Respected Contributor

Re: Please read, may save a life! Warning: long

[ Edited ]

@Imadickens ~ life sure can throw us curveballs...praying for an "all clear" for you!  Thank you so much for posting this important information❤️

Honored Contributor

I've had faint black lines on my left hand thumbnail. I've had it for at least 20 years, has stayed the same, never changed. I always have my derm take a look at it. He doesn't seem concerned with the looks of mine.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@Imadickens  I had no idea!  Best of luck to you.

Respected Contributor

Although I was already aware that discolored nails or blackened areas on nails can be cancerous I am glad you showed it to your doctor. Hope your test comes back fine and you will be alright. I go yearly to my dermatologist that checks me all over for any cancerous moles or marks. I had a friend who has a huge hole in her shoulder from a cancerous mole that grew and she had surgery on it. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks for posting.  And I'm glad your physician made you go and have it checked out.

I go twice a year for a full body mole check by my derm and toes and fingernails and scalp are checked.  I am high risk because I have a lot of small moles and several very serious sunburns when I was a kid growing up near the beach.

It's such a simple thing, painless thing but very important.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@Imadickens

Wow, I never knew.  Thanks for sharing sweetie and I pray that it's just bruised skin under the nail and nothing more serious.

I bruised the heck out my big toe last July.  Nail fell off in November and I'm almost past the Frakentoe stage.  A bruised nail takes forever to grow out.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Valued Contributor

I feel very blessed that you took the time to warn us   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@noodleann wrote:

Thank you so much for posting this. You may have saved a life, or two, or three. I hope, hope, hope that you have good news in two weeks, and will look forward to hearing about the all-clear. And if it's not, we're with you. Never forget that. Heart

Thank you so very much! The response has been so wonderful! As hopeful as I am there still lingers the possibility... I will cross that if it comes! I can't tell you enough how you have made me feel cared hor! I really have very little family left and hate to talk to my kids about it! As an aside, my daughter was seeing a neuro about problems her brain tumor has begun causing while I was at doc! She wanted me to go with her but I couldn't. So, husband went. They did blood work and will repeat EEG. Tumor hasn't changed but it is still giving her seizures! That's why I hate to scare her until I know anything and why your caring means so much. Thanks again! I feel very loved.

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

Thanks for posting.  And I'm glad your physician made you go and have it checked out.

I go twice a year for a full body mole check by my derm and toes and fingernails and scalp are checked.  I am high risk because I have a lot of small moles and several very serious sunburns when I was a kid growing up near the beach.

It's such a simple thing, painless thing but very important.

You are so smart to get checked annually! My skin coloring is not considered likely to get cancer, even though I wear fair foundation! I have brown eyes and dark hair (before the gray!) However, I had an odd mole that sat right under where a dress zipper would hit up my back. From the time I was ten it made me cringe so at 25 I had a surgeon remove it! Thank goodness, it was the type that would have turned cancerous! I hope you keep checking out fine!🙏

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Valued Contributor

This was very helpful of you to post this!

I get checked every 6 months and my derm found a pinkish area on my chest area  (I notice everything and I didn't notice this!)  

Anyway, she did a biopsy and it was Squamous cancer.  She removed it a week later.  For those that don't know, there's Basal, Squamous and Malignant Melomana.  

I work in a large company and actually did a short article on it to share with the employees.  I think everyone should get checked by a derm  ---  it certainly doesn't hurt!