Honored Contributor

Re: Please share your vitamine regimine

[ Edited ]

@Laura14 wrote:

@SeaMaiden  I am sharing the American Heart Association's recommendation based on recent studies that seem to confirm it does not help most people and can be downright dangerous if you are not at high risk for heart attacks. It is not a personal opinion.

According to them, it should be done only with a doctor's recommendation which is what I said.  If you have one, fabulous. Carry on.  

If not, it is not recommended by professionals that you start. 

It's called being a nice person and waving a caution flag for those who may not be aware which is what the previous poster asked for.  I don't want to see anyone inadvertently cause a health issue for themselves because they didn't know.         

@Laura14  Just good to keep and open eye an mind about the back ground of The American Heart Association....   

Alternative theories don’t support their revenue, or the revenue of their many corporate supporters, which include Monsanto, Big Pharma companies like Amarin, Amgen, AstraZeneca, Merck, Pfizer, as well as lobby groups like Ag Canada, and the Canola Oil Council.  What we can clearly understand about the AHA (aside from it’s insanely poor dietary advice), is that this health association founded to help reduce the leading cause of death in America, is being lobbied and accepting sponsorships from corporations and individuals who have conflicts of interest.

I don’t know if the founders of the AHA always had a plan to profit, but somewhere along the way their purpose changed from fighting heart disease and stroke, to propagating the agenda of corporations; to generate revenue for whomever is willing to write a check.

Honored Contributor

No need to take them, only if your Dr. advises.

Honored Contributor

@EastCoastGal

Don't consider an 81mg baby aspirin as a "vitamin". Heart attack times 2 for me, been taking since 2003. Gotta go back to my original post and change it, but not for the baby aspirin.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Usually just B-12, although right now I am taking a prescription vitamin D-2 along with D-3 to correct a vitamin D deficiency.  I have my blood retested in a month to see if it's back in the normal range.

Honored Contributor

My supplements would be meaningless to post here as they are individual to me.

Honored Contributor

I have bloodwork done every three months. If I need a vitamin the Doctor lets me know. Usually when the next bloodwork rolls around that vitamin is back to normal.

Esteemed Contributor

@EastCoastGal,  to your question:

I have heart issues, but 4 years ago was told to immediately STOP taking a daily 81mg aspirin, likewise I don't live in the sunbelt, but was told to STOP taking any vitamin D supplement.

There is no  "everyone should take ..."

@Reever

Just like my Rx meds, the supplements I take address very specific past & current medical issues, and whether to continue each supplement is reviewed each time I see one of my docs. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been interested in supplementation since the early 90's. Experimented a lot over the years. Here is my current lineup-

For my Hashimoto's: Selenium, Zinc, and Probiotics

To protect brain function: CoQ10, PQQ, Ginko Biloba, and Mega B-Stress

For my Dry Eye (and general eye health): Heyedrate's Omega-3, Andrew Lessman's Ultimate Eye Support, Astaxanthin, and Life Extension's Tear Support (with Maqui Berry).

For bone and joint protection: Life Extension's Bone Restore with Vit. K2, Neocell Collagen-C, and Consult Health's Joint Solution

For sleep: Magnesium and Andrew Lessman's Night Time

For general vanity's sake: Consult Health's Beaute Caps

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@morganjen... For sleep, you mentioned you take Magnesium and Andrew Lessman's Night Time. Do you feel they help you sleep? I've had insomnia all my adult life and I'm looking for a change from what I take. For instance, it used to take me a couple hours (!!!) to fall asleep...then I would wake up at 4:30 a.m. with no chance of falling back to sleep. I was lucky if I got 3 or 4 hours of sleep! I worked for 36 years and it was difficult working with so little sleep! Are your sleep issues as serious as mine? Thank you. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14 wrote:

@EastCoastGal  In regards to the low dose aspirin, studies came out a few years ago saying that, for most people, the risks don't outweigh the benefits. 

For anyone considering it, do not start this regimen unless you happen to be in the high risk heart attack group as determined by your doctor.  

Hi @Laura14 ... I up-dated many of my procedures this past summer and each doctor saw my vitamin/OTC/medication list and I was asked to update it. Not one doctor told me not to take the baby aspirin...probably because my mother's record is also part of my record. She had her first heart attack when she was in her 40's, Had her first by-pass right after that heart attack then another heart attack later... then 2 more heart surgeries...so I was wrong in saying that taking a baby aspirin didn't have anything to do with my mother's record. Both of my Mom's parents had heart problems also. I guess I would fall into the category you mentioned "high risk heart attack group as determined by your doctor". I rarely go by what any article says although the article you read said "the risks don't outweigh the benefits" so that's good..and I do appreciate your comments!!

My Mother lived to be 88 and, surprisingly, she didn't pass from her heart!! It was COPD (which I now have) and Mersa. My Dad smoked...only one in our home who did so it was secondary smoke that caused it for us.