?   People don't just go when they are sick.   Well, maybe some do.   LOL

Esteemed Contributor

I'm sure there are many who aren't on prescription meds that never go to a physician. There are also many, like me, who see their GP and gyn once a year. I see my derm every six months. I think some of the reasons people are on meds is hereditary, some is completely dependent on lifestyle. My mom was gone by the time she was my age, my dad on multiple meds. I do what I have to do to keep my physical body in optimum condition, which includes exercise and careful monitoring of what goes in my mouth.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44

She has no reason to go for a checkup.  She is not having any problems, aches, pain, etc.  My mother is a very active person & has no weight issues.  Memory sharp as a whistle.

My father passed at the age of 97 of natural causes.  He took rx for gout & migraines up till his 80's when mysteriously both conditions "disappeared."  That was the end of dr visits & meds.

Also, my father did not start to grey till the age of 81.  My baby brother has inherited that strait.  At age 62, he has not one grey hair.  I, at age 65 started greying at age 60.  I think now I have about 10 grey hairs.

My mother made it to 91 yrs w/this motto....

"If it ain't broken, don't fix it."

=============

As other posters have already pointed out, it's all in the genes.  My mother actually looks 20 yrs younger than her age & has no wrinkles.  My father was the same up till his death. 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

My husband and I are both in our 60's.  I am really into daily walks, natural healing and staying healthy. My sweet husband on the other hand  eats what he wants, never exercises , and only takes supplements because I give them to him to take.

Last  year husband  was put on blood pressure meds.....he had no desire to lose weight( he is 20 pounds overweight), exercise or watch his diet better first to try to get it down.

I also tend to have hypertension, but I keep it controlled to a reasonable reading through herbal supplements, walking and diet. I CHOOSE to do the work, my husband chooses drugs. 

I think most Americans on the standard drug  protocol for cholesterol and blood pressure     etc, could naturally control it IF THEY CHOSE TO.  

I am am not by any means against life saving drug protocols where needed.  But, I feel that Americans have come to rely on these drugs to " fix the problem" instead of taking care of themselves and living healthier lifestyle which In most cases  would lead to not needing the drug.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Mz iMac

Now that is my kind of woman!

Honored Contributor

I heard Betty White on a talk show a couple of years ago. say she does not take any RXdrugs, she was already over 90.

Trusted Contributor

@violann wrote:

Hi @sandraskates! I'm thinking maybe you take thyroid replacement?

Although it is necessary to purchase thyroid hormone with a prescription, it is NOT a "medicine", at least not in the sense that you take it to fix part of you that's broken, as in taking meds to reduce blood pressure for example.

It is giving the body something that is missing, like a diabetic taking insulin. 

Insulin and thyroid hormone are naturally produced by the body, but may need to be replaced or supplemented for various reasons.

You may already know this but it took me a long time to figure it out.

Hi @violann. I take a tiny dose of Synthroid. And it has made a big difference in how I feel; like clouds parting to reveal blue sky. But I'd really like to feel the same way without a prescription med.

I also take a multi-vitamin and Vitamin D (I was quite deficient).

From you post I was wondering if you had / have a similar experience (however, I don't want to hijack the thread).

Honored Contributor

I'm in my early 60s and take no prescription medications. I don't think it is dumb luck; I have a healthy lifestyle. I am the only one in my family not taking any prescription meds but even the rest of them don't take many.

My doctor has told me it is unusual.