Honored Contributor

Re: Plant Based - So Frustrated

[ Edited ]

@ Montana wrote:

From my understanding, plant foods have to be combined together a certain way to get the complete protein the body needs. That takes knowledge, not just eating an all-plant diet.

PSA:

The act of ‘combining’ anything is not needed. 

The term ‘complete’ protein is a myth.

Even though rice & beans is a tasty meal (😀), 

we don’t need to eat them together for a special synergy to happen.

We only need 10% of our total calories to consist of protein.

There’s no magical, mystical powers in this nutrient. 

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Don’t you eat oatmeal, a grain, @sidsmom, or is that just kitty lou?

Yep I do!  Oatmeal is good!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SandPiper  I just want to say how sorry I am to hear these numbers.  You have been so diligent and successful in dropping some weight.  It is time for reflection, and I hope that it is possible to work with a plant based nutritionist.  These numbers give you a baseline to work from, so it is a positive that you have these test results.  (Just as an aside, It is rare that I'm not a vegan whole plant based person - once in a blue moon I might have some oil or processed food usually from eating out or a rare occasion - for many years and don't have your test results). 

There are many misconceptions posted on this board, especially regarding protein.  I just want you to know that I support you in your choices and hope that you continue your path.  I know your dietary choices from the past months.  You have felt healthy and lost some weight....good progress.  You have established your stats.  Are you keeping a food journal....maybe you would want to start posting on cronometer.  Are you able to select a doctor/nutritionist that would support your lifestyle within your health plan?  Give yourself some time to reflect and keep up the research.  I'm rooting for you girl!

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@SandPiper  I just want to say how sorry I am to hear these numbers.  You have been so diligent and successful in dropping some weight.  It is time for reflection, and I hope that it is possible to work with a plant based nutritionist.  These numbers give you a baseline to work from, so it is a positive that you have these test results.  (Just as an aside, It is rare that I'm not a vegan whole plant based person - once in a blue moon I might have some oil or processed food usually from eating out or a rare occasion - for many years and don't have your test results). 

There are many misconceptions posted on this board, especially regarding protein.  I just want you to know that I support you in your choices and hope that you continue your path.  I know your dietary choices from the past months.  You have felt healthy and lost some weight....good progress.  You have established your stats.  Are you keeping a food journal....maybe you would want to start posting on chronometer.  Are you able to select a doctor/nutritionist that would support your lifestyle within your health plan?  Give yourself some time to reflect and keep up the research.  I'm rooting for you girl!

With respect @phoenixbrd, just how would a doctor "support" someone's diet that is giving them high cholesterol and where their triglycerides went exponentially up?

Honored Contributor

Maybe by not testing for the cholesterol, @Trinity11, along the lines of a diabetic not testing their blood sugar??

Honored Contributor

@SandPiper

I am so sorry to read of your frustration and understand your desire to have a plant based diet work for you!

You might look into this approach

http://www.lipidgeneticsclinic.ca/pdf/2015%2009%2022%20The%20Portfolio%20Diet.pdf

Dr. Michael Greger recommends that those who follow a vegan diet but still see a high cholesterol level to try this approach.  There is much written about it online and was developed by a well regarded doctor in Toronto.

Honored Contributor

@SandPiper

Here’s an excellent video which Dr. Michael Klaper explains

the cholesterol process...especially for those eating plant based.

HTH!

🌼💛

https://youtu.be/YZrmdmpBcJE

Contributor

Hi!  I am plant-based too and have "high" cholesterol.  My doctor is not at all concerned.  Plant based foods cannot raise your bad cholesterol, they do not contain any cholesterol.  How my doctor explaind it to me is that your total cholesterol number is a combinaation of the good & bad choleserol.  Due to my plant-based eating, my good cholesterol is off the charts high (which is great!! ) but that high number is part of the total overall number too. So because my good cholesterol is so high it also brings up the total over all number.  My doctor said, I will all my patients had such good numbers.  I hope this makes sense.  I just know that plant-based foods cannot raise your bad cholesterol, only lower it a bit or raise your good cholesterol.  I have healed so many health issues with a plant-based diet & have been eating this way for years, I am here is you have any questions.  In regards to protie, pound for pound, broccoli & spinach have more protein than meat. Also, every fruit & vegetable has proetien in them.  I eat mostly raw and get plenty of proetin and my bloodwork is always awesome!  I'm here to help you however I can!  XOXOXOXOXO

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also get a lot of protein from mixed nuts (a lot more than "2-3 on a salad a couple of times per week"), mushrooms (which I stuff or grill or marinate to eat as a side salad) and eggplant are some examples. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@lexiee wrote:

Hi!  I am plant-based too and have "high" cholesterol.  My doctor is not at all concerned.  Plant based foods cannot raise your bad cholesterol, they do not contain any cholesterol.  How my doctor explaind it to me is that your total cholesterol number is a combinaation of the good & bad choleserol.  Due to my plant-based eating, my good cholesterol is off the charts high (which is great!! ) but that high number is part of the total overall number too. So because my good cholesterol is so high it also brings up the total over all number.  My doctor said, I will all my patients had such good numbers.  I hope this makes sense.  I just know that plant-based foods cannot raise your bad cholesterol, only lower it a bit or raise your good cholesterol.  I have healed so many health issues with a plant-based diet & have been eating this way for years, I am here is you have any questions.  In regards to protie, pound for pound, broccoli & spinach have more protein than meat. Also, every fruit & vegetable has proetien in them.  I eat mostly raw and get plenty of proetin and my bloodwork is always awesome!  I'm here to help you however I can!  XOXOXOXOXO

Hello I wanted to share my #'s on the cholesterol.....recently had my labs done about 6wks ago it was.  My HDL is 84 and my LDL is 40.....triglycerides 57.....total cholesterol 136.  Even though my HDL is higher my total isn't at all....I am not sure that having high LDL with High HDL would be a good idea.  Perhaps your doctor feels they cancel each other out??  

I do not eat a special way...just a variety but with that said I strongly suspect my genetics are playing a huge role in my labs.  

@SandPiper  I am sorry to hear about your experience and your disappoint with the doctors response.  I can totally understand your feelings....I wish I could do half as well as you on all the working out!  WOW amazing strength and commitment!!  I don't have any suggestions other than "maybe" don't toss your doctor to the curb just yet....try the suggestions from the ladies here that do the WFPB diet with success and perhaps there's something that could be fine tuned to get the results.  I will be praying for you that GOD brings wisdom (from any source) to help you in your journey for fitness and health.  Big hugs to you.