Honored Contributor

Re: Please Everyone keep fingers crossed "Unexplained 25 lb. Weight Loss"

@millieshops wrote:

@proudlyfromNJHer doctor "let it go unchecked" or she didn'r call her weight loss to his/her attention?  I can't imagine my doctor not having an opinion!

But, he is so much on overload that I try to leave nothing much just to him to notice.  Years ago I did that.  Now.  I go in with my written list of concerns - from the most basic which for me is BP check and renewal of my script to any differences I've noticed in my form or my function.  It sometimes seems as if once I get himstarted paying attention to that list, he asks even more questions than he did when I wasn't so pro-active.

I don't think she drew it to his attention. I assume that her weight would be taken whenever she saw him and he should have noticed. He is over 80 years old and may be time to retire. 

Super Contributor

He is being seen today...... need everyones well wishes today......Thanks Everyone for posting........  it means alot !

@sfnative wrote:

@stargazergal

Please urge your SIL to make an appointment with his PCP for a comprehensive physical based on this dramatic weight loss.  This may be cause for concern.

God Bless

Honored Contributor

@Lolflowergirl2015 wrote:

The fingers crossed are for his doctors appointment today ~  hoping they find

it is not serious....... I am very concerned and just found out about this two days

ago....... please think positive thought for all of us.....thanks everyone for your posts. !

I could list a half dozen things it MIGHT BE right off the top of my head. He is a grown man and I would be surprised if he has not have some symptoms if something is seriously wrong with him.

Way too many men choose to ignore symptoms and it costs some of them dearly. Does he mention any symptoms? Is he like a Macho Man that thinks health issues happen only to other people?

Wait till he gets a diagnosis from his doctor visit and he can move on from there. Let everyone here know the reason after his doctor has made a diagnosis.

Worrying accomplishes nothing. Think good thoughts and other optimist, positive things.

hckynut(john) 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@flowergirl2015 wrote:

Our Son- inlaw has lost 25 lbs in the last I want to say couple of months?

I was just told about this yesterday, and had not noticed, but he wears

big sweatshirts, so would have been hard to notice.

I am hoping it is his thyroid..... or?

It is a lot of weight to lose, he is about 5'6 and his normal weight would

have been about 165 ?

Has anyone else ever heard of losing weight like this tied to thyroid or ???

Also...... any kind of testing that should be done first that anyone knows of?

Just in case?   Please everyone...... think positive thoughts for him today.

Thank you !!!

He has a Doctors Appointment Today !  I will keep you posted ~

@stargazergal

Please don't panic.

I went through the same thing last year, suddenly dropping 20 lbs. for no reason (no dieting and no exercise regime).

I spent a year going through every test known to man, including thyroid and searching for cancer somewhere in my body.

End result was that I'm perfectly healthy, no cancer, no thyroid problem and the only assumption my many Dr's came to was a change in my metabolism.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Super Contributor

Not a macho man...... a hard working family man and father.   Agree about the positive thoughts !   If he held out saying anything it would have been because he might have

been too afraid to ?  Or?  I have asked our daughter a few questions about it and

she says she wants to wait until after the appointment....... today.

As I have said, I only found out about this two days ago.

Just wanting everyones positive well wishes and to hear from anyone who

has experienced such a weightloss ~  

I appreciated everyones posts.   Thanks everyone !

@hckynut wrote:

@Lolflowergirl2015 wrote:

The fingers crossed are for his doctors appointment today ~  hoping they find

it is not serious....... I am very concerned and just found out about this two days

ago....... please think positive thought for all of us.....thanks everyone for your posts. !

I could list a half dozen things it MIGHT BE right off the top of my head. He is a grown man and I would be surprised if he has not have some symptoms if something is seriously wrong with him.

Way too many men choose to ignore symptoms and it costs some of them dearly. Does he mention any symptoms? Is he like a Macho Man that thinks health issues happen only to other people?

Wait till he gets a diagnosis from his doctor visit and he can move on from there. Let everyone here know the reason after his doctor has made a diagnosis.

Worrying accomplishes nothing. Think good thoughts and other optimist, positive things.

hckynut(john) 

Super Contributor

Thank you for your post !  I know he is always going, and works very hard!

Always out the door early and home about 6 in the evening from a long hard

days work...... busy all of the time.   Still 25 lbs is alot to lose.  I am glad

he is going in to be checked finally.....

Thank you so much for your post..... it gives me hope for a positive outcome.

It is nice to hear from persons who have experienced the same thing.

So Thank you !

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@flowergirl2015 wrote:

Our Son- inlaw has lost 25 lbs in the last I want to say couple of months?

I was just told about this yesterday, and had not noticed, but he wears

big sweatshirts, so would have been hard to notice.

I am hoping it is his thyroid..... or?

It is a lot of weight to lose, he is about 5'6 and his normal weight would

have been about 165 ?

Has anyone else ever heard of losing weight like this tied to thyroid or ???

Also...... any kind of testing that should be done first that anyone knows of?

Just in case?   Please everyone...... think positive thoughts for him today.

Thank you !!!

He has a Doctors Appointment Today !  I will keep you posted ~

@stargazergal

Please don't panic.

I went through the same thing last year, suddenly dropping 20 lbs. for no reason (no dieting and no exercise regime).

I spent a year going through every test known to man, including thyroid and searching for cancer somewhere in my body.

End result was that I'm perfectly healthy, no cancer, no thyroid problem and the only assumption my many Dr's came to was a change in my metabolism.

Honored Contributor

When I found out I was a diabetic I lost tons of unexplained weight. But what took me to the doctor was the uncontrollable thirst and excessive urination.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

You sound like a good MIL, asking for positive thoughts.  You got it!  Hopefully, this will be nothing, or a simple fix. 

Respected Contributor

@stargazergal

I am sending positive thoughts to your SIL and all those who love him.

At this point speculation will accomplish nothing but worries.

Honored Contributor

My first thoughts are diabetes.   My husband lost 28 lbs in less than 6 weeks when he got his diagnosis.