Esteemed Contributor

Re: Prescription Recommendation

@hckynut wrote:

Strange thread, I think, especially now with my long winded reply to you.

Stay well,

hckynut(john)

John, it's not a strange thread if the replies are useful!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

@hckynut  I get it!  Not against meds per se.  They are lifesaving when you really need them but when I only have a borderline health issue that can probably be corrected through lifestyle, I'm trying that first.  

I get a lot of my supplements from Amazon.  They normally can't be beat for the amount and price.  I buy the Vitamin D from there because it's dirt cheap in the dose I take and lasts for a year, one pill a day for I think around $15.  My brand is sports research if you want to take a look and see if it works for what you need.        

Valued Contributor

This is all too weird.  The logic just doesn't compute.  Geez Louise....

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Brooklynny wrote:

This is all too weird.  The logic just doesn't compute.  Geez Louise....

Brook, what doesn't compute?

I can call my MD to request a prescription for an existing condition.  That's no cost to me.

I can get the prescription filled and have the copay comped.  I would get a $25 gift card for doing so, and get my exercise in if I choose to walk to the pharmacy.

What's not clear?

ETA: I can try a new allergy med that will address my never ending allery symptoms, and/or get vitamins that I would need during the winter when I don't exercise outoors as much.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

@HonnyBrown wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@HonnyBrown wrote:

Judgey much?

That's what you get when you reveal the real you on a discussion forum - judged. Not prepared? Best not reveal yourself then.

I also got useful recommendations.

Which category were you, moon?

One who thinks your request is not cost-effective in any way, and time-wasting and unethical for a reputable doctor, taking his time away from people who actually need medical treatment.

Stir away.

Clapping Happy animated emoticon  @Moonchilde

And I will add, the abuse and misuse of medical insurance.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@hckynut John, my Medicare pays for Vit D test every 3 months. Doc has me in for bloodwork every 3 months. I pay 13 to the lab. Medicare pays the rest.

@proudlyfromNJ

Medicare also pays for my blood draws, which I get every 3 months for Hemoglobin/Iron Ferritin and Vit. D. The only reason they do is because of my 6 day hospital stay when I was on IV Antibiotics. They did complete blood tests for all vitamin/mineral and lipids.

Discovered my low D level and I no longer have to pay? My wife went to our doctor and asked to have her Vit. D checked, and since she had no history, Medicare nor our Secondary would pay.

After her 911 emergency procedure and 8 blood transfusions, she was found to have low Vit.D and low Iron Ferritin, thus she needed 500ml of Iron Infused.

Since her Vit.D was low, Medicare now pays for her followup blood draws, same as they do with mine. That is our experiences when it comes to Medicare and our secondary UHC.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut Hi John. I guess the difference may be I have UHC also, but the Advantage plan, so I opt out of Medicare. I have never been in the hospital so it just must be difference in plans.

I hate going every 3 months, but Doc wants to keep on top of the 3 meds I take and make sure the liver is ok. 

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@HonnyBrown wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@HonnyBrown wrote:

Judgey much?

That's what you get when you reveal the real you on a discussion forum - judged. Not prepared? Best not reveal yourself then.

One who thinks your request is not cost-effective in any way, and time-wasting and unethical for a reputable doctor, taking his time away from people who actually need medical treatment.

Stir away.

If either of you took the time to read through the posts, you would see that there no fraud, misuse or abuse of any kind.

But I guess for you, it's easier to be JUDGEY!

Honored Contributor

@HonnyBrown wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@HonnyBrown wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@HonnyBrown wrote:

Judgey much?

Stir away.

If either of you took the time to read through the posts, you would see that there no fraud, misuse or abuse of any kind.

But I guess for you, it's easier to be JUDGEY!

That's really rich, @HonnyBrown.  You pose a question, don't like the responses, so you resort to accusing people of being JUDGEY.  Well, guess what?  You're being DISHONEST and GREEDY, and you want a doctor and pharmacy to be complicit in your actions, all for a stupid $25 giftcard!  Prescriptions are for those who are currently sick and need treatment or someone who is on a maintenance drug and need a refill.  Neither are new prescriptions, which is a condition of the deal you're trying to get for yourself.  You admitted you are healthy.

@HonnyBrown wrote:

I received a coupon to fill a new prescription at a specific pharmacy AND get a $25 gift card.

I want the gift card.  Caveat: I am not on any prescription medications; only OTC allergy pills.

What prescription can I get when I am healthy?  It has to be for me.

Honored Contributor

I know of no reputable doctor who would call in a prescription for a condition treated with OTC meds without first examining the patient. Scheduling an appointment when you do not know whether or not the doctor will even prescribe medication seems like a lot of work for a $25 gift card.