Honored Contributor

Plantar Fasciitis

[ Edited ]

I have been dealing with this on/off for almost 2 years. It got worse because I was still trying to walk 4 miles at least 5 days per week. I started limping while walking it was so bad plus must also have tendinitis. I had to stop walking so I can let it heal. Now that it feels better I'm having trouble not limping since I limped around for so long.

I know a lot of other people have suffered with PF so just wanted to let you all know what I did that finally seemed to help. I have been using Life-Flo magnesium spray every night since I had been having a lot of muscle spasms. Since using it I no longer have them except one place where I had Shingles.

I read the magnesium would help dissolve calcium buildup so I started using the magnesium spray on my foot every night to see if that would help.

I have also been using ice packs daily around my ankle & bottom of my heel/foot. It seemed to help but I wanted more relief.

It says to ice the area so that's what I did. Finally I wondered if heat will help more.

I started using my DPL Flex Pad which is red/infrared deep penetrating light. After I used it on my foot I placed it around my ankle & used ice pack on foot.

While not using those I used a wood roller which feels good. I bought it from Amazon for around $10.

I paid around $125 for the DPL pad back when I had Shingles. I know it's expensive but I feel like along with it ice, heat, wood roller that I have finally found relief so I can walk. If my DPL quit working today I would not hesitate to buy another one.

I guess I will have to keep doing this daily if I want to keep walking.

Image result for heal pt wood roller

The only problem I have with the roller is that the black rubber bands on the ends come off every once in a while & don't know if I can get replacment bands as much as I use it.

Contributor

all the different ways you Re: Plantar Fasciitis

You should get orhotics for your walking shoes. You can get custom ones from a podiatrist but are very expensive, or Scholl's sell orthotics that work pretty well anf cost only around $50.00. Walmart or Walgreen's has the machine to tell you which ones you need.  These 2 options offer a long term solution and you should be able to start walking again shortly.  

Honored Contributor

Re: all the different ways you Re: Plantar Fasciitis

@romanO wrote:

You should get orhotics for your walking shoes. You can get custom ones from a podiatrist but are very expensive, or Scholl's sell orthotics that work pretty well anf cost only around $50.00. Walmart or Walgreen's has the machine to tell you which ones you need.  These 2 options offer a long term solution and you should be able to start walking again shortly.  

@romanO 

After all I have read online about podiatrist's & all the money people spent with no results I won't be going there. I'm not taking those steroid shots either. No way. I may try a pair of those from one of those machines. I have already spent too much money on tennis shoes trying to find the right ones. Birkenstock needs to make some. My hips hurt know from limping around. 

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz   I rememer you speaking about this problem before, so I'm glad to hear you are finally getting some relief from your pain.  I'm sure you've discovered that limping, or favoring one foot, can bring on other problems as well.

That's interesting about the magnesium spray.  I've never heard of a spray, but I do take 500mg of magnesium in the morning, and add another dose in the evening if I think I need more (about every other day).  I don't have problems with muscle spasms or heart palpations as long as I do that.  It also helps keep me regular!

I hope you've found out what was causing the PF in the first place.  I remember you said you had tried different shoes.  We have an orthopedic shoe store near here that can fit people with the right shoes.  Do you have anywhere near you like that?

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

My podiatrist recommends and uses Powerwalk or Powerstep (i can't remember which it is) insoles.  They are about 30 bucks--they are the blue ones.  I have terrible PF, along with some additional issues caused by no arches and they work very well.  I'm active and can't stand to sit still, so they are really a life saver.

Also, you can get a roller ball--it's about the size of a tennis ball and has "spikes'" on it and that works almost better than the roller bar you show.

Honored Contributor

@romanO 

Will my tennis shoes still fit with those orthotics?

I tried a heel cup but across the top of the shoe where laces are was tight.

Do they have a lot of cushioning.

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz 

Have you had an MRI?

A few years ago I had all the classic symptoms of PF.  I was in PT for 9 weeks where I had laser treatments.  I never improved and the pain became excruciating.   Finally I had an MRI and discovered I had a torn tendon.  New diagnosis so back to PT and I wore a walking boot on and off for months.  Still no improvement. (and horrendous pain)

Finally I had a stem cell infusion in my foot.  Almost immediately there was no pain.  I had custom orthotics made.  Wore them for awhile but hated them.

I have not had any symptoms since.

Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@Nightowlz   I rememer you speaking about this problem before, so I'm glad to hear you are finally getting some relief from your pain.  I'm sure you've discovered that limping, or favoring one foot, can bring on other problems as well.

That's interesting about the magnesium spray.  I've never heard of a spray, but I do take 500mg of magnesium in the morning, and add another dose in the evening if I think I need more (about every other day).  I don't have problems with muscle spasms or heart palpations as long as I do that.  It also helps keep me regular!

I hope you've found out what was causing the PF in the first place.  I remember you said you had tried different shoes.  We have an orthopedic shoe store near here that can fit people with the right shoes.  Do you have anywhere near you like that?

@2blonde 

I did find out it causes other problems. I found that out wearing different shoes. Birkenstock are pretty much the only ones I have found I can wear & not have knee, hip or back issues. It's amazing what the right shoe will do for you.

I have seen the magnesium spray mentioned here so thought I would try it with all the spasms I was having.

It kicked my blood pressure in the rear plus my heart palpitations stopped. I thought that was from my thyroid medication. My doctor wanted to put me in HBP meds but I refused until I could do some research. Now it's normal. 

I don't know what caused th PF. I figure it's from walking 4 miles at least 5 days per week on concrete. I have had it once in my right foot plus twice now in my left foot. It all started after we had tile floor installed. I used to go barefoot all the time. 

I just Googled Orthopedic shoe store in my area but it did not come up with anything.

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz  A heel cup won't help. You need orthotics.. They will provide arch support.  I have suffered with this in my right foot off and on for years. This past bout took one year to clear up. I had to give up walking for exercise.  It won't heal if you keep waking for miles at a time.   Also icing and using the wood roller bar helps. Cortisone shots did not help.  Never never never go barefoot. I found the best shoes for me are Clark's Cloud Steppers.  Good luck. I know how painful this is and if you have had it for as long as you have it can be debilitating. Sounds like you have found some releif and are on the way to healing. The podiatrist told me that this is actually an injury to the plantar fascia and it will heal in time. 

Honored Contributor

@DrKelli wrote:

My podiatrist recommends and uses Powerwalk or Powerstep (i can't remember which it is) insoles.  They are about 30 bucks--they are the blue ones.  I have terrible PF, along with some additional issues caused by no arches and they work very well.  I'm active and can't stand to sit still, so they are really a life saver.

Also, you can get a roller ball--it's about the size of a tennis ball and has "spikes'" on it and that works almost better than the roller bar you show.

@DrKelli 

I will check those out. What do I have to lose. It's like when I had Shingles. I was willing to try anything for the pain.

I know it's driving me crazy sitting here. Sitting & limping has made my hips & back hurt.

I did buy some tennis balls but the back/sides of my ankle also hurt so when I used the tennis ball it felt like it was too high off the ground. The roller lower to the ground was more comfortable for me. It also feels better. The roller came with one of those spike balls. When I use it & hit that spot I about hit the roof.

I also have a set of 2 GooseBumps Q sold years ago but they are a little to hard for me on my feet.