Honored Contributor

Re: Prednisone caused me to become diabetic....

@Trinity11 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@Bird mama wrote:

@Bobbi sue

My Ma had COPD and whenever she was in the hospital for something respiratory related and was given steroids, her sugar shot up.

My sister, who is currently a diabetic anyway, was keeping her sugar stable and they put her on steroids.  I was there on Friday afternoon when they tested her blood and it was 363.  Nurse said, yep steroids.

Long term use of steroids can increase your blood sugar.  Only you can decide if you should proceed.  Breathing is pretty important, so it's a hard choice.  I would say that as long as your sugar isn't off the charts, watch what you eat so you don't aggravate what's already going on with the steroids.

I have been on prednisone for eleven years.  I get labs every six months.  Never have high blood sugar or any signs of diabetes.

Not everyone has the same side effects. Diabetes is a well known side effect. Also I know it causes bone density issues....contributing to fractures. It is a drug that is best used for short term use. Using it on a daily basis for years can really have deletrious effects....or at least that is what I have seen. A great deal of osteoporosis...

Hope you are doing well....

Oh that is for sure!  I have plenty of other chronic and permanent side effects from prednisone.  My osteoporosis numbers are so off the charts that they don't even bother to suggest Dexa scans anymore.  It is mostly all in my back and spine, with multiple compression fractures.  I wouldn't know what to do with a day that I did not have pain and could stand up for more than five minutes.

I also have skin issues, dry eyes, dry mouth, TMJ, gross and unrelenting fatigue, gastric issues, chronic itching, easy bruising, and disfiguration from RA for which I took the pred in the first place.  So I'm surely not bragging about the one thing I have not come down with . . . so far. 

Sorry if I came off negatively with my response, @Trinity11.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@Bird mama wrote:

@Bobbi sue

My Ma had COPD and whenever she was in the hospital for something respiratory related and was given steroids, her sugar shot up.

My sister, who is currently a diabetic anyway, was keeping her sugar stable and they put her on steroids.  I was there on Friday afternoon when they tested her blood and it was 363.  Nurse said, yep steroids.

Long term use of steroids can increase your blood sugar.  Only you can decide if you should proceed.  Breathing is pretty important, so it's a hard choice.  I would say that as long as your sugar isn't off the charts, watch what you eat so you don't aggravate what's already going on with the steroids.

I have been on prednisone for eleven years.  I get labs every six months.  Never have high blood sugar or any signs of diabetes.

Not everyone has the same side effects. Diabetes is a well known side effect. Also I know it causes bone density issues....contributing to fractures. It is a drug that is best used for short term use. Using it on a daily basis for years can really have deletrious effects....or at least that is what I have seen. A great deal of osteoporosis...

Oh that is for sure!  I have plenty of other chronic and permanent side effects from prednisone.  My osteoporosis numbers are so off the charts that they don't even bother to suggest Dexa scans anymore.  It is mostly all in my back and spine, with multiple compression fractures.  I wouldn't know what to do with a day that I did not have pain and could stand up for more than five minutes.

I also have skin issues, dry eyes, dry mouth, TMJ, gross and unrelenting fatigue, gastric issues, chronic itching, easy bruising, and disfiguration from RA for which I took the pred in the first place.  So I'm surely not bragging about the one thing I have not come down with . . . so far. 

Oh no, I saw no negativity. I just wanted to clarify that unfortunately diabetes happens frequently from steroids. 

It's not easy being in pain a lot. I remember you posted about your new dietary plan. Has that helped at all with the discomfort? The fatigue is very common with hypothyroidism. In addition the inflammation from the arthritis causes it. When you are dealing with more than one illness it really makes it harder. Just try and remember that a lot of us are in the same boat. Supporting one another is what I like about posting here.

Respected Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@Bird mama wrote:

@Bobbi sue

DH has blood work every month because of the anti rejections drugs.  When he had the transplant almost 10 years ago the surgeons warned him that the downside to these drugs is that it can cause diabetes and in his case, it did.  He has an appt. with his PCP in two weeks and I just know his A1c is going to be off the charts.  He was warned that if it does not come down, he will be on insulin.  He is on Prednisone, Tacrolimus and Cellcept for the anti rejection and Glipizide, Tradjenta and a week injection of Bydurien for the diabetes.

However, he made his 70th birthday in January and is grateful every day for his live donor and the fact he is a 24 year survivor or bladder cancer.

Honored Contributor

Did I miss the OP's response to how she is doing with the Prednisone? Hope she is feeling better and checks in to let all of us know how things are going for her....

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@Bird mama wrote:

@Bobbi sue

Oh no, I saw no negativity. I just wanted to clarify that unfortunately diabetes happens frequently from steroids. 

It's not easy being in pain a lot. I remember you posted about your new dietary plan. Has that helped at all with the discomfort? The fatigue is very common with hypothyroidism. In addition the inflammation from the arthritis causes it. When you are dealing with more than one illness it really makes it harder. Just try and remember that a lot of us are in the same boat. Supporting one another is what I like about posting here.

@Trinity11, I hate to admit that I have seen no real improvement since my new diet and I have now been on it for several months.  No meat/poultry (which I never ate anyway), no dairy, no bulk foods, hardly anything with skin (like fruits and vegetables).  I eat mostly foods made from white rice, like Rice Dream milk, puddings and yogurt.  I eat a dozen eggs a week, salmon and tuna, and cereals like Rice Krispies, Cream of Wheat, farina, etc.  Rice Dream makes a tasty dessert that fulfills my sweet tooth and love of ice cream. I will have a banana occasionally and can eat asparagus tips and well cooked artichoke hearts.  And I have to limit myself to white bread, only a couple of slices per week (and I never ate white bread).  I drink lemon iced tea and water.  I used to have one cup of decaf coffee in the mornings which I rarely do anymore.

I do this mostly for the gastroparesis as there really is no diet specific for RA. I've been taking Vitamin D3, 2000 iu's a day as well. So far I see no difference in pain levels, there is perhaps a little less fatigue.   

I could go on, but you've heard it all before and I'm trying not to dwell on it too much.  I know that you and many others are in the same boat.  Perhaps pain and discomfort just goes hand in hand with aging in most people.  Just have a peaceful day is the most I can wish for all of you.

And I agree that supporting each other is the best medicine of all.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986