Respected Contributor

Re: 🍏Plant Based Success Stories🎉

@Pook  NOthing about my diet is starches, grains and beans, I actually hardly eat any of those.  I have gluten free oats in the morning with a big scoop of vanilla vegan protein powder, the reast of the day is whole foods, fresh veggies, I also eat a meat alternative that is SO FREE called Beyond Meat, I know that getting started can make you bloat but if you give it a few weeks your system adjust. The issue with some going vegan they eat pkg foods, that is NOT what it is all about.

I workout, lift weights and at 46 I am lean and have quite a bit of muscle definition.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SandGirl wrote:

@Pook  NOthing about my diet is starches, grains and beans, I actually hardly eat any of those.  I have gluten free oats in the morning with a big scoop of vanilla vegan protein powder, the reast of the day is whole foods, fresh veggies, I also eat a meat alternative that is SO FREE called Beyond Meat, I know that getting started can make you bloat but if you give it a few weeks your system adjust. The issue with some going vegan they eat pkg foods, that is NOT what it is all about.

I workout, lift weights and at 46 I am lean and have quite a bit of muscle definition.

Oats are grains.

Beyond meat is high in fat from both canola and sunflower oils and contains isolates (soy and pea).  Not a whole food whatsover.  The package reads just like other packaged foods.

Also, it lists "roasted chicken flavor" as an ingredient.  I don't think this is vegan?

Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot

You give me a better understanding of IBS and how proper diet and exercise are not a cure-all. From outward appearances, we truly never know the struggles some people face because they "look" beautiful. In my mind you are the poster child for good health--eating a wfpb diet, working out, dancing and for emotional health the satisfaction of helping others as a personal trainer. 

And yet you have not escaped this somewhat debilitating condition. I wish you many, many more good days ahead than bad (and the coping skills to help you get through the bad). Going forward I will not be so narrow-minded as to think a person could control IBS through a proper diet and exercise.

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz@magicmoodz

Curious, I looked around in my PB groups for chronic IBS issues.

I’m seeing lots of responses for causes & how to correct:

-must follow 100% an 80/10/10 ratio of whole foods PB eating

-food sensitivities 

-night shades

-must cook fruit/vegetables 

-no high fat foods (even when total calorie % is 10%)

Many suggested mono eating for a period of time to see if that

relieves the issue.

Maybe potatoes/rice with non-starchy vegetables for a week?

If anything it would be an elimination diet to determine

green-light foods which agree with you. 

Dr. McDougall has extensive research in this area (authored

Digestive Tune-Up”) and his website has many articles & lots of

feedback from patients...which might help. On the McDougall Friends

FB Page, there are many posters saying they don’t have a single issue

once they are mindful of their trigger foods/actions. 

They must stay vigilant....but gets easier.

Here’s one excerpt from McDougall’s website about IBS:

08FD8F59-74F1-4466-88C4-FCFF9F85B0B2.jpeg

D7FDE6BE-AA62-4D1B-92D3-F6EF5A8B8761.jpeg

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot

I work with a trainer that is vegain and the beyond meat crumbles are vegan and for a 1/2 cup serving of crumbles they are 3g Fat, 80 calories and 1 g carb, 13g protein - there is no "chicken" flavor listed on my package, I will not eat the Beyond BURGERS becasue of all the fat and 'stuff".

I KNOW Oats are a grain, I workout each day for an hour or more, get in almost 20K steps a day, I need "some" carbs, I eat them early in the day.

We all follow a diet that works for us, this works for me  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl wrote:

@QueenDanceALot

I work with a trainer that is vegain and the beyond meat crumbles are vegan and for a 1/2 cup serving of crumbles they are 3g Fat, 80 calories and 1 g carb, 13g protein - there is no "chicken" flavor listed on my package, I will not eat the Beyond BURGERS becasue of all the fat and 'stuff".

I KNOW Oats are a grain, I workout each day for an hour or more, get in almost 20K steps a day, I need "some" carbs, I eat them early in the day.

We all follow a diet that works for us, this works for me  Smiley Happy

http://beyondmeat.com/products/view/beefy-crumble

According to the Beyond Burger site, these are the ingredients in the "Beefy Crumbles".  This is not whole food, which is the foundation of a whole food, plant based diet.  

You are certainly entitled to eat what you want, but I thought I should point out that this isn't whole food and is high in processed fat and isolates.  If you are interested in following a WFPB diet.

I am a trainer, I eat mainly WFPB vegan.   

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot  I would love to know what else I could sub this with.

I would like to be sure to get in a portion of protein, I normally do a BUNCH of steamed orgainic veggies with a protein source as my evening meal, super simple.

Beans and Lentils are NOT my friend, I tried for 6 weeks straight, my tummy just can't handle it. Would love to hear other suggestions so I can replace the Beyond Meat.

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom

Thank you for taking the time to list a comprehensive elimination diet. You and @QueenDanceALot are the best! I have no doubt that my friend would turn up her nose at the very thought of even trying removing her favorite foods in favor of feeling on top of her game.

And therein lies a problem with our "healthcare". Oftentimes people who have an ailment run to the doctor for their quick fix. Of course there are conditions that absolutely require doctor consultation/guidance and medications, but sometimes we aren't willing to do the hard work that could ensure optimal health.

I have a friend (currently 57) who has been on blood pressure meds since he was 50. We were at a party last weekend and I wanted to tell him to put the fork down. Granted the party was catered and the food looked delish, but how about exercising a little discipline? Recently I suggested he might have IBS after spending a weekend together and by Sunday he was married to the bathroom--like all day long. Thankfully our mutual friend has a 3 bathroom lake home! Haha! But the truth of the matter is Friday and Saturday he indulged in food like it was the Last Supper. 

Stepping down from my soapbox now but plan to bookmark all the good information you provided. Thank you!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Really glad I found this thread. We just started the plant based way of eating this week. I'm really excited about it but I am so hungery, lol ,don't know what I'm doing wrong. I haven't read all  the posts yet but hoping I can get some info on what others are eating in a day.

Honored Contributor

@Nadine wrote:

Really glad I found this thread. We just started the plant based way of eating this week. I'm really excited about it but I am so hungery, lol ,don't know what I'm doing wrong. I haven't read all  the posts yet but hoping I can get some info on what others are eating in a day.

@Nadine

Welcome to Plant Based eating!

If you’re hungry, you’re probably not consuming enough

calories in the form of starches...like potatoes, sweet potatoes, 

corn, rice! Eat up!

Here’s a wonderful thread by a fellow reader who posted her

way through her beginning stages of this way of eating.

Go to the beginning & read...very enlightening!

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Wellness/Kitty-Pirouettes-into-Plants/m-p/3933094#M109610

There’s also another thread which might help. 

If you have questions, this thread is a good place to ask.

Good luck!

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Wellness/Plant-Based-News/m-p/4170062#M117007