Trusted Contributor

Poor Lasik outcome resulting in suicidal tendencies?

Apparently it's been happening. A local Detroit area meteorologist is rhe latest casualty- taking her own life at age 36. She left behind her spouse and 2 small children. This is such a heartbreaking story for her family and friends. She posted a message when she was set to return to work post-op that there were some complications, but she was working hard to be able to return to the job.

Has anybody heard of suicide risk increase due to poor Lasik outcome?  

dee

Trusted Contributor

Re: Poor Lasik outcome resulting in suicidal tendencies?

@deedledeedeedle... No I haven't heard of this and this is just so tragic and heartbreaking!!! Did it say what her complications were? So bad that she wouldn't be able to see or ??? But to leave behind 2 small children and a husband?? It must have been really bad for her not to think of her small children if she took her life!! You have to be to the point of no return to not think of your small children. How incredibly heartbreaking!! Prayers to that family. Oh my gosh! 

Honored Contributor

@deedledeedeedle.  Almost impossible to read your green print.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

After I read this post, I went online to investigate this situation.  I was surprised to find that in 1 out of 5 procedures, you end up with worse eyesight and a lot of information that is normally not discussed.  Please read a lot if your are considering this procedure.  I'm going to continue to research.  You might want to read A Hard Look at Lasik Surgery.  And yes there have been suicides due to intolerable unlivable pain ....although uncommon, important to know all risks to elective surgery.

Honored Contributor

I have never heard of this.

I am a patient of a extremely poor LASIK outcome.  Thank goodness I only had surgery on my right eye.  I lost most of my vision in that eye, but have no pain.  It seems like I am looking through a piece of waxed paper or Vaseline smeared over glass.

I am very fortunate that a wonderful eye doctor believed that I could not see and no amount of magnification made my eyesite any better.  She spent all day running tests on me.  I was in her office from 8 am until 5 pm one day.  She saw me between other patients. I went to several other eye doctors and they acted like they did not believe me.

She fitted me with a special large contact lens that is made up of a hard lens with a soft skirt that is expensive, but covered by medical insurance.  I have been diagnosed with keratoconus . My cornea is extremely thin now.  I need to wear the contact lens to even see that large letter E on the top of the eye chart.

I am not happy about what happened to me, but I have never felt like committing suicide over it.  Even if it was both eyes, I could and would deal with it.

I have also had a cataract removed and had a torn retina repaired on the same eye since I had LASIK surgery.

This is really too bad.  I always advise people to think twice about having unnesceesary eye surgery like LASIK surgery, but I am ignored.

Even my DIL ignored me and had the surgery.  Afterward she said hers was successful because she went to the best eye doctor in the area.  She was surprised to find out I used the same doctor for my surgery.

I am shocked that LASIK centers are popping  up all over with discount rates and doing surgery on an assembly line.

It surely is something to think about and very sad.

Esteemed Contributor

We all want to look are best. How much risk are you willing to take?  A person can buy many pairs of glasses. We only get one set of browns, blues, or greens.

Respected Contributor

I Also understand that further on down the line cataract surgery

is more difficult with people that have had Lasik surgery .....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It seems that any elective surgery that could damage one's senses, are not worth the risk. There are TV personalities that wear glasses and I don't find it objectionable.

Honored Contributor

@Carmiethese people were in excruciating pain, constantly. I think the pain drove them to it ,more than the blindness

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry  Yes, there was no relief from the relentless excruciating pain.  It was not about the blindness:

Max Cronin, Colin Dorrian and Officer Lawrence Campbell, all committed suicide, and all wrote notes suggesting that they experienced excruciating pain after laser eye surgery that made life unlivable. 

@cherry wrote:

@Carmiethese people were in excruciating pain, constantly. I think the pain drove them to it ,more than the blindness