Honored Contributor

Possible Link between the appendix and Parkinson’s Disease

Just thought I would share  

https://gizmodo.com/scientists-find-link-between-parkinsons-disease-and-the-1830127056

Scientists have found further evidence that the gut, or more specifically the appendix, might play a role in the development of Parkinson’s disease.

The international team of scientists reviewed two datasets, including a large registry from Sweden, and found that removal of the appendix was associated with a decreased risk of developing Parkinson’s disease. They also found that the human appendix contains clumps of a protein called alpha-synuclein in a form associated with the disease. There’s more work to be done, and the authors are not advocating that people preemptively remove their appendixes, but they hope that the research could provide a pathway towards treatment.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Possible Link between the appendix and Parkinson’s Disease

[ Edited ]

I've been reading about "Lewy bodies" for a couple of years. Mayo's has been onto this for quite a while, apparently. It's great info. and hopefully will go on to further research. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Possible Link between the appendix and Parkinson’s Disease

[ Edited ]

Very interesting @SeaMaiden.  My maternal grandmother had Parkinson's in her elder years and died from it.  My mom, her eldest child, had her appendix removed as a child and died of cancer in her later years - no Parkinson's.  My uncle, the other child, retained his appendix and did develop Parkinson's as he became older.  After reading your post, I have to wonder.  (and kind of sorry I still have my appendix!)

ETA I just thought about it further and I think they took my appendix as well when I had my gall bladder removed many years ago.  I certainly hope so!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett