Respected Contributor

Re: Please share your home remedies and health hacks before this board is gone!

Another method to get rid of hiccups is to eat a teaspoon of peanut butter. It always worked for my 5 children.

Trusted Contributor

Funny hiccup remedy:  my husband suddenly lets out a blood curdling scream.  I jump five feet in the air and  get mad, but the hiccups stop!

You can also breath into a paper bag, but the scream technique works better. 

You can also hold your nose and take tiny sips of water from a glass without breathing.  That works for a lady at the office.

Honored Contributor

@Enufstuff wrote:

Another method to get rid of hiccups is to eat a teaspoon of peanut butter. It always worked for my 5 children.

Well, that is certainly much more pleasant than trying to choke down a tsp of sugar!   I LOVE peanut butter.  Thanks!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

Funny hiccup remedy:  my husband suddenly lets out a blood curdling scream.  I jump five feet in the air and  get mad, but the hiccups stop!

You can also breath into a paper bag, but the scream technique works better. 

You can also hold your nose and take tiny sips of water from a glass without breathing.  That works for a lady at the office.

Now that you mention it, I do remember the 'scare' method.  I just can't do that but, IIRC, it worked.

I just take one normal drink of water from my bottle of Crystal Geyser.  I've never tried the holding the nose bit but whatever works, eh?  Smiley Happy   I drink my water COLD, but I don't know if that is part of it or not.  I just don't like water that's not refrigerated cold.

Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover @Can we borrow your husband to just hang out indefinitely until we get the hiccups and need his help? 😁

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@PilatesLover @Can we borrow your husband to just hang out indefinitely until we get the hiccups and need his help? 😁

HA HA HA HA! Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Apple cider vinegar, cotton balls and waterproof first aid tape to get rid of plantar warts.

I had a couple plantar warts on my foot and tried different remedies to get rid of them.  Only one worked.

I would wet a cotton ball with ACV and squeeze it out, then tape it to each wart with waterproof first aid tape before bed (and cover my foot with a sock).  I did this every night.  I would scrape away dead tissue with tweezers each day.  Eventually the "roots" of the warts turned dark.  One day I was able to scrape them away easily with the tweezers.

My foot looked kinda gross while I was treating it, but returned to normal after awhile.

Squirrel foot close up | Animal photo, Squirrel, Animals

See?  Everything okay now.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Esteemed Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

Kyolic garlic capsules - two a day to ward off colds.  Four a day if you don't take them regularly (or stop taking them for a period of time, or simply forget to take them for a while) and actually get a cold of some kind. I find that even when I take every other supplement for a cold, if I have forgotten the to take the garlic capsules, I don't recover nearly as quickly. Back in the day, if I took a multivitamin regularly and two Kyolic capsules in the morning, I was impervious to whatever everyone around me was coughing and sneezing and nose-blowing in the office. It was pretty impressive.

This will probably get poofed soon, so copy and paste it for posterity's sake, if you are so inclined.

Garlic is also a remedy for high blood pressure, but can cause blood pressure that is too low in those who are already taking blood pressure medications.

And if you have low blood pressure, I would not recommend taking garlic supplements unless you enjoy passing out.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

I am waiting for someone to post thier home remedy for age spots, sigh...nothing works.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I am waiting for someone to post thier home remedy for age spots, sigh...nothing works.

@Mom2Dogs  - I've used aloe vera gel on my face and neck for almost 35 years.   It was mostly about keeping away any acne-type thing, even though I didn't have that problem, and also keeping the wrinkles away.

One time, several years ago, it looked like I was getting some of those age spots on my hands (the back of the hands).  

So, I started also putting the aloe vera gel on my hands also and they went away.   I haven't had one come back yet!