Respected Contributor

On another thread I just read, a poster semi-boasted (not really bragging) that at nearly the age of 65 she is on no prescriptions. Is that unusual?

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

Having worked in a nursing facility at one time, I can tell you that the folks who are living to be 100, generally speaking, take no medications. 

I had an aunt die recently at 102' no meds.  I have an acquaintenance of 95, no meds.

Those of us taking BP, cholesterol, and other medications probably will not make 102.

Trusted Contributor

I think it depends on the person. My husband takes none.

Before his mother died at age 95 or so, she took a boatload each day. I am determined that will not be my fate, however I do take a thyroid med.

I read posts in various forums on the Internet and many people over 65 state they take vitamins or other supplements but no prescription meds.

Esteemed Contributor

We ain't called Medication Nation for nothin'. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Prescriptions at age 65

[ Edited ]

My 91 yr old mother has NEVER taken any medications since she gave birth! 

Recently she told a neighbor the last time she was inside a hospital or seen a doctor was when she gave birth 62 yrs ago (my baby brother).

She is still active, healthy, has a cocktail every day, eats whatever she wants because she's entitled, swims & travels overseas by herself!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

I hope it isn't read as boasting, but I am 65 and haven't taken any meds since I went off BCPs in my early 50s. My dad lived to 93, and took 10 or 12 meds every day. I do take vitamins and supplements.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

My 91 yr old mother has NEVER taken any medications since she gave birth! 

Recently she told a neighbor the last time she was inside a hospital or seen a doctor was when she gave birth 62 yrs ago (my baby brother).

She is still active, healthy, has a cocktail every day, eats whatever she wants because she's entitled, swims & travels overseas by herself!

@Mz iMac

Well, she sounds like a very sturdy woman, lol!    But she really hasn't been to a doctor in 62 years?

Honored Contributor

Re: Prescriptions at age 65

[ Edited ]

I will be 64 shortly and take no prescription meds.  When my asthma was bad I did not hesitate to take prescription meds as that is seriuos but now no longer need them as have had no problems for over 6 years but my former doctor would have still had me on all those steroids if I hadn't taken control of my own health.  I have it reevaluated every other year.  My dad was in his 80's and took nothing and he smoked, drank alcohol nearly daily and ate anything he wanted.

I know many who go to the doctor and blindly take every prescription prescribed.  It's one thing when there are serious reasons to take prescription meds but I have noticed that with one prescription often there are side effects then more drugs for the side effects of the previous prescription and on and on.  Many seniors are way overmedicated.  

My dad fell and had to be hospitalized and they started giving him different meds and within a week they were saying he had dementia but in reality it was alll the meds.  When we finally got them to discontinue them he was fine again.

Another drug is a statin prescribed to most who do not really need them which can cause diabetes then a pill for that is given which can and has caused strokes in some then more meds for the stroke that cause cholesterol to go up and a higher statin dose and then insulin.......

Honored Contributor

Very blessed and fortunate people!  How wonderful.  I would love to be in this category.  I hate and detest taking medications and fight each one that I can.  Sadly, both DH and I have to take quite a few to survive.  For a lot of us, its what we must do to live.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

My grandmother was on 8 prescriptions and lived to be 100 and probably would have been longer if the nursing home wasn't so poorly run.