Honored Contributor

Re: Preparing emotionally for surgery

@ccassaday

Hoping you have a speedy recovery.  I think the waiting is always the hardest part and a bit of fear is normal.  I am happy to hear you are having an early surgery.  I think it's harder when you have to wait till later in the day.  I agree with the others.  Concentrate on a healthier life after surgery and all the plans you have.  I find I do best just taking one day at a time.  My best wishes for a happy and healthy 2017!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not sure why. But today I feel really calm and at peace. I had a checkup with my primary Doctor. Have to have a couple blood test and a urin test but everything looks good for the surgery. Maybe I am at the point where I am ready to just get it over with and get ready for a exciting summer with the new house. I did a little retail therapy. Bought a cheap cute duffel bag to pack my stuff for the hospital. Also bought a couple cute pair of pajamas and a Victoria secret sweat pants and hoodie. I thought they were expensive but would treat myself because they were cute. I need some new pjs anyway.

Anyone have any advice on what to pack for the hospital. It's a one to two night hospital stay. I will take the pjs and the sweat pant outfit to come home in. Also will pack my phone chargers ECT. I don't know how out of it I will be but at least I will be prepared. I have the dogs purpose book to read just I case.

Honored Contributor

You want to take very casual, comfortable clothes to the hospital and easy to slip on shoes.

Do not take anything valuable with you.  

In my case, I am taking word search puzzle books, and my handheld Tetris game.   My daughter will have my cell phone, and will give it to me after my surgery.   I take no money, no jewelry, and no iPad.   

Respected Contributor

They may have you wear a hospital gown the entire time. You would hate to ruin your new jammies. You can wear them when you get home and they'll cheer you up.

I'm glad you are feeling better about the surgery. I think seeing the doctor probably did help. The tests are normal because of the anesthesia. You will get this behind you and can heal with your puppy dog by your side. Nothing better than nurse puppy dogs. ( my kid always said that) LOL

Just think of all you have to look forward to with the new house. Think of it this way...if people annoy you you can only mumble and they won't know what you are saying. But you will. Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

You want to take very casual, comfortable clothes to the hospital and easy to slip on shoes.

Do not take anything valuable with you.  

In my case, I am taking word search puzzle books, and my handheld Tetris game.   My daughter will have my cell phone, and will give it to me after my surgery.   I take no money, no jewelry, and no iPad.   

I have Skechers clogs with the fur lining. Those are my everyday house slippers. I think they will work well. I will assume my mom and dad will keep my phone until I am at least out of surgery.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Melania wrote:

They may have you wear a hospital gown the entire time. You would hate to ruin your new jammies. You can wear them when you get home and they'll cheer you up.

I'm glad you are feeling better about the surgery. I think seeing the doctor probably did help. The tests are normal because of the anesthesia. You will get this behind you and can heal with your puppy dog by your side. Nothing better than nurse puppy dogs. ( my kid always said that) LOL

Just think of all you have to look forward to with the new house. Think of it this way...if people annoy you you can only mumble and they won't know what you are saying. But you will. Smiley Wink

I kind of have to laugh at the puppy dog. We are going to have to put a gate up to the entrance to my room. She is sweet but she can get hyper. She is always running into my room jumping on my lap and kissing me all over. Because of stitches we will have to keep her out for awhile. We will see how it goes. I mostly got the new pajamas for when I get home. Because they recommend ones that button up instead of going over your head. We aren't to far away from starting the house. Still have to sign the blueprints. But the bank has already approved. They just have to appraise the bid and permits will need to be pulled. Should be breaking ground around the 1st of May.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo wrote:

@ccassaday,  I really can understand because I was a champion worrier for years, and I still have to work at calling a halt to it when I feel the worry machine start up in my head.   When I was a child, I had a couple of difficult medical experiences and became unreasonably fearful of doctors and all medical settings...  if I can turn around such worries, I know you can. 😊  I've had surgeries and procedures along the way.   And, ironically,  I've ended up working most of my life in hospitals.    Taking the Dale Carnegie course opened my eyes to the destructive nature of worry and the fact that we truly can learn to control it, and one of the books we read is a practical guide:  "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living."   It's old... but still popular because it's effective and wise.

The anticipation of most things is far, far worse than the actual event.   And our mind is powerful...  so it's essential to learn how to use it for the positive, and make it work for us instead of against us.    Methods such as biofeedback, positive imagery, and breathing techniques can be life-changing, and a good therapist can help you make these a natural part of your daily life -- please ask your doctor about these.   I know some people dislike quotations, maxims, dismiss the value of "platitudes," but the fact is that many of them are still with us because they are true and applicable.    I found they often were the inspirations or the "light bulbs" I needed to awaken my brain and change my destructive thought patterns.   So keep your eyes open for inspirational quotes and positive affirmations.   

Here are some practical statistics about worries that can help us to see them more clearly and realize they're not serving us well:

"~ 40% of the things we worry about never actually happen.
  ~ 30% of the things have already happened and there is nothing we can do about it.
  ~ 12% are needless worries about health.  Worrying actually counteracts the efforts we put into good health.  It creates internal chemical reactions that result in negative physiological maladies over time.
  ~ 10% are trivial and miscellaneous issues.
  ~ 8% (if that) are real worries, of which only half are something we can do about, while the other half we can only do a little about."

Also, I love this quote and I've learned that it's true:

"Worrying is carrying tomorrow's load with today's strength -- carrying two days at once.   It is moving into tomorrow ahead of time.   Worrying doesn't empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.” ~Corrie ten Boom

Sending you good wishes.   My faith is a significant component of overcoming worry...  so I send not only positive thoughts but also prayers for you and for your health care team.    All will be well...  I just know it.❤️

@dooBdoo

You put this so well, just the right words.  It was so good I read it twice and printed it!

I'm having an existing knee prosthesis replaced in a few months.  The first time it was replaced the joint had gotten infected and I was septic.  It required two surgeries.  One comfort is that I doubt this time it can be any worse.

@ccassaday

Hope all goes well for you.  Remember the old saying, 'Don't borrow trouble.'  As others have said, some fear is natural, but it sounds as if you have done your homework, and prepared as best you can.  Try to focus on the improvement you will see when this is complete.

Best wishes!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ccassaday,  I'm glad you're feeling better and brighter!   Keep up the good work!

@Drythe, my friend...❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

@Melania wrote:

I kind of have to laugh at the puppy dog. We are going to have to put a gate up to the entrance to my room. She is sweet but she can get hyper. She is always running into my room jumping on my lap and kissing me all over. Because of stitches we will have to keep her out for awhile. We will see how it goes. I mostly got the new pajamas for when I get home. Because they recommend ones that button up instead of going over your head. We aren't to far away from starting the house. Still have to sign the blueprints. But the bank has already approved. They just have to appraise the bid and permits will need to be pulled. Should be breaking ground around the 1st of May.

That is smart.  I had a hysterectomy years ago.  When I got home from the hospital I got into bed, and my dog jumped up on my stomach.  Boy that hurt!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

@Melania wrote:

That is smart.  I had a hysterectomy years ago.  When I got home from the hospital I got into bed, and my dog jumped up on my stomach.  Boy that hurt!

She probably won't be happy. But I can't have her 64 lb self licking and pawing at me. She usually lays on my lap and sleeps. So she isn't going to be happy. She hates the baby gate also. It fell over and made such loud crashing noises when she was a puppy she is scared of it.