Valued Contributor

I had a precancerous spot about the size of a nickle on my cheek frozen at the dermatologist's on Thursday morning.  By the end of the day it had blistered and over the next day the blister grew in size.  I have never had this done before and was not sure what to expect.  But having a blister the size of a grape sticking out from my face was a surprise.  I was being super careful of the blister so I would not pop it while sleeping or otherwise.  But, it popped (exploded actually) this morning and I am not quite sure how to treat it.  I have had blisters before but never on my face and never from a medical procedure.  

I tried google and am not getting very useful information.  I am just trying to figure out if I should cover it or leave it uncovered.  And if I should put ointment or cream on it.  The skin that is left is like a little brown crust around the bottom.  I just don't want to end up with a huge scar on my face (this is high on my cheek near my eye so in an area that moves with facial expressions).  All I can guess is that the temple on my glasses must have bumped it.

Anyone have any experience with a popped facial blister from having a growth treated at the dermatologist?  I can call them, but not until Monday.

Honored Contributor

My friend I eat with every day first had some pre-cancerous spots removed from her face near her mouth.

The Dr freeze-dryed (whatever it's called) those two spots.  The dried spots looked really bad for weeks.

Then when she went back for a check-up the Dr cut off this time more spots!  Her face (for weeks) looked like a mess with very, very dry and red spots on her face around her nose and mouth.

She said she's find another dermatologist.  None of them were actually cancer.  She's been out of town for 2 weeks.  I'm anxious to see if any of this has caused scaring on her face.

The Dr told her not to cover the spots and gave her some kind of cream to put on them but all they did was make it look worse.

Honored Contributor

@ceekay 

I cannot add anything here about what to do for it because I have no experience with this.

Can you go to the er?

Or a walk-in emergency center?

Better yet,

call the derm who performed this...shouldn’t he have someone on call?

You are dealing with an issue that could be serious (probably isn’t)

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

I have had several done on hands and face. The blisters have to pop before they can heal. I didn't baby mine but let them pop.  It takes several weeks for them to heal and redness at the  spot can last month's .But after about a year, I can say they are less noticeable than the spots were before the procedure .Because I am very fair and got too much sun when I was young, I expect I will probably need some of these done at every annual visit to the Dermatologist .Just how it is as we age .

Contributor

@ceekay 

If there's nobody on call for your doctors office your pharmacist might have advice.

Or a walk in clinic if you're worried.

Esteemed Contributor

@ceekay      I go to an exceptional dermatologist who specializes in lasers. I have had places frozen and friends have and they do as you described. 

He usually gives a sample packet of triple antibiotic to apply. 

Or to prevent scaring neosporin ( it’s not greasy.)

He uses a machine that he researched called Gentle Waves. It’s similar to some I’ve seen on QVC. (I can’t vouch for those).

His machine boosts collagen and heals 3x faster. He has even used it on military wounds. It’s a long terrible drive to his office so I purchased one from him and use it often. (medical quality a bargain at $10,000.) I just healed a bad scratch in two days. 

The Gentle waves refines skin texture and reduces pores and inflammation. Obviously the price isn’t for everyone. I wish you were close so I could let you use it.

I have used the machine on two friends and healing is remarkable! But the small amount of antibiotic is what he also recommended. Ask your Dr about David McDaniel.

Honored Contributor

@VancouverUSAgal   I've read through responses here and I'd like to ask to clarify some things if I may.

Spots - you & others use this term. Are you meaning sun spots/age spots? Is laser the usual method to remove these spots? And is it common to get blisters afterwards?

I understand you've done this bofore. May I ask about scarring?

Honored Contributor

@ceekay,

After having nearly 17 pre cancers removed in the last 2+ years, I assure you I am an expert on these.

The blister did exactly what it was supposed to do, they pop when they’re ready; do not panic, and no you don’t need to call anyone.   

Now that the blister has popped, it will start to dry.  At this point I am usually told to keep the site clean with a solution of 3-1 peroxide and water a few times a day.   Once the dryness is visible, I start using Bacitracin to help it heal.   

You should have received some some type of similar instructions for after care.   Otherwise, these need to be left alone as the freezing effect is still working on the layers of skin that are affected by the burning.  It will be fine.

Best wishes to you.

Honored Contributor

@ceekay 

I have had several pre cancerous spots frozen, with Nitrogen, on my face/arms/chest and back. I have had others that had to be cut and/or removed via laser.

My face was effected the most. First it had red colored skin where the frozen procedure was done, 1 included my eye lid. They changed color as days went by, then started to look and feel like big scabs. My dermatologist told me this was a normal reaction to this type of dermatological treatment.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

Thanks to everyone for the input.  It is looking much better this morning (I did cover it overnight).  This was my 2nd visit ever to a dermotologist (last time was over 25 years ago) so basically a new experience.    

@RedTop - interestingly, they did not give me any kind of instructions.  Only said it would look bad for about a week.  My husband has had moles frozen and I (mistakenly) thought this would be similar.  Anyhow, bacitracin is my friend.

@1Snickers - the Gentle Waves info is interesting.  I see several practices in my area that offer this. 

@hckynut - your experience is kind of what I was expecting.  And probably will experience now that the blister popped.  

Thanks again to everyone who commented!