Honored Contributor

Re: Please give some advice for rosacea.

I have had problems with rosacea for a long time. I knew it was bad when one of my students told me I got too much sun over the weekend - and it wasn't even summer! I tried all of the topical things and nothing worked. After we moved, my new dermatologist put me on a low dose of Oracea. DH knows a lot about drugs, so he wasn't convinced. After she talked to him on the phone, he was OK with it. It's a very low dose. It cleared me right up. People can't believe I "have" it. 

If I were you, I'd try another dermatologist and ask him about Oracea. The pustules can be severe and eventually cause pain. I know you want your DH to be pain free. I'm sure something will help him. Good luck! 

Respected Contributor

The nose deformity is common to males with rosecea.  Spicey foods, tomato products, red wine and the sun all exacerbate the problem.  I have not had a flare in a years, but I have a prescription peroxide wash and an antibiotic cream that I use at the first sign of a blemish.  One of the dangers of rosecea is that it can spread to the eyes if left untreated.

Honored Contributor

They do say that spicy food and alcohol can make this worse.  And temperature changes in the weather, such as very hot and very cold.  I have rosacea, too and I do notice that when I get hot or cold, or even anxious, upset, etc., mine tends to get worse.

Of course you are concerned for him and want him to feel and look his best.  I would think that he would feel some discomfort with it.  But if really doesn't want to do anything about it, you definitely can't force him.  Maybe he is just taking the approach that if he ignores it, it will go away!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@this is my nic wrote:

My husband has horrible rosacea on his nose.  It's quite deforming, and although he's being treated by a dermatologist, nothing seems to be working.  His skin isn't particularly red, but it's just full of bumps and pustules.  I try to not say much about it, he's not terribly concerned with his appearance, and I don't want to make him feel badly.  If I had this condition, I'd be at the dermatologist's every day until they got it under control!

If anyone has had success with a particular treatment, please tell me about it.  I know laser treatments can be done; does anyone have experience with this? 

Thanks!

I was able to get rid of my rosacia by treating the cause.  Undigested food in the stomach.  I would suggest he have his stomach acid level tested https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidelberg_test

Once it's rectified rosacia goes away in days and stays gone.

One of the side affects to the body of hypochlorhydria is rosacia.

Honored Contributor

There is no cure for rosacea and you can only slow the progress and reduce flare ups.

There are a lot of medications, both oral and topical, both long term and short term.

His derm will only be as aggressive as your DH wants to be with this.

As others have stated, diet may help.  If you go to Whole30, you will see a LOT of success stories surrounding skin issues.  That's the #1 success of doing Whole30.  It's difficult to do and requires a huge commitment when you are motivated to do it.  If you aren't motivated, it's just failure waiting to happen.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Clyndimacin gel is the only thing that works for me.   I use that in combination with Bactrim antibiotics.....once it finally cleared up I now just spot treat with the topical gel at 1st sign of new breakout....have not had to use bactrim anitbiotics in 5 years or more.    

Respected Contributor

men's noses have the tendency to become more thickened and affected with papules. this is progressive over time and not sure if topical treatments will work once the skin has thickened. he may not care about his nose now but it may progress and become painful.

have you looked at co2 laser?  another method of paring down the thickened tissue is debridement. you could have him consult with a Plastic Surgeon - they can do the co2 laser. Perhaps the dermatologist has the equipment as well.

Real Self dot com is a helpful source.  Q&A with doctors and has lots of before and after pics of patients who write their experiences. do search on "Rhinophyma" and / or "Rosacea on Nose" "co2 laser for nose"

i have rosacea but mainly my nose  just gets red.  i used to use metrogel and finacea but since i no longer eat anything with dairy and i think that helped more than the topicals. alcohol does trigger redness. the top three offenders are : Red Wine; White Wine; and Beer.

Respected Contributor

Thanks so very much for all the suggestions! 

DH has been treated off and on for this for a few years.  He tends to give up on things if they don't work and hates to visit the Dr., so when the first treatment regimen didn't work, he just gave up.

I do not nag him about this, but occasionally will suggest that there are many treatments, etc. and just because the things that were tried didn't work, doesn't mean something else  wouldn't. 

BTW, for those who think I'm being a nag, I think anyone would be concerned too if their husband or other loved one had a severe condition that, with patience and trying different approaches, might be controlled.   Also, I rarely even mention anything about this problem, maybe 2x a year. 

Right now he's having a severe outbreak and I just read about lasering which is why I started this post.

Thanks again!

Honored Contributor

What are you looking for a magic mushroom?  The answer is obvious, he needs to see a dermatologist.  If he refuses to do that, there isn't much you can do about it.  He probably doesn't see doctors at all; however, on the outside chance that does have physicals; you should ask his Pcp to bring up the subject on his next visit.  It's a medical condition and there are treatments for it. 

Respected Contributor