Honored Contributor

Re: 🍏Plant Based Success Stories🎉

This guy is such a positive force in the Plant Based Movement!

He’s on FB, Instagram, YouTube..showing recipes, bulldogs (!),

garden, lots & lots of positivity. Plus the dude has MUSCLES!

Highly recommend following. AD545849-2C64-4314-8449-552C823B3F10.jpeg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette wrote:

@QueenDanceALot

Thank you for stressing the “whole” food aspect of eating.  That is probably my biggest weakness.  I do great eating as close to what Mother Nature produces as possible.  Years ago I also ended up with Leaky Gut, which was scoffed at by most doctors at that time.  I had to do my own research and in essence “cured” myself by changing my diet drastically.  However, I do think that like you suspect of yourself, I have gut damage that may never by completely healed.  I also think there may be a hereditary factor involved, as many in my family have varying degrees of gut problems.

I think much of people’s eating problems today come from getting away from eating “real” food, which, when I was growing up, was almost all we had!  I look at some of the ingredients in so-called “healthy” food, and I know I would be sick if I tried to eat it.  I buy very little packaged food, with the exception of things like dried beans and raw nuts.  

Also, I am one of those people that you mentioned has a problem even with whole grains.  And while bread doesn’t cause me distress, it does cause me to crave it and subsequently sweets, so I avoid it.  I do think so many of the additives in even various healthy foods nowadays spark reactions in people.  Even when I choose to “cheat” as a treat, if I have a few cookies with only real wheat, butter, sugar and salt, I am fine.  If I eat a “health food” bar with bunches of additives and fake food, my gut does somersaults!

🙂

Hi @geezerette ,

Yes, I am still in the "whole food" camp even though I am not eating 100% plant based and haven't been for several months.  I struggled terribly with horrible digestion while 100% plant based, lost too much weight due to malabsorption, and went to a Naturopathic Nutritionist who took me off all starchy foods, except for sweet potatoes.  After a fairly short time my digestion took a 180 and was PERFECT. 

I started adding some starchy things back, mostly some beans and some "good" bread, but they took a toll and I slid back into digestive hell.

ETA:  I have become interested in studying ancestral diets, and of course the #1 thing they had in common was the lack of processed foods and factory farming.  There was a time where we did not eat "frankenfood" and no matter what diet you see touted today, there is some degree of it.  

Honored Contributor

Not a success story, but could be the ‘why’ for a beginning of one.

Sometimes, a 1st account story is a wonderful reminder

we still have time to make change! Living Whole Food Plant Based

is a Facebook open page for those wanting to live a

plant based lifestyle. 

💛🌼4C26F1DC-D5B8-47A0-83FB-F55D127F3119.jpeg

1DFD4683-18DD-4CDC-AE77-5361350D2660.jpeg

E11B4F5B-C98C-4DBD-AD9B-8275E89F4F6B.jpeg

Respected Contributor

sidsmom, Well I'm one week in and I am feeling a lot better. My stomach doesnt't hurt like it use to. I don't feel sluggish. After reading all your post about Whole Food Plant Based eating I'm glad I gave it a try.

Honored Contributor

@JYWilliams wrote:

sidsmom, Well I'm one week in and I am feeling a lot better. My stomach doesnt't hurt like it use to. I don't feel sluggish. After reading all your post about Whole Food Plant Based eating I'm glad I gave it a try.

@JYWilliams 

That’s GREAT!

It’s amazing how quickly your body wants to ‘right the ship’.

And didn’t you say you cut out most meat before you started this?

You were more than 1/2-way there!

If you have questions or want more info on a particular area, 

let me know & I can get up some recommendations for you....

so YOU can be the next Plant Based Success Story!

Respected Contributor

sidsmom, Yes I had cut out meat before starting. My book The Starch solution arrived today and it's very informative. I already read Forks over Knives. When you eat this way you stay full and satisfied. I can't believe in just a week how much better I feel. I definitely know where to come if I have questions and need more info. Thanks again.

Honored Contributor

@JYWilliams 

I saw this quote today...and decided to post here.

Almost everyone who has lost weight & gotten healthy

on a Plant Based diet will say...it’s more than a diet.

The simple eating has parlayed to a simple lifestyle.

It really IS a state of mind

The only one I can think of, who is opposing, is Andrew Taylor

(aka ‘Spudfit’) who ate a Year of Potatoes to kick a food addiction.

His motto was:

‘make your food boring & your life exciting”! Words to note!

A0F744E8-D144-4B6C-996C-CE96E448DF7B.jpeg

Honored Contributor

The original PB success story was Esther...and she now has her story

in the current issue of Woman’s World.

I’m not a big supporter of ’lose XXlbs in XX days” type of magazines,

but her story is important especially for her age when many would

just give up & be unhappy & unhealthy until they passed...thinking

they have no alternative.

Proud Esther is proving there IS a choice to be healthy in later years!

🌼💛

6273FF40-0D75-459A-BFB5-EA0D14DFC4BC.jpeg

Respected Contributor

sidsmom, Do you have a simple reciepe for egg plant. I like it but have never prepared it' Always ate it at Olive Garden in the past. TIA

Honored Contributor

@JYWilliams wrote:

sidsmom, Do you have a simple reciepe for egg plant. I like it but have never prepared it' Always ate it at Olive Garden in the past. TIA

https://blog.fatfreevegan.com/tag/eggplant

https://healthyslowcooking.com/eggplant-tapanade-from-vegan-slow-cooking-for-two/

https://plantbasedcookingshow.com/2017/07/15/vegan-baked-eggplant/

https://youtu.be/8ccXp3TcADs

@JYWilliams 

I’m not a big fan of eggplant 😕 but here are some suggested websites.

Kathy Hester (#2) is a fan favorite cook with many in my PB Facebook pages.  Jill Dalton (#3) has many tried-&-true recipes.  Mark & Melody (#4) are making lasagnas. At the 9:00 mark, the all veggie lasagna is made w/ ton of veg including eggplant.  I just thought...how about eggplant hummus?  So many recipes & very versatile!  Let us know what you make!