Honored Contributor

Re: Prepping for the dreaded Colonoscopy today

@qualitygal wrote:

I'll trade my possible knee replacement and subsequent pain, for your colonoscopy any day.  I'm signed up for that anyway here, maybe I could do them together as 1.  *wink*

@qualitygal 

Knee replacement/Colonoscopy, what to do what to do! I know many probably choose to live with pain and refuse knee replacement surgery, but? The possible consequences of their choice doesn't usually include "death by lack of knee replacement".

On the other hand, avoiding a Colonoscopy has lots of risks, and quite a few die unnecessarily, because of their choice made about, "will I or won't I get a Colonoscopy"?

Neither of my Ortho doctor friends have told me they were in the same operating room with a Gastro doc while doing knee replacement surgery. I would say to you: "Dream on, Dream on"  "wink-wink".  

Have you scheduled either at this point? Answer if you wish! 

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

I have never used a Cologuard test.   

My family history is well documented with stomach and colon cancer, and since dad had colon cancer twice, I want a visual examination by my surgeon of choice.   I would not feel comfortable with any other type of test.   

Dad had a fear of doctors, tests and hospitals; you only needed doctors for "birthin and dyin", his entire family felt the same way.  Dad had a very complicated and difficult recovery after the first surgery, and went from short term disability to long term disability.  After the second surgery, he suffered from multiple complications and never recovered enough to leave the hospital.  

Having watched the mental and physical suffering of colon cancer, I don't find the tests to be a big deal.   My brothers and I do our screenings; my husband has his thru the VA (which is a 2 day prep), and both of my daughters had early screenings before they turned 40.   

Respected Contributor

Just want to say thanks because you guys have given me choices for what to ask for regarding the prep.  I wonder why with easier patient options ( ie, Suprep, or Dulcolax/ Miralax ) , they gave me the god-awful Movi-prep.
Any who... now I am armed with the info and won't be drinking that stuff ever again!  Thank you, thank you!!  💝💝👏🏼👏🏼 Skye. 

Honored Contributor

My DH's doctor recommended Colonguard two years ago.  He did it and it came back positive so he still had to have the colonoscopy which he did have a small polyp.  The thing is because he had done the Colonguard the insurance company wouldn't pay for the colonoscopy just paid for the Colonguard.  I am due for mine its been 10 years and not doing Colonguard.

Trusted Contributor

I have had colostomies before. No problem. The past 2 days were unlike any other before having one. I was told to buy 64 oz of Gatorade (which I liked), 1 large bottle of Miralax and Dulcolax. OK sounded easy enough. I have a hard time drinking large quantities of fluid like that but I would do my best. I started everything about 2:30 as I had to go get a covid test first. My appointment the next morning was at 9:00. I drank most of the Gatorade by 7:00pm and took 4 laxative pills. Nothing happened. Hours after hour. I thought I was going to have to cancel my appointment. I looked like I was 9 months pregnant, had cramping and nausea. I went to sleep. Woke up at 1:00am with horrible cramps and severe nausea. Well it worked that's all I'll say but my cramping was horrible. I felt like I'd been beat up. Kept my appointment and told them what happened. Sometimes Miralax does that. OK. They were adamant about someone staying with me at my home after the procedure. I didn't think much of it. Standard procedure for safety I guess. Then I mentioned that the last time I got one I woke up near the end and it was painful. One of the nurses said we changed our anesthesia and that will not happen this time. They use Propofol, the Michael Jackson drug. Not my words. I got a little nervous. It put me to sleep just fine but the recovery was long. I could have literally spend the day there. I was drugged out! I didn't feel OK until about 4:00 that afteroon. I will have a discussion about this drug in the future. I don't like to be over sedated. I think it was overkill for a short procedure. Sorry to over share. Just a warning about the anesthesia if you've never had it. 

Trusted Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

Best wishes for smooth sailing  @KCDiva ! I have mine upcoming.  
Please may I ask what is the latest prep stuff they prescribe?  My last one was 6 yrs ago and I will NEVER forget having to drink a Gallon of " Movi-prep". That stuff tastes like soap, I had to choke it all down, horrid beyond words-

PLEASE tell me the stuff now isn't as bad, or less of it is required?? ! 🙏🙏🙏

@Skyegirl21 I would tell your doctor that you don't do well with a lot of liquid and ask about pills and a smaller amount of fluids. There are many preps but I will never be able to look at Gatorade again. I would have a discussion with your doctor about the prep if you have any concerns. I've had Movi-prep too.  Magnesium Citrate worked best for me if I  remember correctly. 2 smallish bottles is all you drink. Good luck. Ask about the anesthesia (see my post). 

Honored Contributor

As far as I am concerned if you have a doctor who is still requiring you to drink a gallon of anything, dont walk , but run to another doctor, the gallon stuff is horrible and very antiquated. 

Trusted Contributor

That was my main reason for sharing. Don't be afraid to speak up and tell your doctor how you feel. So many times, myself included, just go along with whatever they say just because that's what you've been told to do. Don't be afraid to speak up and ask a lot of questions.  

Honored Contributor

My gastro doc is very understanding about the prep. he says if you research it and find one that seems to make you more comfortable about it, he will be on board with it. He is open to any of them that are proven to work. He just wants to do whatever he has to do to get people who are leery of it to go out and get it done, that is most important to him. He is not out to make anyone suffer or have major anxiety over it. 

Honored Contributor

My sister had to drink the gallon jug of something and she became very ill.  I can't remember if she actually vomited or just felt like she was going to but she was so sick she couldn't even finish drinking that. 

Her doctor isn't some old man who has been practicing for 50 years.  He's only in his 50's himself.   I'm not sure it's fair to say that making someong drink a gallon of prep is antiquated.  Perhaps it's more of a situation where their experience is the miralax/gatorade/dulcolax doesn't always work.  I know there are people this hasn't worked for and they have to cancel the test.  

There are also just tablets that can be taken and drank with clear liquids but again, they don't always work.