Valued Contributor

I am  transitioning to a plant based lifestyle. It’s about 2 months ago I made this decision. 

I had a routine doctors appointment yesterday (blood work a week ago). It is the first appointment since the transition. I was so excited because I know I have been doing good, I lost weight and feel great. The only thing I wanted to tell her is that I noticed I am having some hair loss.  

Well I almost fell on the floor when she told me my cholesterol was high and she wanted to start me on statins. I couldn’t believe it. She told me something I am eating is causing the problem. I told her about my lifestyle change. She totally did not support me (which surprised me) and told me I’m not getting enough protein (reason for hair loss) and I’m not eating right. 

I told her I wasn’t going on statins and she told me she would give me 6 months to get my cholesterol down otherwise I have no choice. 

Treadmill, weight training, yoga, plant based lifestyle, meditation...what more can I do. 

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Respected Contributor

Re: Plant Based - So Frustrated

What are you eating for protein?  

Respected Contributor

Your body makes cholesterol. There is good and bad...you have to look at all the numbers

Honored Contributor

@SandPiper  stated I told her I wasn’t going on statins and she told me she would give me 6 months to get my cholesterol down otherwise I have no choice. 

You always have a choice - you are in charge and not the doctor!  You could try plant sterols such as in several Andrew Lessman products.  2 different heart doctors told me that since my good chloresteral is perfect and I have no history of heart issues in my family that statins are in no way indicated even though my PCP at the time insisted that I needed them!!! 

Honored Contributor

I don't have an answer for you but I'm thinking of going not on a whole plant diet but more whole foods with a reduced animal diet.

However I really don't like your doctor's remark that "you'll have no choice".  You are an adult and you do have choices.  If your bad cholesterol is still high then maybe you might consider finding a new doctor who can work with you without having to go on statins.

Esteemed Contributor

I experienced the same issue.

After 6 months of my regimen my LDL & triglycerides were way up, and the HDL way down!

I was so diligent about my food choices and exercise, only to find my cholesterol being described as "horrible numbers" according to my doc.

My numbers improved tremendously without statins by simply EATING like the omnivore I am.

Honored Contributor

Humans are carinvors, we are meant to eat meat.  You have hair loss because you aren't not getting enough protein, if you are losing your hair, you are also losing muscle mass.  It's hard for vegetarians to get the proper amount of protein but certainly be done if you eat beans,  tofu, endamame, nuts, quinoa.  If you Google "plant based protein"  you'll get the list.  She believes in a balanced diet so, of course, she isn't going to support you in this and the fact that you are already experiencing bad side effects, is reason enough for her.  Your cholesteral is high because our bodies  naturally manufacture cholesterol, we don't get it ONLY from the foods we eat.  Some people have high cholesteral and diet alone doesn't lower it.  They have to take statins because that's the only way to lower it. No doctor can demand that you take any particular medication but on the other hand, what's the point in seeing a doctor that you have no faith in?  You've been trying to do this on your own and you need some help.  Ask for referral to nutritionist who can help you with healthy vegetarian diet and can factor in your cholesterol problem.   

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Humans are carinvors, we are meant to eat meat.  You have hair loss because you aren't not getting enough protein, if you are losing your hair, you are also losing muscle mass.  It's hard for vegetarians to get the proper amount of protein but certainly be done if you eat beans,  tofu, endamame, nuts, quinoa.  If you Google "plant based protein"  you'll get the list.  She believes in a balanced diet so, of course, she isn't going to support you in this and the fact that you are already experiencing bad side effects, is reason enough for her.  Your cholesteral is high because our bodies  naturally manufacture cholesterol, we don't get it ONLY from the foods we eat.  Some people have high cholesteral and diet alone doesn't lower it.  They have to take statins because that's the only way to lower it. No doctor can demand that you take any particular medication but on the other hand, what's the point in seeing a doctor that you have no faith in?  You've been trying to do this on your own and you need some help.  Ask for referral to nutritionist who can help you with healthy vegetarian diet and can factor in your cholesterol problem.   

Humans are omnivores, and our teeth are the proof.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree

Lots of errors, but the one which stood out is the comparison

to ‘vegetarian’ diet. A plant based diet is not a vegetarian diet.

A plant based diet is no animal products or animal byproducts. 

Honored Contributor

@SandPiper wrote:

I am  transitioning to a plant based lifestyle. It’s about 2 months ago I made this decision. 

I had a routine doctors appointment yesterday (blood work a week ago). It is the first appointment since the transition. I was so excited because I know I have been doing good, I lost weight and feel great. The only thing I wanted to tell her is that I noticed I am having some hair loss.  

Well I almost fell on the floor when she told me my cholesterol was high and she wanted to start me on statins. I couldn’t believe it. She told me something I am eating is causing the problem. I told her about my lifestyle change. She totally did not support me (which surprised me) and told me I’m not getting enough protein (reason for hair loss) and I’m not eating right. 

I told her I wasn’t going on statins and she told me she would give me 6 months to get my cholesterol down otherwise I have no choice. 

Treadmill, weight training, yoga, plant based lifestyle, meditation...what more can I do. 

I had the same issues with plant based eating plans. I tried so hard and really wanted it to be the "answer." My blood sugars became erratic and I was constantly running high. Add to that my triglycerides became dangerously high. My cholesterol went up to 300 and my triglycerides were around 400. When I went back to eating a low carbohydrate diet, 3 months later I had triglycerides of 120 and my total cholesterol was 140. I take a statin and continued taking them when I tried to do the plant based diet...nothing changed in that aspect. I must take a statin because I have a condition that was tested that I have genetic high cholesterol.

I really do not like subscribing to the belief of a one size fits all diet. I would never be so bold as to tell someone else how to eat. All I know is that my labs proved that diet was not for me. The no oils, potatoes and vegetables diet with brown rice made me gain weight too. Now I am back to my 5'8 , 120 pound self. I also had a proven B12 deficiency and was told I was in need of protein.

When I relayed my experience here I was told that I must not have done the diet correctly. It was me...not the diet.