Respected Contributor

Re: Pre-surgery cautions re: eating potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant

@Mindy D 

My eyes probably look similar to that when the opthamologist dilates them during exams.

However, I never get to see  a close-up view of how that dilation can look.

I think the photo you posted is amusing and could be used with a variety of different humorous or scary captions, maybe for Halloween.

Not sure how any folks, many years ago, considered that look "seductive".

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mother used to fry green tomatoes for my dad..He loved them, and I can't ever recall any adverse effects  that he suffered. I have heard that green potatoes are poison ,before

Respected Contributor

@cherry 

I was waiting for someone to bring up and question the long-adored Southern dish of fried green tomatoes.

I doubt many Southerners who love that dish would give it up, though.  Never tasted them, myself.  Just haven't been presented with a good opportunity to try.

They seem to be part of the regional addiction to pimiento cheese and shrimp-and-grits.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The thing of it is we are not southern, and I am not sure where, or when, mama started making them. They taste a bit like eggplant  but they are firmer , not so mushy. At least that is what I think

Honored Contributor

My husband avoids nightshades because of the inflammation they produce in the body.  He's been trying to keep all inflammation down to keep his autoimmune illness under control.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

@Mindy D 

YIKES !!

Interesting, isn’t it? I love botany. 

Oh, yea, I forgot to mention that after reading this paper, I don’t eat potato skins. I eat potatoes all the time, though. . I’ve always completely avoided potatoes with any green. I keep my potatoes in a brown paper bag to avoid exposure to light, which accelerates the formation of solanine. This paper cover cases of solanine poisoning. https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002875.htm

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D 

As far as I'm concerned, any potato with the slightest green on the skin belongs in the trash---and I've put many of them there because I kept them too long.

Sometimes, it is astounding how many greenish potatoes are available for sale in reputable grocery stores.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

@Mindy D 

YIKES !!

Interesting, isn’t it? I love botany. 

I thought that you’d also be interested to know that another compound, atropine, derived from belladonna, is the universal antidote for poisoning and saves thousands of lives each year. Just a snippet about it from Wikipedia: 

“Atropine is a medication used to treat certain types of nerve agent and pesticide poisonings as well as some types of slow heart rate and to decrease saliva production during surgery.[3] It is typically given intravenously or by injection into a muscle.[3]Eye drops are also available which are used to treat uveitis and early amblyopia.[4] The intravenous solution usually begins working within a minute and lasts half an hour to an hour.[2]Large doses may be required to treat some poisonings.[3”

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@novamc1 

I have never had any issues with anesthesia. Maybe it has a lot to do with how I prep for any surgery or invasive procedure I have planned. Had several different types of invasive procedures be it surgery or looking or placing things internally into my body.  

For me sticking with nothing but liquids only, for 2-3 days before whatever I am having done. I have watched a lot of people get very sick from procedures or surgeries, a reaction to the type of anesthesia used. Don't think many follow my invasive pre-procedure, but I think it is what works best for me.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Oh my goodness!  I knew someone from Europe that talked about belladonna and women's eyes!  I didn't know what to think about that.