Honored Contributor

Re: all the different ways you Re: Plantar Fasciitis

@1Snickers wrote:

@Nightowlz  I’ve had plantar fasciitis alsio and tried  many   orthotics but the ones I wear are Orthaheel sold on QVC. I have them in my Aesics  shoes Dr recommend due to gel. 

I use regular but have used the sport also. 

The soft bed Birkenstock’s help. 

Orthaheel slippers are great! Good luck,

@1Snickers 

I tried Orthaheel insoles in my Brooks Adrenaline tennis shoes after their insole did not work for me. They are not helping either. I have some Vionics but they make my back hurt when I wear them.

Honored Contributor

Re: all the different ways you Re: Plantar Fasciitis

@patbz wrote:

@DrKelli :  Powerwalk inner soles are what my podiatrist also recommended.  That and periodic reflexology (foot massage) are what solved my problem.

@patbz 

I'll take that reflexology daily. LOL!!!

Have to get the blood flowing so it will heal.

Honored Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

Maybe if you have access to a pool(YMCA) etc you could do water walking, it would be easier on your feet!

@1Snickers 

We had a pool for around 25 yrs. That's how I used to get my exercise. I sure felt better being in the sun all day.

I rather do pilates but don't know where I would put one of those machines. DH said we don't use the dining room just put it in there. LOL!!! Not happening. I do have a Pilates chair & recumbent bike I use. I use my Pilates chair almost daily.

Esteemed Contributor

Orthotics were the only things that helped me. I worked 10 hours a day on my feet. I was crippled. Tried the roller things, ice, stretching and none helped. Finally I got them at a shoe store and wow! I wish I would have done it sooner. It would of saved me so much wasted time in pain. Wishing you a speedy recovery. 

Respected Contributor

I developed PF back in the late 90's when I lived in the Seattle area, from wearing some cute little Aerosoles shoes that were not supportive & were too flexible thru the mid foot. 

I went to a podiatrist, who diagnosed me (had never heard of PF) & gave me a list of shoes to shop for that had the type of support that I needed.  When I took the list to a shoe store, the list was so outdated that none of the shoes on it were availble anymore. 

I went to a Nordstrom store (Nordstrom started as a shoe store in Seattle) shoe dept. & told the salesman what my issues were.  He pulled a bunch of various brands & styles of shoes for me to try on to see which ones felt the best & supported my feet where they needed it & were rigid thru the mid foot with minimal side to side motion.  I chose a pair of Asics running shoes at that visit that really helped get my PF on the road to healing. 

My job at that time involved a lot of walking & the salesguy told me that I'd be able to tell when the support in the shoes were starting to wear out & the minute my feet started to hurt, get new shoes even if the outside of the shoes were still like new. 

I ended up needing to replace my shoes about every 3-4 months & the next pair of shoes I bought were a different brand, as the Asics no longer felt comfortable. 

Until I retired, I kept this up, & have worn New Balance (the higher model numbers worked best for me), Merrell, Brooks & a few others.  I don't go barefoot at home & if my PF pain starts, I wear good supportive shoes & it goes away.  I now mostly wear Mephisto Helen sandals, since I now live in the desert SW.

A good shoe store that sells athletic shoes & has a knowledgeable staff can make all the difference.  I tried custom made orthotics & they were never comfortable to me.

Honored Contributor

As a one time sufferer, I don't have faith in orthotics. I think the four miles a day might be too much. I cut back to a mile walk (or should I say limp) and slept in a special boot. Time eventually healed my foot.

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I have been dealing with this on/off for almost 2 years. It got worse because I was still trying to walk 4 miles at least 5 days per week. I started limping while walking it was so bad plus must also have tendinitis. I had to stop walking so I can let it heal. Now that it feels better I'm having trouble not limping since I limped around for so long.

I know a lot of other people have suffered with PF so just wanted to let you all know what I did that finally seemed to help. I have been using Life-Flo magnesium spray every night since I had been having a lot of muscle spasms. Since using it I no longer have them except one place where I had Shingles.

I read the magnesium would help dissolve calcium buildup so I started using the magnesium spray on my foot every night to see if that would help.

I have also been using ice packs daily around my ankle & bottom of my heel/foot. It seemed to help but I wanted more relief.

It says to ice the area so that's what I did. Finally I wondered if heat will help more.

I started using my DPL Flex Pad which is red/infrared deep penetrating light. After I used it on my foot I placed it around my ankle & used ice pack on foot.

While not using those I used a wood roller which feels good. I bought it from Amazon for around $10.

I paid around $125 for the DPL pad back when I had Shingles. I know it's expensive but I feel like along with it ice, heat, wood roller that I have finally found relief so I can walk. If my DPL quit working today I would not hesitate to buy another one.

I guess I will have to keep doing this daily if I want to keep walking.

Image result for heal pt wood roller

The only problem I have with the roller is that the black rubber bands on the ends come off every once in a while & don't know if I can get replacment bands as much as I use it.

@Nightowlz 

I had plantar fasciitis twice.  I finally went to a podiatrist and got orthodics.  They work, and the PF hasn't returned.  The orthodics cost around $250, but last a long long time.