Honored Contributor

Re: Poor Lasik outcome resulting in suicidal tendencies?

I know many people that have had it and never had a problem. I believe this is a new type procedure. Other people that had it reported feeling like they had paper cuts all in their eyes.

Super Contributor

@Big Joanie wrote:

I Also understand that further on down the line cataract surgery

is more difficult with people that have had Lasik surgery .....

I had lasik surgery on both of my eyes in 2001. It was very successful -- my vision was amazing within 2 days after surgery. Fifteen years later, I needed cataract surgery on both eyes. I was told that because I had had lasik surgery, they could not guarantee the exact outcome I would have after cataract surgery. There was a possiblility I would need glasses for my distance vision.Well, that didn't happen. I actually have 20/20 distance vision now and NO glasses or contacts!  So, just because you have had Lasik surgery does not mean you will have any problems with cataract surgery.

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Honored Contributor

There should be much more publicity about these awful events if suicide has been caused by the lasik procedures so highly touted recently. I have never heard of anyone taking their own life due to poor results or pain from lasik. Horrifying. Guess those making the money off of Medicare are paying the media to keep it quiet?
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]
Honored Contributor

Re: Pfoor Lasik outcome resulting in suicidal tendencies?

I was thinking about doing it many years ago....even made an appointment to have it done.   Then I did a lot of googling and Dr google talked me out of it. So many people SAid DON'T DO IT!  So I did not.

Honored Contributor

So very sad that this can happen.

Honored Contributor

Wow!  Shocking to read, but not really surprised.  

-----------------------

I didn't read all the relies - so I apologize if this is a repeat:

" Because Lasik is completely unnecessary and carries significant risk to a vital sensory organ, the Lasik industry will do whatever is necessary to conceal the problems. Please read the following article and consider the psychological toll that surgical complications take on patients. Lasik is no different. Are you willing to accept this hidden risk of Lasik? "

lasikcomplications dot com/suicide.htm

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
There should be much more publicity about these awful events if suicide has been caused by the lasik procedures so highly touted recently. I have never heard of anyone taking their own life due to poor results or pain from lasik. Horrifying. Guess those making the money off of Medicare are paying the media to keep it quiet?

What?  I don't understand your comments.  Medicare does not cover any non medically necesssary corrective eye surgery including Lasik.

I addition, no one makes any money from Medicare.  The Medicare allowance for covered medical services are the lowest they can be.

Many providers will only allow so many Medicare parents because they lose money for many procedures.  Many providers do not accept Medicare's allowance for the very same reason.

Honored Contributor

My son has poor vision and I had suggested lasik to him a few years ago.  Just recently he was seriously considering it and after hearing about the negative effects and this poor woman I've told him I didn't think it was a good idea any longer.