Honored Contributor

Re: Preparing for a Doctor yearly physical

@Tinkrbl44 I  was not directing any thing  towards you. Sorry if it appeared that way. 

Honored Contributor

Medical documentation is so important, and prior to my retirement, nurses and doctors were constantly reminded about thorough documentation in a patient's medical record.   Obviously, the important things related to the patients diagnosis and treatment need to be reflected in the chart, but sometimes the doctor and nurse document other observations with the patient that are equally important.  The doctors I know, are developing their own style with observing, and what is being included in the chart.   

I was pleasantly surprised to read doctors notes recently shared by both my daughters.   When a doctor uses words like "pleasant, alert, knowledgeable, compliant" in his initial, or followup comments, it made me feel he was fully present and taking notice of his patient during their visit, and engaging in conversation that allowed him to learn about his patient as a person.     

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden, my answer would be yes and no.  The person I am most afraid of facing is my PCP, LOL .  She can tell me like it is or needs to be like none other.  Makes me  happy as a clam for her to say how proud she is of my weight and vitals..  Seems silly but that's how it is between she & I.  

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

Totally my preparation as well.  

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

I don't understand why people aren't getting their labs done the week before their appointment with the doc, so they can discuss the results. My doctor doesn't mail labs, so I want to see them on the screen when I'm at the appointment. If there's a change in a critical number like lipids or A1C, you want to be able to discuss it right there, not have a callback, right?

Here a link to a possible explanation for why doctors are noting how the undercarriage is groomed, or not. It deals with younger women, which is the demographic that seems most likely to defuzz down there, but I'd assume older women could experience the same problems.

http://www.ajog.org/article/S0002-9378(14)00065-9/fulltext

@noodleann, I saw a brand new doctor in February.  I wasn't sure what she was going to do and since I was new to her, she had me schedule my appointment so we could discuss things.  Based on our discussion, she ordered certain labs for me.  Had I had them done prior to our appointment, I would have had to go back to have blood drawn again for specific testings.  As it was I had my labs done and when she got the results, she called me on the phone and told me everything was good.

My DH is diabetic so he does go the week before his appointment to get his blood drawn for that test.  Then he and his doctor can discuss the results at his appointment.    

Duh me, you are so right. I wasn't thinking. I am diabetic, too, so my motivation is like your husband's--have the tests runs to the results can be discussed then and there.

My doctor's office doesn't call with results. They're a tad slipshod. In fact, I was supposed to get an Rx for Boniva for my "bad" osteoporosis, and this new doc forgot about it, even though we discussed it during the exam and she sent in renewals on my old Rxs. Based on the printout of the visit they gave me when I left, they think I have a rum gallbladder. It was yanked in 2003. Etc., etc. And yet the medical conglomerate that runs this practice won awards from the past administration. On the bright side, dealing with them is an incentive to stay as well as possible. Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

It doesn't do anyone any good to do what the OP does. It is essentially lying to your doctor, which is never a good idea.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

I don't understand why people aren't getting their labs done the week before their appointment with the doc, so they can discuss the results. My doctor doesn't mail labs, so I want to see them on the screen when I'm at the appointment. If there's a change in a critical number like lipids or A1C, you want to be able to discuss it right there, not have a callback, right?

Here a link to a possible explanation for why doctors are noting how the undercarriage is groomed, or not. It deals with younger women, which is the demographic that seems most likely to defuzz down there, but I'd assume older women could experience the same problems.

@noodleann, I always get my blood work done prior to a visit with my PCP, that only makes sense plus I get the results via Kaiser the day I have it done.  There's no way I could shave, LOL, or lie to my Doctor, she has a 3rd eye and knows me, literally, from top to bottom..  Basically I wouldn't be able to pull anything over on her.  

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@Smoky wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@noodleann, I always get my blood work done prior to a visit with my PCP, that only makes sense plus I get the results via Kaiser the day I have it done.  There's no way I could shave, LOL, or lie to my Doctor, she has a 3rd eye and knows me, literally, from top to bottom..  Basically I wouldn't be able to pull anything over on her.  

@Suziepeach

Anyone who would want to "trick" their doctor with altered results is, basically, lying.   When it comes to our health, that's a rather foolish thing to do .....  IMO.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Suziepeach

Anyone who would want to "trick" their doctor with altered results is, basically, lying.   When it comes to our health, that's a rather foolish thing to do .....  IMO.

@Tinkrbl44, I heard that!!  You betcha altering results is lying and dangerous.  I agree, when it comes to our health, that is a foolish thing to do.  If I even dared of doing anything like that- first I wouldn't know how- to do any altering, I am believing Kaiser would turn me away, and I'd be in trouble.  Even when they weigh me they take into consideration what clothes I have on and since she has me on a weight loss program, I have to tell them what I weighed first thing in the morning nekkid.  That's the worse part- those darn scales that have been known to lie!!!   LOL

Go VOLS
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden  No it's just you seeking all "A's", I'm there with you too.