Trusted Contributor

Re: Post Hip Replacement Sleep Issues

@furbabylover wrote:

@Mimi 1883 I, too have real sleep issues, thanks to withdrawing from a medicine that is infamous for causing this once you stop it. I have been experimenting with different supplements and herbals, and have found that a balanced magnesium/potassium formula helps and Herb Pharm's Hops extract. I'm sure you know there are so many non-drug options, its pretty much trial and error.

@furbabylover  Glad to hear you found something that helps you. My sleep problems are from my thyroid medication. It is the only brand that I can tolerate, but prevents any type of long, uninterrupted sleep. I fall asleep around midnight (give or take) and wake up about 4 a.m. (+/-) It makes for some very long days. 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Valued Contributor

@Mimi 1883 So sorry that thyroid meds are the culprit in your sleep problem. Have you tried any of the physical aids like a weighted blanket or extra cushy pillows? I am sure there must be something out there to help you. Some people take biofeedback training to regulate body temperature, breathing, etc. That is not my cup of tea, but some swear by it. Let me just say, I feel your pain!! Praying for your relief!!

Trusted Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Hi all I am 5 weeks post op with a total hip replacement, I am still sleeping on my reclining sofa, have not yet conquered the bed. Thing is I am sleeping like a wooden solider, flat on my back with a pillow between my legs, sleep mask since it is fairly light in my living room and my I pod on my chest playing sleepy time music. I also have a fan blowing on me.

I wake with a headache and neck and shoulder pain daily.

I can not seem to find a comfortable position.

I have a neck pillow on order with help that will soften my issues

Any help would mean the world to me, thanks all

I am so sorry you are still having such pain.

My thoughts are that it is probably due to you having to stay in one position all night.  People usually change positions during sleep and don't even know they are doing it.  If you are not normally a "back sleeper," this would be extremely uncomfortable. 

Also, not having any head, neck or shoulder support would cause muscle cramping, stiffness and pain.  I hope the new pillow will help you.

I would definately speak to the doctor to see if anything can be done to make you more comfortable for sleeping.

Hope you find relief soon.

Trusted Contributor

@furbabylover wrote:

@Mimi 1883 So sorry that thyroid meds are the culprit in your sleep problem. Have you tried any of the physical aids like a weighted blanket or extra cushy pillows? I am sure there must be something out there to help you. Some people take biofeedback training to regulate body temperature, breathing, etc. That is not my cup of tea, but some swear by it. Let me just say, I feel your pain!! Praying for your relief!!

@furbabylover  Thank you. No, biofeedback is not my cup of tea, either. No matter what I try, there is nothing (topical) e.g., weighted blankets, etc., that works - I do use a couple of soft pillows. Thyroid medication (name brand 'Synthroid') does its job, but definitely has side effects, such as insomnia and freezing toes. It feels like 'one step forward and two steps backwards'. I have sleep apnea, and it's imperative that I get at least five hours on the cpap. It's not only for health, but insurance purposes as well. I've received one warning email from the Sleep Monitoring company that I had not been using the machine enough - at least five hours/night, for at least five days. I make sure I do that. Before I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism, I could sleep at least eight hours - the good ol' days. 🥱 😴

F/N/A luvstogarden
Valued Contributor

@Mimi 1883 OMG you poor thing!! It sounds like you are caught between a rock and a crazy place with Synthroid. I, too, have sleep apnea and have been warned about not using my machine enough (insurance ******). I was having a miserable time on my CPAP until I got the docs to turn down the air pressure because I could not get a good seal. They did and now its much better. Also, I just got a great chin strap on Amazon that is an extremely soft, stretchy perforated fabric and is SO comfortable I hardly know its on. With thyroid issues, sleep is so important for you with regard to your daily stamina. Have you explored all the possible herbal sleep aids? There's valerian, lemon balm, passionflower, hops, skullcap, and even kava. If you get any of these herbals I highly recommend you get them in tincture/extract form. Your body utilizes them more effectively. The brand I use is one of the oldest and best: Herb Pharm. I really pray you find a way to get some relief. Hang in there, girl!!

Valued Contributor

I think it depends on what type of hip replacement you had. If you have anterior you have ZERO restrictions. This is what I had and went immediately into a bed. I had both hips done. I had no problems at all with getting in bed. I had a strap that I put over my foot that would help me lift the leg into the bed. Sorry you have to sleep in a recliner. Did you have yours done through the side? When you do, they cut through the big muscle and it makes possible dislocation a factor. I'm really glad I could have mine done in the front.