Honored Contributor

Calamine lotion helps, if it's not a severe case.

When I work outside, I dress like an amish beekeeper and I still get it.

I've had it so bad I went to a dermatologist for treatment.

The prescription stuff clears it up almost immediately

Valued Contributor

Thank you all so much. I am going on a search tomorrow and have written down  names of several of the products. Gardening is all new to me as my husband was the gardener and moving forward I think I will have a minimal yard area. LOL I love flowers and I appreciate his gardening now for sure. I also learned about three leafed weeds!!!

Honored Contributor

I had it so bad one time on my arms I had to wrap my arms in cotton gauze and wear long sleeves so I could go to work. I used cortisone cream to heal it up and took Benadryl for the itch. I have not had poison ivy that severe since.

Respected Contributor

Years ago my DH told me that when he was a kid and got Poison Ivy he would jump in his backyard pool and that usually took care of the itching.

It's the chlorine.

Frequent Contributor

oh lordy,.. this thread stirs up some very scary past memories.. lol.. I had a case so bad one time, I remember sitting in a tub, full of bleach, pouring hot water, straight from my coffee maker, ( plain water ) straight into the bath.. the burn, felt so good.. about burnt all of my skin off, but, I still itched like hell.. would scrape a fork over the infection, and then run a hair dryer over it, .. times were bad lol..   I learned to be VERY cautious of " leaves of 3. beware of me " after that terrible episode.

Btw - was preg, way back then, and no Dr would prescribe me steroid to help cure,.. GAH.. so, I was literally left to try all the wacky home meds myself,. Calamine, oatmeal baths,, ( I dont think the rental apt I was in that long ago, ever had decent plumbing after my oatmeal baths  O.o ) ,, name it,.. Im sure I tried it,,, sadly some ppl, are just WAY more vunerable to poison then others, or, so Im told anyhow at least.

My sincere condolcences, to any, going through this miserable mishap! - steroid prescribed med tho, all the way, would be my recommendation.

Tip tho - try not to scratch..- when u burst the bubbles, the poisun, can and will spread. ( dont do ANY of the thiings, I mentioned above lol,.. they are TERRIBLE )  xD

Honored Contributor

Image result for feel better soon images

Valued Contributor

I purchased The tecnu and immediately after using the scrub I felt relief. I think a couple of more days it will be gone. At least the itching subsided immediately. I will never be without this. To think my husband suffered from sumac contact and usually ended up at the drs. . Now I know what misery he was in.

thank you all

Esteemed Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@Elom - I usually get it every year - sometimes have to have a shot.  But the past two years, if I'm outside working I come in and use one of my Skinn facial wipes (with goats milk) and I swear that has kept it off of me.   I think it has something to do with the goats milk in it - maybe it neurtralizes the ivy oil?  I get the Sweet Grass wipes and keep them in my refrigerator and use them when I come in - face, arms, neck.  I've been using them for 2 years and haven't gotten poison ivy once!  I also use them if I have a bug bite - instantly soothes the area and the itching stops. 

Did you know goats can eat poison ivy?  Maybe you're on the right track with something in goat milk.