Honored Contributor

Re: Please read about viewing the eclipse

This optometrist has sure gotten some undeserved publicity, but the American Optometry Asssociation does not agree with his opinion. 

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

This optometrist has sure gotten some undeserved publicity, but the American Optometry Asssociation does not agree with his opinion. 

@september  Yes...They are probably hoping for more business$$$$$$ after the idiots who look at the sun  start having sight issues....☀️😎

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@september wrote:

@september  Yes...They are probably hoping for more business$$$$$$ after the idiots who look at the sun  start having sight issues....☀️😎

I wouldn't sell them short, as you are.  They are concerned with the eye health of all of their patients, and everyone out there. 

Why are are you calling people who want to view the eclipse, safely, "idiots"?  

people have been doing this without problems for a long long time.  I believe the last big eclipse that numerous people were able to watch was in Australia.  Do you have any data on how many of those "idiots" went blind as a result?

Respected Contributor

@september wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

It is 100% safe to watch it on TV.  I don't understand why anyone would want to view it any other way.  I guess it would be like going to the Super Bowl, but more hazardous, vs watching it on TV. Thanks for posting @SeaMaiden.

I would much rather go to the Super Bowl in person, than watch it on tv.  Same with the eclipse or just about anything. 

I'd have to say that most of the things I find challenging, interesting, or fulfilling, are not 100% safe.  I'll take my chances and enjoy my life without being overly fearful.

If you want to look at it, go ahead.

People who are not chosing to look at it, are making an informed decision.  I'd rather not "take my chances" with my eyes.  I only have one set.

Honored Contributor

IMO, this is old news, but I guess some people still  need to be reminded of this.  

As far as I can recall, I've never been able to see any eclipse ... it was cloudy, or I was in the wrong part of the country to see it best, or I forgot about it  and the time had passed ... or whatever.   I just catch the photos on the news that evening.   Safe for my eyes, and good photos.

Respected Contributor

@september wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@september wrote:

I wouldn't sell them short, as you are.  They are concerned with the eye health of all of their patients, and everyone out there. 

Why are are you calling people who want to view the eclipse, safely, "idiots"?  

people have been doing this without problems for a long long time.  I believe the last big eclipse that numerous people were able to watch was in Australia.  Do you have any data on how many of those "idiots" went blind as a result?

She never said people who want to view the eclipse safely are idiots. You put in the word "safely". 

Respected Contributor

Neil DeGrasse also said you can hold a colander (the one with the holes in metal, not mesh strainers) in front of you and look down at the ground. All the small holes will create images (shadows) on the ground of the eclipse.

Honored Contributor

If I lived in one of the prime viewing areas, I'd have bought recommended, certified (or whatever) safe glasses well in advance and paid what good ones cost. You can also cut the cardboard ones and tape them over a phone lens (and maybe a regular camera's lens) and take photos.

But where I live, although theoretically we'll briefly see 70-something percent, in reality there's a 90% chance we won't see anything because we have clouds, fog and overcast much of the day and certainly between 9-10 am most of the time in July and August. If this was happening a month later than it is, there would be a good chance, but not next week :-( so TV it will be for me.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Very popular event. I hope everybody does careful research to protect their precious retinas. Heart

Respected Contributor

LOL, people will argue about anything.   For me, watching it on tv is about like watching fireworks on tv.   You just don't get the full effect.

As far as welding goggles, a welding arc is a lot brighter than the sun, and closer to your eyes.  We have two plates that put them above the level that they suggest is needed.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*