Regular Contributor

Re: Preparing emotionally for surgery

@ccassaday I completely understand where you are coming from.  I had gallbladder surgery about a month ago and i was terrified. i was crying in the morning before we left for the hospital and during the pre surgery prep. luckily, the nurses were very patient with me. they did give me something to calm me down, and that really helped. Do you have someone to come with you? it helps knowing there is someone waiting for you and will be able to see you after surgery.  like someone else mentioned, you have your new house to look forward to. Just try and think of that and keep your mind occupied with how you are going to decorate your new space Smiley Happy Good luck to you!

Esteemed Contributor

@Piperdellilah wrote:

@ccassaday I completely understand where you are coming from.  I had gallbladder surgery about a month ago and i was terrified. i was crying in the morning before we left for the hospital and during the pre surgery prep. luckily, the nurses were very patient with me. they did give me something to calm me down, and that really helped. Do you have someone to come with you? it helps knowing there is someone waiting for you and will be able to see you after surgery.  like someone else mentioned, you have your new house to look forward to. Just try and think of that and keep your mind occupied with how you are going to decorate your new space Smiley Happy Good luck to you!

Both my parents will be coming. We are leaving the day before because it is two hours away. They will be staying in a hotel. Hopefully I will be able to come home on Friday.  As long as everything goes well my parents are going to take the opportunity to go to some stores that we don't have and look at house stuff. There is a rug store in Indianapolis and I believe a home goods.  I will crack up if they come home with stuff for the new house.

Trusted Contributor

@ccassaday  I'm in a similar situation...waiting for surgery.  But, I've had surgeries in the past so I'm not frightened.  And this one will be relatively minor.  I know what to expect, and I will only have to stay in the hospital for one night.  

But, I'm getting antsy because this whole process of testing, and biopsies, has been going on since the end of January.  

To make it worse, my surgery was scheduled for next Wednesday, April 12.  However, they have now found another issue and I have to have one more CT scan before the operation.  So, we have to reschedule!!!

I'm keeping busy.  I've been shopping, doing a little redecorating.  Getting Easter baskets ready for my two small grandbabies.  Both of their birthdays are at the end of April, so I've been shopping and wrapping for that too.

I'm getting a head start on some cleaning.  And, my husband and I are trying to get out in the evenings, go to dinner, and just relax.

I was 29 or 30 when I had my first major surgery and was frightened to death.  I only had to wait a week, but still didn't know how I would make it through.  I knew my anxiety was worse at night, so my doctor prescribed an anti-anxiety med to take before I went to bed.  

You'll be fine!  You'll get through this.  The worst part of many surgeries is the first day.  You can do that....just 24 hours.  After that, things start to improve and recovery gets easier.   You'll be in the hospital, so there will be many things that the staff can do to make you feel comfortable.

Just concentrate on the wonderful summer you and your family are going to have.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Regular Contributor

Gosh I did the same thing, worried myself to insanity from Sept to December of last year.  I had to get a hysterectomy and I drove myself nuts with worry.  I will tell you that the day of the surgery you will feel so happy and at peace because I know I did, was just so relieved to get it over with.  I did take a vitamin called L'theanine (stopped vitamins a week before surgery) and a spray called Rescue Remedy (there is one for sleep help also).  I also prayed all the time.  Try not to worry I know you will be fine.  And by the way the hysterectomy went smoothly, and I feel great.  I had a huge fibroid and felt pregnant for nine years, all gone now.  I developed Bells Palsy 6 weeks after my surgery, and man was that horrible, almost 100% better now but not quite.  Always something. Smiley Happy