Super Contributor

Re: Plant Based - So Frustrated

No that has recently been proven wrong. Beans, legumes etc are complete sources of protein.  No combining required.

Valued Contributor

I cannot express strongly enough how much I appreciate everyone’s support. I really need it because this lifestyle does not come naturally to me YET. I’m still learning and gosh there is so much to learn. I will watch all videos suggested. Thanks for posting those. Last night I watched Dr McDougall’s video on anxiety and now that the shock has passed, I am going to continue this path and continue learning and researching. 

As @Trinity11 suggested I am going to discuss further with my doctor. I’m not ready to kick her to the curb right now @tsavorite Woman Happy and I will look for a nutritionist who can help.

So that’s my plan. Let’s see what happens with blood work in 6 months.

@tsavorite Thanks for prayers. Your numbers are awesome!!!!!

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SandPiper wrote:

I am  transitioning to a plant based lifestyle. It’s about 2 months ago I made this decision. 

I had a routine doctors appointment yesterday (blood work a week ago). It is the first appointment since the transition. I was so excited because I know I have been doing good, I lost weight and feel great. The only thing I wanted to tell her is that I noticed I am having some hair loss.  

Well I almost fell on the floor when she told me my cholesterol was high and she wanted to start me on statins. I couldn’t believe it. She told me something I am eating is causing the problem. I told her about my lifestyle change. She totally did not support me (which surprised me) and told me I’m not getting enough protein (reason for hair loss) and I’m not eating right. 

I told her I wasn’t going on statins and she told me she would give me 6 months to get my cholesterol down otherwise I have no choice. 

Treadmill, weight training, yoga, plant based lifestyle, meditation...what more can I do. 

I suggest that you keep a two to three week food diary. Once completed, you can evaluate the diet to see where more protein, and which proteins, can be added. You’ll also be able to see where you have had foods that have been shown to reduce cholesterol. Since you’re new to the plant based diet, keep learning about this, especially about plant proteins in combinations. These combinations are necessary to get complete proteins. Animal proteins are complete proteins. This type of protein gives you all the protein you need for growth and repair. Only some plant proteins are complete proteins. Examples are soy protein foods such as tofu, edamame, soy milk, quinoa, chick peas and other legumes.  Other plant proteins must be combined in your DAILY protein diet in order to get enough for cell growth and repair. If you run across some older information, it might say that you must combine incomplete proteins in each meal to get enough complete protein. This is now considered untrue. You just need to get combinations per day to fulfill this need. Save information you find for reference. There is an app called My Fitness Pal, that might help you track your foods. The basic app is free. I’ve never tried the specialty diets part of the app, but I believe there is one that can help you with a plant based diet.  I’m not sure about costs for the add-on specialty diets part of the app. I have to say that your doctor does not sound like he or she is very tolerant of patients’ variabilities in their diets. The doctor sounds very rigid. 

plant proteins

https://i.redditmedia.com/EwDRn2d9YxAWss-sD2jKfee7ScVkAHsgz7sIPJYpi4A.jpg?w=640&s=9b0f67d8c2db4b03b7...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D

Good research..like your spirit!  But the phrase,

“...These combinations are necessary to get complete proteins...”

is an incorrect statement.

One of the biggest Food Myths ever is that Plant Based eaters 

need to carefully combine & balance certain foods for a

special synergy to happen.

I could post mountains of research/studies/etc to back this up,

but here’s a quick 4:00 video which explains....and the transcript

if the video is too long.

It’s a common myth, so I understand the passing of incorrect info

but the perceived difficulty might be enough to ward off people

wanting to better their health with a plant based diet. 

🌼💛

877FDA5A-1949-4069-A7EA-D9C4D9E80CCA.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@lexiee wrote:

Hi!  I am plant-based too and have "high" cholesterol.  My doctor is not at all concerned.  Plant based foods cannot raise your bad cholesterol, they do not contain any cholesterol.  How my doctor explaind it to me is that your total cholesterol number is a combinaation of the good & bad choleserol.  Due to my plant-based eating, my good cholesterol is off the charts high (which is great!! ) but that high number is part of the total overall number too. So because my good cholesterol is so high it also brings up the total over all number.  My doctor said, I will all my patients had such good numbers.  I hope this makes sense.  I just know that plant-based foods cannot raise your bad cholesterol, only lower it a bit or raise your good cholesterol.  I have healed so many health issues with a plant-based diet & have been eating this way for years, I am here is you have any questions.  In regards to protie, pound for pound, broccoli & spinach have more protein than meat. Also, every fruit & vegetable has proetien in them.  I eat mostly raw and get plenty of proetin and my bloodwork is always awesome!  I'm here to help you however I can!  XOXOXOXOXO

