Trusted Contributor

Re: Prepping for the dreaded Colonoscopy today

@hckynut. I've been vaccinated but with the breakthrough varient I am still concerned. I don't associate with people who are not vaccinated if I know that. My friends have but I will be wearing a mask next time I see them. I passed on visiting family who are in town since the 10 year old can't be vaccinated. I don't apologize for it. That entire household got Covid last December. Unfortunately little ones are the carriers, especially when they've been in summer school, they can't be vaccinated. I expect our concert in NY in Nov to be cancelled if things don't change. It sucks.
Honored Contributor

I have taken the tablets twice, and trust me they work, boy do they work !!!

Honored Contributor

@KCDiva wrote:

I have had colostomies before. No problem. The past 2 days were unlike any other before having one. I was told to buy 64 oz of Gatorade (which I liked), 1 large bottle of Miralax and Dulcolax. OK sounded easy enough. I have a hard time drinking large quantities of fluid like that but I would do my best.

I started everything about 2:30 as I had to go get a covid test first. My appointment the next morning was at 9:00. I drank most of the Gatorade by 7:00pm and took 4 laxative pills. Nothing happened. Hours after hour. I thought I was going to have to cancel my appointment. I looked like I was 9 months pregnant, had cramping and nausea.

I went to sleep. Woke up at 1:00am with horrible cramps and severe nausea. Well it worked that's all I'll say but my cramping was horrible. I felt like I'd been beat up. Kept my appointment and told them what happened. Sometimes Miralax does that. OK. They were adamant about someone staying with me at my home after the procedure.

I didn't think much of it. Standard procedure for safety I guess. Then I mentioned that the last time I got one I woke up near the end and it was painful. One of the nurses said we changed our anesthesia and that will not happen this time. They use Propofol, the Michael Jackson drug. Not my words. I got a little nervous. It put me to sleep just fine but the recovery was long.

I could have literally spend the day there. I was drugged out! I didn't feel OK until about 4:00 that afteroon. I will have a discussion about this drug in the future. I don't like to be over sedated. I think it was overkill for a short procedure. Sorry to over share. Just a warning about the anesthesia if you've never had it. 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KCDiva wrote:
@hckynut. I've been vaccinated but with the breakthrough varient I am still concerned. I don't associate with people who are not vaccinated if I know that. My friends have but I will be wearing a mask next time I see them. I passed on visiting family who are in town since the 10 year old can't be vaccinated. I don't apologize for it. That entire household got Covid last December. Unfortunately little ones are the carriers, especially when they've been in summer school, they can't be vaccinated. I expect our concert in NY in Nov to be cancelled if things don't change. It sucks.

@KCDiva 

You want to live your life in a way I consider "in fear", obviously your call. There are so many things you said in this post that I feel are inaccurate, I won't address any of them.

No potential illness or injury is going to change my living my life, my way. There have been many potential life changing medical events during my 80+ years of life! Were I have lived in fear of all of them, many of my years would have been lost.

Just like not losing friends over religion or politics, I do not plan on letting some passing disease change that. Mask, no mask, vax no vax, I will treat them as I have all our other years of friendship.

"I don't apologize for that" was your statement. You do not owe me, or anyone an apology or explanation for your choices of how you choose to live(?) the rest of your life.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@KCDiva wrote:

I have had colostomies before. No problem. The past 2 days were unlike any other before having one. I was told to buy 64 oz of Gatorade (which I liked), 1 large bottle of Miralax and Dulcolax. OK sounded easy enough. I have a hard time drinking large quantities of fluid like that but I would do my best.

I started everything about 2:30 as I had to go get a covid test first. My appointment the next morning was at 9:00. I drank most of the Gatorade by 7:00pm and took 4 laxative pills. Nothing happened. Hours after hour. I thought I was going to have to cancel my appointment. I looked like I was 9 months pregnant, had cramping and nausea.

I went to sleep. Woke up at 1:00am with horrible cramps and severe nausea. Well it worked that's all I'll say but my cramping was horrible. I felt like I'd been beat up. Kept my appointment and told them what happened. Sometimes Miralax does that. OK. They were adamant about someone staying with me at my home after the procedure.

