Honored Contributor

Re: Plant Based News ๐Ÿ“๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿ ๐ŸŽ

@sidsmom

OMG, I don't even know what to say.  I just watched the video of Milan singing "Santa Claus is coming to Town"  with his son on Christmas Eve.  There is no indication there at all that something is wrong.

It's just so tragic.

Honored Contributor

I'm reading several vegan plant based articles which promote olive oil for inclusion for good health.

Healthy cooking oil for vegan diets:

http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=9864&catId=2

A moderate amount of olive oil is healthy:

http://7dayvegan.com/faq/

This is why I've been interested in using a moderate amount of oil for a long time: When I was first in college, I cut out all oils since they were considered high in calories.  After a time, I got a rash and I lost some of my hair at the scalp line.  I mentioned not eating any oil to my MD and she told me to add it to my diet immediately.  It took awhile but the rash went away and my hair came back.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I come across so many boring vegetarian and vegan recipes.  There are a lot of foods from around the world that are vegetarian and a lot better tasting.

IMO, instead of just a lentil stew, think about Dal.  It's an Indian soup/stew.

There are many different Dal recipes, here's one to look over:

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/lentil-dal-456

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

I'm reading several vegan plant based articles which promote olive oil for inclusion for good health.

This is why I've been interested in using a moderate amount of oil for a long time: When I was first in college, I cut out all oils since they were considered high in calories.  After a time, I got a rash and I lost some of my hair at the scalp line.  I mentioned not eating any oil to my MD and she told me to add it to my diet immediately.  It took awhile but the rash went away and my hair came back.

@Noel7

Oils are not & never have been healthy. They are a highly processed item w/ 100% of calories coming from fat. 

If you want olive oil, eat olives.

If you want corn oil, eats corn.

If you want coconut oil, eat coconut.

Once the oil is stripped of fiber, vitamins, minerals, itโ€™s free game. The body doesnโ€™t know how to process.   Damage to the endothelium system, inflammation...even straight to the cells without any work.  

If eating enough calories, whole plant based foods provides plenty of fat without pouring it on.  And who uses only 1 Tablespoon (the suggested serving size)?  It doesnโ€™t provide any flavor, only fat calories, and a high probability of internal damage. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I get Essential Fatty Acids from nuts and seeds,and avocado, not processed oils.  Processing removes the crucial fiber plus other nutrients and just leaves you with fat, and much of that fat is Omega 6, playing havoc with the balance of Omega 3 and Omega 6.  

My hair and skin are doing very well.  Better than when I used to eat olive oil every day!

And the longer I eat this way the better cook I am becoming.  I use lots of variety in spices and flavors (so many good whole food plant based vegan bloggers and you tubers these days.  The food isn't boring if you seek it out.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Noel7

Oils are not & never have been healthy. They are a highly processed item w/ 100% of calories coming from fat. 

If you want olive oil, eat olives.

If you want corn oil, eats corn.

If you want coconut oil, eat coconut.

Once the oil is stripped of fiber, vitamins, minerals, itโ€™s free game. The body doesnโ€™t know how to process.   Damage to the endothelium system, inflammation...even straight to the cells without any work.  

If eating enough calories, whole plant based foods provides plenty of fat without pouring it on.  And who uses only 1 Tablespoon (the suggested serving size)?  It doesnโ€™t provide any flavor, only fat calories, and a high probability of internal damage. 

Sorry, but that's your opinion @sidsmom

There are many experts who think that's not true and never was.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I get Essential Fatty Acids from nuts and seeds,and avocado, not processed oils.  Processing removes the crucial fiber plus other nutrients and just leaves you with fat, and much of that fat is Omega 6, playing havoc with the balance of Omega 3 and Omega 6.  

My hair and skin are doing very well.  Better than when I used to eat olive oil every day!

And the longer I eat this way the better cook I am becoming.  I use lots of variety in spices and flavors (so many good whole food plant based vegan bloggers and you tubers these days.  The food isn't boring if you seek it out.

I said it affected MY skin and hair, not your's, not anyone else's @QueenDanceALot

And you certainly do not have the majority opinion on olive oil.  I don't care if you use olive oil or not, I do care about the truth instead of quackery in medicine and food.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I said it affected MY skin and hair, not your's, not anyone else's @QueenDanceALot

And you certainly do not have the majority opinion on olive oil.  I don't care if you use olive oil or not, I do care about the truth instead of quackery in medicine and food.

I am not going to argue with you, @Noel7

But you aren't going to tell me that I am promoting "quackery" and lying.  No one needs added processed oils.  They do need EFA's, but they do not need processed oils.  

No matter what you tell me about the "majority opinion".

Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I am not going to argue with you, @Noel7

But you aren't going to tell me that I am promoting "quackery" and lying.  No one needs added processed oils.  They do need EFA's, but they do not need processed oils.  

No matter what you tell me about the "majority opinion".

Cat Happy

I have no interest in discussing it with you @QueenDanceALot

I didn't address you or say anything to you until you referred to what I said.  I assume it was me since you directly referred to a comment of mine. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It isn't about what *I* said, it's about what other vegetarians and vegans quoted earlier have said, which is being totally ignored by the No On Olive Oil proponents.

I hope others reading will check into the issue, because it's obvious not all vegans agree with the No On Evvo supporters.