Esteemed Contributor

Re: Please read, may save a life! Warning: long

My second toe from the big toe had a purple nail. I didn't think much about it until I showed it to my doctor. She sent me to a dermatologist. The dr looked at my toe and said I must have stubbed it and I had a mild infection. She told me to soak it three times a week with a vinegar solution. She said that a movie star had died because they ignored the discoloration of the toe. You are right it can be cancerous. She told me my nail would fall off but it would grow back. Sure enough the toe nail fell off and now the toe is heeled. This was a really eye opening moment.

Respected Contributor

I have been following this thread but have not seen if the op got her test results.

I hope it was good news.

Can anyone update me?

Thanks.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama wrote:

@Imadickens

So jewel, did you get the results?

@Bird mama Thank you for asking. No, not yet! I called when I was told and doc said some of the things for which I was being cultured can take up to 6 weeks to come back! Talk about painful waiting! The longer it takes the more worried I am. She thinks it's a form of fungal infection. But, since it's taking so long to return I'm beginning to think it's NOT that which makes me worry its, ... You are sweet to remember I'm waiting! Thanks, and I hope to hear by next Tues.

@wonderfulworld Thank you, too! Not yet, Soon, I hope, very soon!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

@Imadickens  You are better than me.  I would have said, I don't care if there is a fungus amongus - that I can handle.  Is it melanoma for Pete's sake!?!   I would have then suggested that melanoma is the first thing we should be ruling out, not some funky fungus.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@Imadickens  You are better than me.  I would have said, I don't care if there is a fungus amongus - that I can handle.  Is it melanoma for Pete's sake!?!   I would have then suggested that melanoma is the first thing we should be ruling out, not some funky fungus.

@Bird mama We think alike! I encouraged her to biopsy it then but she wanted to do it this way! (Maybe ins. only pays if fungal inf. ruled out first? Even then, I'd have paid! I even took my son to drive me home from biopsy!  Truth? I'd have been just as happy had she taken my toe off!) I did ask how long was too long to get diagnosis. I've had it about six months now! She said "years". I'm sure she was trying to give me hope, even so, I figure I'm ok until next week. After that,I may operate myself!

Honored Contributor

@Imadickens   Girl, we could be related, lol.  I'd rather lose a toe than my dam foot.

Honored Contributor

@Imadickens  Any news on the toe girlie?

Trusted Contributor

A coworker's brother had melanoma inbetween 2 toes.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Esteemed Contributor

The real danger of melanoma...

A frightening case of melanoma is putting the spotlight on skin cancer and pregnancy.

A young mom who discovered that melanoma had spread throughout her body while carrying her second child died three weeks after her diagnosis.

Danielle Janofsky of Williamstown, New Jersey, was six months pregnant when she went to the hospital complaining of abdominal pains on Feb. 8. Doctors found melanoma that had spread to her liver, kidney, stomach and brain. 

Her son was delivered via C-section about two weeks later, with Janofsky apparently waiting as long as she could for the birth so the baby could develop.

“She made the selfless and loving decision to deliver baby Jake on Friday February 24th thereby sacrificing herself so that her son could live,” the family notes.

Janofsky died on February 27. She was 30.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for asking! Believe it or not, I JUST got the results! It was good news...no cancer, but I have a yeast infection in my toe! Weird! I have med to apply daily. Honestly, the longer it took, the more I thought it was bad news. I figured if it were an infection of sorts, it would have shown up sooner. Thank God I was wrong! I really appreciate how much everyone cared! Thanks!