I didn't think much of it. Standard procedure for safety I guess. Then I mentioned that the last time I got one I woke up near the end and it was painful. One of the nurses said we changed our anesthesia and that will not happen this time. They use Propofol, the Michael Jackson drug. Not my words. I got a little nervous. It put me to sleep just fine but the recovery was long.

I could have literally spend the day there. I was drugged out! I didn't feel OK until about 4:00 that afteroon. I will have a discussion about this drug in the future. I don't like to be over sedated. I think it was overkill for a short procedure. Sorry to over share. Just a warning about the anesthesia if you've never had it. 

@KCDiva 

I have drank 20 gallons of Go/NuLytely for my 15 Colonoscopies and 5 Double Balloon Enteroscopies. Of those 15 Colonoscopies, 2 were with no anesthesia. I know the discomfort involved if you woke up.

Unlike a Colonoscopy, a lower Double Balloon Enteroscopy, takes hours, no minutes. Those were performed on me as an In-Patient not an "in and out" like a few of my Colonoscopies.

Most of my anesthesia for a Colonoscopy were Versed and Fentanyl. I woke up also during several before they were completed. I personally have always liked being able to watch some invasive procedures, when possible.

One of the benefits of Propofol is it fast acting "to sleep" and "much quicker" to recover, than Sodium Pentothol. Neither my wife or I had any problems after being administered Propofol. Actually much better for her. I have never had a problem with Sodium Pentothol either.

A Colonoscopy for most healthy people is not as problematic as what you describe. If it were, there would be even fewer having this necessary procedure. If someone were to read your issues, and not my follow up?  I know from my many and those of others, your issues are in a very small minority.

As far as your "warning" about Propofol, I have yet to have either a Colonoscopy/Endoscopy or Double Balloon Enteroscopy, where an Anesthesiologist, does not talk with me prior to having the procedure. Any doubts some may have, they can discuss that prior to the procedure.

Time to pack up and head to the ice rink for a couple hours of skating!

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Shelbelle  are these prescription or otc??  pills sure sound much easier to me!

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite 

I second the fact the (prescription) pill form of laxative works for a colonoscopy cleanse, ALL 32 of them!  And they are NOT tiny pills.   

My surgeon prescribed Osmoprep for my second colonoscopy; my co-pay on that prescription was $50.   When you start the prep, you take 4 pills with at least 8 oz of liquid every 15 minutes, until you have taken 20 pills.   

When it's time for the second part of the prep, you take the last 12 pills 4 at a time every 15 minutes with at least 8 oz of liquid.   

The pills worked well for me, without that sense of urgency.   However, the pills are salt based, and that sodium overload caused my blood pressure to drop; I got very cold and sleepy after finishing the first 20 pills.   Because of that side effect, and others, my surgeon no longer prescribes prepping with pills.  

My last two colonoscopies have been with Suprep, and as long as the laxative is super cold with super cold white grape juice and a there's a strong chaser afterwards, I can tolerate this prep.   

Trusted Contributor

I finally got the courage up to have a colonoscopy at the end of last year -- about 7 yrs after I was supposed to. I probably wouldn't have done it if I hadn't needed to also have an endoscopy done too. I had golitely for prep and didn't have a problem with it. The last several glasses were hard for me but only because by the next morning they were ice cold from having been in the refrigerator all night. I can't drink really cold stuff. The actual procedure was easy (thank goodness for sedation) -- I wasted a lot of time worrying for nothing.

My husband just had another colonoscopy with a different doctor and he had the Gatorade, Miralax, Dulcolax prep. Took forever to actually work -- I thought he might have to cancel his appointment and try again but it finally kicked in. 

Trusted Contributor

The procedure is nothing. The prep is the worst part. I am having an MRI on my head tomorrow and have been given no special instructions about a COVID test or anything. It's at a hospital so am assuming they will take my temp and ask the usual questions.

Trusted Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Shelbelle  are these prescription or otc??  pills sure sound much easier to me!

I use the pills. Since I see different docs within the practice, I always ask for the pills if not offered. One doctor said he didn't like prescribing the pills so i asked him if I could talk to someone who would.

They are not pleasant but they are better than that viscous, gag- inducing drink.