Respected Contributor

Re: Pre-surgery cautions re: eating potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 

From what I have read in this and other posts in this thread, i should either be dead or all my joints should be frozen stiff. Obviously i am not dead, yet anyways, and with multiple parts of my body with arthritis, almost inflexible. I am however very flexible in every joint in spite of eating many of these foods and arthritic.

Everyone is different, but from what I have read in this thread, I must be waaaaay out there by myself!

hckynut

There is no scientific evidence that ingestion of nightshades causes inflammation and hurts your joints. There are a couple of studies that show ingestion of fried potato skins inflames the intestines in patients with colitis. It seems the same information is just so frequently repeated, ad nauseum, until people (including some medical professionals) believe it’s fact. In fact, if you look back through the thread you will see that the little research there is shows a BENEFIT with regard to ingestion of these foods. Followers of this anti nightshades trend are just jumping on the bandwagon with insufficient evidence to show this avoidance is necessary.

What is necessary is avoidance of the green parts of these plants, such as stems and leaves and avoidance by persons with allergies to these foods. 

hckynut, here is one study showing the ANTI-INFLAMMATORY, beneficial, properties of potatoes. Inflammation is MEASUREABLE; using the measurement of specific markers present in the body. 

✅”Pigmented potato consumption reduced inflammation and DNA damage in healthy adult males. This offers consumers an improved nutritional choice in potato consumption.” 

Pigmented potato consumption alter oxidative stress and inflammatory damage in men, Kaspar KL, Park JS, Mathison BD, Navarre DA, Chew. The Journal of Nutrition[24 Nov 2010, 14 (1):108-111]

PMID:21106930

Ok, so this is where the research nerd in me kicks in.  LOL!  

This study is a very small study with just 12 men in each strata.  There were 3 research strata, so that is a grand total of 36 healthy men.  So while an important study, we can't place too much emphasis on the study & how it applies to all people or all potatoes.  We know that stress and certain disease impact some of the biomarkers that are under study here, so it is important to note that all subjects were healthy men.  Hard to tell if there is any difference with people that have certain illnesses or other conditions.

Another important aspect to this study is it is the type of potato that is under study.  There were 3 different groups:  white fleshed russet potatoes, yellow flesh potatoes, and pigmented potatoes (such as sweet potatoes).   

Results for the white fleshed potato group was not statiscally significant.  Subjects in the yellow potato & pigmented potato group were the ones that demonstrated the greatest response to measurement in this study.  So we can't say potatoes, in general have an anti-inflammatory property since there are different type of potatoes under study here.

The authors of the study also state "The total acid concentration of WP in this study is consistent with previously published values (20); however, total phenolic acid concentrations in YP in this study were 100% greater, while those in PP were 25% of reported values. Total carotenoid concentrations in WP and PP in this study were lower, whereas concentrations in YP were higher than reported by others (20). Total anthocyanins in WP and YP were low to nondetectable in this study, similar to other reports (23), whereas anthocyanins in PP were lower compared with others (23). Antioxidant concentrations in potatoes have been reported to vary greatly among cultivars based on genotype, location, and year grown."

So we have quite a bit more to learn before we can say in general that potatoes have an anti-inflammatory effect for all people. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

Re: Pre-surgery cautions re: eating potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant

Thank you very much, @pitdakota 

I've already done that, many years ago, and still do it periodically.  

I wanted either Mindy's or novamac's input as they may have had other sources available since they mentioned science and/or reporting backgrounds.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.