Esteemed Contributor

Re: Prednisone, What is your experience?

I've taken it twice. The first time was very short-term. It didn't help my symptoms, but it didn't cause any side effects either.

The second time was short-term also, but after 2 days, I absolutely hated it. Nothing specific- I just did not like the way it made me feel. I generally do not react to medication and I have a high tolerance for normal initial side effects. But I called my doctor and told him that I wanted to stop it because it just felt as though it was really bad for me.

Absolutely you have to speak to your doctor about this. Everyone is different, everyone's medical history is different, diagnosis, family history, etc - and nothing should ever be abruptly stopped or started on your own. (I usually read entire threads before posting, but I don't have time to do that now, so I apologize if I'm just repeating what lots of people have said before!)

Kiss

Esteemed Contributor

On 5/31/2014 gazelle77 said:

dangerous long term.... doctors dole it out like candy and do not tell patients the awful side effects.

Not in my experience. Whenever it was prescribed for me (or my son, or patients when I worked in the medical field), it was always done extremely cautiously. Complete with full information re side effects, what to report, what's to be expected, etc.

Not to mention that every prescription filled at a pharmacy comes with written information so no one is trying to keep patients in the dark. And it can be safe and it can be effective.

Yes, it can be dangerous long-term. That's why it needs to be monitored by a physician. I've never met one who hid that fact. I also can't imagine going to a doctor who doesn't answer questions about possible side effects.

Kiss

Valued Contributor

I developed environmental allergies when my organization moved us into a new space. I reacted badly to the adhesives used to place the carpet and the air quality is horrible. I could not breath after developing nasal polyps. After trying everything else I was sent to an ENT. He placed me on prednisone for three weeks. I gained about ten (10) pounds. But what bothered me the most was retaining fluid and feeling bloated. I would put on a pair of pants one day and they would fit perfectly. I could put on the same pants the next day and be unable to fasten them. I face was puffy. I also spent alot of time in the bathroom. Pregnant women have to go less often than did. The prednisone worked. I can breath and smell again. But I never want to take it again. I had to go on a fast to feel like myself again.

Occasional Contributor

Weight gain, elevated sugar levels, sleeplessness, loads of energy. The side effects are terrible. I try not to take it anymore than I need too.

Esteemed Contributor

Please do not stop......you really have to taper off. Let me start by saying that it works for the symptom it was prescribed for, for the most part. However, the side effects are horrific. I was on it for nearly a year (heavy dosage). It was supposed to shrink swelling behind my eyes but it just kept it from increasing. I still needed several surgeries to correct the problem. Anyway, weight gain, mood swings, feeling like you could jump out of your skin, and so many other issues all a direct result of taking this med. My vision was already compromised so I can not speak to that. Talk to your doc and see if there is anything else you can try. Also, ask your doc if he/she has ever been on Prednisone. If not, they really do not understand the side effects. Good luck. I hope you get some relief soon, just please do not just stop. You have to taper off this drug.

Honored Contributor

I am also on Prednisone and working with my MD to get off ..... it did WONDERS to help me, but I gained 30 pounds in about 30 minutes, and I'm working to drop it. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Question for everyone -------------------------------------

Did you ever find a medication that's a good 'PREDNISONE ALTERNATIVE"? {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Super Contributor

I'd taken Prednisone several times over the years for allergic reactions. This winter I was put on Prednisone again. Within two days my BP shot up to 200/100 (normally it's 120/70). I was taken off of it without tapering as normal with this med. Felt normal within a couple of days and BP was back to normal. I will NOT ever take this med again.

Valued Contributor

I have COPD and never once was put on prednisone for it! If you aren't seeing a Pulminary person, I would get an appointment with one. They give you a breathing test and evaluate you and I am on Advair and Spiriva!! It is very expensive and am in the donut hole every year but it sure works. I would get another opinion ASAP!!

Honored Contributor

I took mega doses of this drug when I was very ill. I gained weight in my face when I was on it for a few years. I had no other side effects. Now I only take short courses of it (1 - 2 weeks) as needed for asthma and other inflammatory ailments. My doc hates it, because of its toxicity in the long term and its negative impact on bone density, but it seems to be the only thing that helps severe inflammation in my body. So far the benefits of this drug have outweighed the risks for me.

Super Contributor

On 5/31/2014 RINGER said:

I have COPD and never once was put on prednisone for it! If you aren't seeing a Pulminary person, I would get an appointment with one. They give you a breathing test and evaluate you and I am on Advair and Spiriva!! It is very expensive and am in the donut hole every year but it sure works. I would get another opinion ASAP!!

Prednisone is a corticosteroid. Advair contains fluticasone, which is a corticosteroid. My husband and youngest son have asthma and have taken prednisone very short term. At times this drug is warranted if one wants to live.