I totally get this because I have the same issue.  My overall cholestrol is high but my good cholestrol is what is up, causing the overall number to be high.  My bad cholestrol is fine. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Mindy D

🌼💛

I think that you think that that I mean that you must make a conscious effort to combine just the right foods, contains the exact amino acid combinations necessary to ensure adequate protein intake. I just mean that if a person consumes mixtures of various plant foods they would probably get eventually intake the full complement of essential proteins from that diet. I’m not advocating anyone make an effort at food combining.  Nevertheless, I’m not wrong. If a person were to consume only rice, for example, she would be lacking in the essential amino acids that are not present in rice. Furthermore, If a person were to consume only red beans, she would be lacking in the essential amino acids not present in red beans. Vegans must consume a variety of plant foods or consume soy based protein (or quinoa).
A complete protein (or whole protein) is a source of protein that contains an adequate proportion of all nine of the essential amino acids necessary for the dietary needs of an organism. Not all species require the same amino acids, therefore what may be a complete protein for a human may not be complete for a different animal.

Examples of complete proteins are meat, poultry, fish, eggs, milk, cheese, yogurt, and soybeans. Since the amino acid profile of protein in plant food may be deficient in one or more of the following types, most plant proteins are said to be incomplete.However, mixtures of plant protein sources can provide the complete, balanced amount of amino acids needed for normal physioloical functions and growth.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Mindy D

🌼💛

I think that you think that that I mean that you must make a conscious effort to combine just the right foods, contains the exact amino acid combinations necessary to ensure adequate protein intake. I just mean that if a person consumes mixtures of various plant foods they would probably get eventually intake the full complement of essential proteins from that diet. I’m not advocating anyone make an effort at food combining.  Nevertheless, I’m not wrong. If a person were to consume only rice, for example, she would be lacking in the essential amino acids that are not present in rice. Furthermore, If a person were to consume only red beans, she would be lacking in the essential amino acids not present in red beans. Vegans must consume a variety of plant foods or consume soy based protein (or quinoa).
A complete protein (or whole protein) is a source of protein that contains an adequate proportion of all nine of the essential amino acids necessary for the dietary needs of an organism. Not all species require the same amino acids, therefore what may be a complete protein for a human may not be complete and meet the needs of a for a different animal.

Examples of complete proteins are meat, poultry, fish, eggs, milk, cheese, yogurt, and soybeans. Since the amino acid profile of protein in plant food may be deficient in one or more of the following types, most plant proteins are said to be incomplete. However, mixtures of plant protein sources can provide the complete, balanced amount of amino acids needed for normal physioloical functions and growth. Persons eating a vegan diet are still required to get adequate intake of these mixtures of plant proteins; so this concept is valid. What is no longer valid, and I agree with you on this point, is the old belief that one must consume complementary plant proteins with every meal. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Mindy D

🌼💛

I think, that you think, that that I mean that you must make a conscious effort to combine just the right foods, containing the exact amino acid combinations necessary to ensure adequate protein intake. I just mean that if a person consumes mixtures of various plant foods they would eventually intake the full complement of essential proteins from that diet. I’m not advocating anyone make an effort at food combining.  Nevertheless, I’m not wrong. If a person were to consume only rice, for example, she would be lacking in the essential amino acids that are not present in rice. Furthermore, If a person were to consume only red beans, she would be lacking in the essential amino acids not present in red beans. Vegans must consume a variety of plant foods or consume soy based protein (or quinoa).
“A complete protein (or whole protein) is a source of protein that contains an adequate proportion of all nine of the essential amino acids necessary for the dietary needs of an organism. Not all species require the same amino acids, therefore what may be a complete protein for a human may not be complete and meet the needs of a for a different animal.” Source is Wikipedia.

“Examples of complete proteins are meat, poultry, fish, eggs, milk, cheese, yogurt, and soybeans. Since the amino acid profile of protein in plant food may be deficient in one or more of the following types, most plant proteins are said to be incomplete. However, mixtures of plant protein sources can provide the complete, balanced amount of amino acids needed for normal physioloical functions and growth.” Source is Wikipedia. Persons eating a vegan diet are still required to get adequate intake of these mixtures of plant proteins; so this concept is valid. What is no longer valid, and I agree with you on this point, is the old belief that one must consume complementary plant proteins with every meal.