Respected Contributor

I increased the arch support in my shoes. It took a year to heal, but no problems since.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for all the suggestions. I really appreciate them. I think they will be very helpful for my daughter..Heart

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11

Hi to you my friend! As a runner for many decades I know all to well from my experiences with PF how painful it can be, and sometimes almost imposible to 100% heal for runners.

One time I had it on both feet at the same time, and my job also required lots of walking. I never quit running or skating, as my Sports Med Certified Podiatrist told me it would not make it worse. Just a matter of taking a lot longer to get rid of, and being able to handle the pain.

What helped me was: Putting Surgical Felt for heel lifts in both shoes/Icing, used to carry ice bags in my Igloo lunch box, would ice on each break, and my lunch/picking up marbles off the floor using only my toes, and putting them into the bowl I kept them in/More calf and Achilles Tendon Stretches, and just plain ole "wishing it would go away".

I had custom made Orthotics/never put more than 500 miles on a pair of shoes/never wore the same shoes on consecutive days, and trained more flat surfaces, very little uphill. 

Now I am talking about runners here, not people in general, because most the run regularly, have a body that is close to a good weight, and also are very particular about all their footwear, especially their running shoes. You will see a lot of replies to this thread, and a myriad of things that have worked for certain people, I am only telling you from my own perspective as a distance runner, what worked for me.

I sure hope you are doing well or at least holding your own. You have had a lot of not so good things happen to you health wise, but you are very strong and determined, which I truly admire.

Take good care and I hope you daughter is one of the lucky ones the finds a quick way to end here bout with Plantar Fasciitis.

JOhn(hckynut)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Trinity11

Hi to you my friend! As a runner for many decades I know all to well from my experiences with PF how painful it can be, and sometimes almost imposible to 100% heal for runners.

One time I had it on both feet at the same time, and my job also required lots of walking. I never quit running or skating, as my Sports Med Certified Podiatrist told me it would not make it worse. Just a matter of taking a lot longer to get rid of, and being able to handle the pain.

What helped me was: Putting Surgical Felt for heel lifts in both shoes/Icing, used to carry ice bags in my Igloo lunch box, would ice on each break, and my lunch/picking up marbles off the floor using only my toes, and putting them into the bowl I kept them in/More calf and Achilles Tendon Stretches, and just plain ole "wishing it would go away".

I had custom made Orthotics/never put more than 500 miles on a pair of shoes/never wore the same shoes on consecutive days, and trained more flat surfaces, very little uphill. 

Now I am talking about runners here, not people in general, because most the run regularly, have a body that is close to a good weight, and also are very particular about all their footwear, especially their running shoes. You will see a lot of replies to this thread, and a myriad of things that have worked for certain people, I am only telling you from my own perspective as a distance runner, what worked for me.

I sure hope you are doing well or at least holding your own. You have had a lot of not so good things happen to you health wise, but you are very strong and determined, which I truly admire.

Take good care and I hope you daughter is one of the lucky ones the finds a quick way to end here bout with Plantar Fasciitis.

JOhn(hckynut)

Hi @hckynut. Thank you for weighing in. A lot of good information as usual, my friend.

I have been reading about some set backs you have been having lately. The kidney bruise can be life-threatening...add to that the infection on your toe, broken nose and various other injuries and you need to rest and take care of yourself. I guess you could say I am worried. Please take it easy and allow yourself a break. 

Trusted Contributor

I was prescribed (you can buy them OTC) a Strassburg sock to sleep in. After a couple of weeks and no flat shoes I was good to go! It’s worth a try! Amazon has them too. Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

I had it twice.  What helped was to wear shoes with arch support.  After the first time I got lax and stopped wearing the arch support and it came back.  Now I only wear shoes with arch support and haven't had this painful problem for several years.

Super Contributor

OMG!....I went thru this a few years ago and it was awful! - thank God I have a high tolerance to pain...I go to work at 6:30 am and that's when it's at it's worse is the a.m when you wake up....there were quite a few times where I either went into work later or didn't go at all....one of my co-workers gave me some tips that definitely helped (one being to stop walking around the house barefoot - she said that she actually had a pair of sneakers that she had to wear in the house - but for me, I just wore a pair of cushioned flip flops)....although I came very close to seeking medical treatment, I did not have to....I definitely hope to never experience that again (I had less pain with my hysterectomy surgery).

Super Contributor

Re: Plantar Fascitis..

[ Edited ]

I agree with you @sidsmom!  The  boot you wear at night time that flexes your foot for all the hours you sleep is what cured mine in five days 

Also I know it may sound silly but while healing I wore comfortable wedges around the house even vacuumed with them Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Gsmom

5 days! That’s great!

After looking at the Strassburg Sock @newtoallthis suggested,

I would be apt to try that instead of the boot.

So many good ideas, but it’s the flexed foot at night 

which is the key...if anything, it will eliminate the ‘ouch’

when getting out of bed at night & in the morning. 

Trusted Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I had it twice.  What helped was to wear shoes with arch support.  After the first time I got lax and stopped wearing the arch support and it came back.  Now I only wear shoes with arch support and haven't had this painful problem for several years.

This definitely helps.

I also had a pair of custom orthotics made for me, too, and that basically took care of the problem for me.

I was walking a lot and standing a lot on floors that were not cushioned either, with cement flooring underneath, and that didn't help me, either.

Plus, I was wearing shoes without good support, and I have really flat feet, so it was a combination of situations for me that added to the problem for me.