Respected Contributor

I am pre-menopausal.  I've noticed that my skin is more oily and I am having terrible acne.  Any one experience this?  If so, any tips?

Trusted Contributor

@ScrapHappy Sorry don't have any tips but definitely understand what you are going through.  I didn't have the oily/acne skin but boy did I dry out.  Good luck.

Respected Contributor

Re: Pre-Menopausal and skin

[ Edited ]

@ScrapHappy 

After having what many people called "a perfect complexion" through teen years and now in old age, I went through a very rough period in the  early meno years. 

Suddenly broke out in huge lumps and bumps.  These weren't always open pimples but more like subcutaneous cysts.

No real explanation for it.  Antibiotics prescribed by a doctor cleared it right up, and then it would come right back.  

Maybe you just have to live through it and come out the other side, like I did.  That's my story.

All I can say is, it probably will get better and you will be back to normal.  I sincerely hope that happens for you.  See a doctor, preferably a dermatologist, in the meantime.

Honored Contributor

I would see your derm. as I imagine they would give you something to clear this up.  It's a temporary thing while your hormones are going wonky.  

Around this time I was having issues and it turned out I was getting rosacea.  Have yourself checked out and they can give you the proper treatment.  Hang in there!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

I am pre-menopausal.  I've noticed that my skin is more oily and I am having terrible acne.  Any one experience this?  If so, any tips?

The same thing happened to me.  I had more breakouts during the few years before hitting menopause than I ever had.  I always had an oily T-zone but it went crazy during peri-meno.

A dermatologist told me it's pretty normal since our hormones are changing so much.  She said I should treat my skin with gentle oil-free cleansers & makeup, exfoliate 1-2 times a week, and be patient.  She said I could spend a fortune on prescription products and expensive name brands or go with good over the counter brands.  

Tip.  I always kept cold wet paper towels in my office.  They came in handy for hot flashes and to gently wipe oil off my face.  I've never worn base makeup so wiping my face was not a problem.

Esteemed Contributor

At that age my skin had a complete tantrum.  Quite the sight.  Much worse than my teenagers.

Run, don't walk, to the dermatologist.  It might last for a few years.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 

I had the cyst that you mention from my first pregnancy on and a double dose when I started the big "M".  

The hard, sore, red cysts are called "cystic acne" and are injected with hydrocortisone.  in my case they were almost gone the next day.

Retin A is the help prevent them, but not fully in my case.

Super Contributor

Ask your derm about Spironolactone. I've tried everything under the sun. This works. Old, old, old drug. Safe to use, inexpensive. Google for more information.