Honored Contributor

Re: Plant Based News 🍓🍇🍠🍎

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

Thank you for sharing. Bringing my own food. 

Saves me concern or need asking preparation of veggies.

Plus never want to make anyone uncomfortable, Family members said no problem with my bringing food.  

Happy Thanksgiving-🍁🍂

Hi @Sweet_Serenity

Yes, I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable either.  I will be bringing some Vegan friendly food, but am also aware that there may be people there who like to challenge what you put on your plate (I do not have any family and am spending the afternoon with friends, and there will be others I don't know) and I appreciated The Vegan View ladies' perspective on this.  I was beginning to think I may just stay home!

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal 

I saw where you were transitioning to a PB diet. YEAH!

You mentioned 2 salads a day should be fine.  Unfortunately, that will not be enough calories for you to feel satiated.  Have the 2 salads, but with those salads, have clean starches...like a potato/2, a cup/2 of rice, a cup of lentils or beans...added starch which will satiate you.  In the beginning, it’s common not to eat enough....especially since,

fat=9 calories/gram

vs

carbohydrate/protein=4 calories/gram.

You can literally eat more than twice the carb/pro if not adding fat for the same amount of calories....but no matter what the total calories for the day, starch needs to be largely added for success.  

Good luck & keep us posted! HTH...🌼💛

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@qualitygal 

I saw where you were transitioning to a PB diet. YEAH!

You mentioned 2 salads a day should be fine.  Unfortunately, that will not be enough calories for you to feel satiated.  Have the 2 salads, but with those salads, have clean starches...like a potato/2, a cup/2 of rice, a cup of lentils or beans...added starch which will satiate you.  In the beginning, it’s common not to eat enough....especially since,

fat=9 calories/gram

vs

carbohydrate/protein=4 calories/gram.

You can literally eat more than twice the carb/pro if not adding fat for the same amount of calories....but no matter what the total calories for the day, starch needs to be largely added for success.  

Good luck & keep us posted! HTH...🌼💛

@sidsmom@qualitygal

I am here to testify on that!  You will starve if you try to live off of salads - I am a salad lover but realized early on (I'm still a newbie on whole foods, plant based eating - little over 4 months now), but I had to get over the fear of starch.  The terror of carbs.  Crazy!  I thought OH NO, I'll get FAT!  But I read and read and listened to sidsmom and added the WHOLE FOOD starches like potatoes, beans, legumes, and NOT the refined ones!  So important!!!  I started eating a LOT of the whole food starches (along with salads and vegetables and fruits and found I had to eat a lot just to not lose weight.  I lost 8 pounds really quickly and stopped losing (losing weight wasn't a goal, but I'm fine with those 8 pounds gone) when I really upped the whole food starches and ate more.  The only time I've felt unsatisfied is when I've slipped and eaten REFINED foods! 

Anywho, Quality Girl, welcome to the Whole Foods, Plant Based life!   

Along with the films 'Forks Over Knives' and 'What the Health', I'd like to recommend the documentary 'The Marshall Plan' about Marshall, Texas and the town's experience with going Whole Food, Plant Based.

Cat Happy 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

And y’all....this is the PERFECT time to transition

to a Plant-Based diet...starches are so cheap!!

Grocery stores have tons of sales on

Russet Potatoes & Sweet Potatoes, Rice, Squashes, etc.

The produce dept is your friend...especially to your wallet!

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

And y’all....this is the PERFECT time to transition

to a Plant-Based diet...starches are so cheap!!

Grocery stores have tons of sales on

Russet Potatoes & Sweet Potatoes, Rice, Squashes, etc.

The produce dept is your friend...especially to your wallet!

@sidsmom

My kitchen cabinet is so organized now, I love seeing all of my mason jars lined up, filled with black beans, garbanzos, rice, qunoa, lentils, flaxseed, oatmeal.  They look so pretty!

And the smaller jars filled with spices.  

It's almost like someone would think that KittyLouWho knows how to cook!

hahahahaha!

Honored Contributor

Heads up to all 

On the Plant BAsed News channel on youtube, new video documentary must see,

VEGAN 2017

Well done.  Hopeful for the future.  Except for the plethora of "Vegan" convenience foods that will be hitting the market (alfeady are - "The Beyond Burger" just one).  These are not WFPB foods.

Hopefully those who go Vegan will gravitate towards the WFPB foods, and minimize the processed ones.

See the documentary!

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot

Oh. My. Gosh.

I’m not even into 10min...and I’m v.e.r.y impressed. 

There’s definitely a paradigm shift happening.

Just the recent acceptance of plant-based milks..is stunning.

...now back to the movie!

Thanks for recommending! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom

You're welcome!!!

I'm more than pleased  to be able to recommend it.

Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

More Plant-Based News:

I feel the Launch Button has been activated!

Giggle.

I realize Gain is not using ‘plant based’ in the nutritional sense

(it focuses on the natural botanicals), but I wonder if they are using

the PB popularity for advertising...hummmm?!

It’s all good!

We have room for everyone on the Plant Based wagon!

🌼💛😀🍏

844FBDF1-3F90-46A3-A26B-FEFBE0405D06.jpeg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh my.

Milan Ross, who was a huge influence & success story within the Plant Based world, was arrested yesterday for alleged killing his ex-wife & 2 kids out in Arizona. Apparently there was a police stand-off & everything.

He had a challenging past, along with depression & June divorce, but this is so sad on so many different levels.  I saw the video where he & his son was on The Doctors recently...such a sweet little boy.  

So sad. 

1EF3E0BE-17BC-4F2E-9C1A-ED8C17D6E3BD.jpeg