Respected Contributor

Possible broken little toe advice

While barefoot, I stubbed my little toe on a storage bench Wedneday.  It became swollen and extremely discolored over the course of the rest of the day spreading across the two toes next to it.  By the next morning, a lot (not all) of the discoloration was gone, and I could walk more easily on it.  I cannot wear closed-toe shoes or sandals that rub it--only shoes like flip-flops.  If I'm not quite a bit better by Monday, I am going to make an appointment with a podiatrist.  Until then, should I tape it to the toe next to it?  Not do anything and keep wearing my flip flops so there is no pressure on it?  Or???

Honored Contributor

Re: Possible broken little toe advice

Ouch!  Sounds like you have it under control.  I always keep an ice pack in the freezer for minor accidents.  Hope your toe is back to normal soon!

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg   I have broken toes several times.  I did not go to the doctor but I did tape the toes.  

I broke toes one time during the winter, no way could I wear a closed in shoe so I bought a faux shoe that velcroed on and toes were exposed.   Not very pretty but did allow me to wear something on my foot.

The last toe break issue is that my little toe beside the baby toe is damaged, not sure it will grow back properly or not...for that one I did see the doctor because the nail was dark and crumbly...she cleaned it up but the new nail growth has been very slow.

Trusted Contributor

In the absence of an ice pack, frozen veggies works too and everybody has those in the freezer!

Respected Contributor

Ouch.  I would say do what feels comfortable.  If it hurts, don't do it.  Keep wearing the flip flops, ice and try taping it and see if it helps.  By any chance, did you Google it?

Good luck.

Occasional Contributor

I did the exact same thing to my little toe last summer so I feel your pain! After initially icing it, I wore flip flops for a couple of weeks, (Could not wear any "normal" shoes at all)

Think I was able to wear regular shoes after 3 weeks or so. I was glad it was summer so it was easy to wear flip flops while I healed. I didn't tape it. Had to be really careful around the house as I didn't want to bump it again - even a gentle nudge would have been excruciating!

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Honored Contributor

Go to the ER so they can x-ray your foot and tape it up probably.  Why would you go to podiatrist????   That's like saying, I won't go to the cardiologist for my toe injury.

Honored Contributor

I split my little toe bone right down the middle long ago--splinters of done. Doc said he'd not seen that one!  All they did was tape it but I wouldn't think about not getting an xray.   Something grows back badly and you'd feel it the rest of your life.  

And it hurt so bad no way could I wear any shoe.  I spent the summer at work. in a blue fuzzy house shoe and on one crutch for awhile.  It healed and has been no problem, but doc checked it along the way.  I don't mess around with stuff like this.  

Respected Contributor

My neighbor recently broke her toe and went to the ER, now she's on crutches and has to keep weight off it for 6 weeks. Can you make a emergency appointment with your primary? They usually have emergency appointments set aside for things like this. 

I wouldn't be too cavalier about a foot injury especially as we get older. Motility is so precious.

I hope you get better soon...

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -Immanuel Kant

"Once you have had a wonderful Dog, a life without one, is a life diminished"-Dean Koontz
Honored Contributor

I always think people who go ahead and wear shoes might have a fractue not a break.  I could not possibly in any way have worn a shoe with my broke toe.  It hurt when the sheet touched it at night.  Kept me awake!