Honored Contributor

Re: Plant Based News ๐Ÿ“๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿ ๐ŸŽ

@AuntG wrote:

To anyone who eats this way: What is your favorite soup recipe? 

Hi, @AuntG,

There are several soups that have been posted by lolakimono on the thread KittyLouWhoPirouttes into Plants that are really good, and all I would do to change them is leave out the oil to make them Whole Foods, Plant Based.

One soup I have been making a lot starts with Alton Brown's Lentil Soupo Recipe, and again I leave out the oil.  But I also add several things to it to make it very hearty and satisfying and full of nutrition.

Alton Brown's Lentil Soup KittyLouWho Style

Saute in a little water

1/2 cup celery, chopped

1/2 cup carrot, chopped

1/2 cup onion, chopped

(I have used more or each, depending on what I feel like)

When the onion is sweating and kind of translucent, add

2 cups brown lentils (picked through and rinsed)

2 quarts low sodium vegetable stock or broth

1 15oz. can chopped or diced tomatoes (prefereably BPA free) - fire roasted are really nice

1 tsp coriander, freshly ground

1 tsp grains of paradise, freshly ground

1 tsp cumin, ground

(I am using twice the amount of spice than Alton's recipe calls for, because I like it!)

ground black pepper to taste

kosher salt, to taste (or not at all, if you want to keep sodium lower - i will use 1 tsp for the entire pot)

Then I will add:

Cubed potatoes - I like purple, fingerling, whatever I have - a cup or two

Frozen Fordhook Lima Beans - a bag

Frozen Organic Sweet Corn - Trader Joe's (one bag)

Frozen Organic Sweet Peas - Trader Joe's (one bag)

Bring all to a boil, cover, and simmer at least 40 minutes - I tend to let it simmer a lot longer to let the flavors come together.  I find it better the day after, and the day after that!

I have also added brown rice and black beans to this recipe a day of two later as well, when I have leftovers (and have added the above corn, peas and lima beans at that time, too, instead of the first day)  This becomes more of a stew, which I love.

When I serve this, I top it with a big sprinkle of nutritional yeast (also from Trader Joe's).  I like a side salad with it or a plate of steamed broccoli and red cabbage.

Honored Contributor

Grains of Paradise....I had to look that one up.

Sounds kinda/sorta like black pepper but โ€˜hotterโ€™. 

Was this a special order or does Kroger have it?

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Grains of Paradise....I had to look that one up.

Sounds kinda/sorta like black pepper but โ€˜hotterโ€™. 

Was this a special order or does Kroger have it?

@sidsmom

Yes, it is kinda sorta like black pepper, but hotter.

I didn't see it at Kroger, and I didn't find it at Whole Foods, but I did find it in the bulk spice section at my local food co-op.

I was ready to order it off Amazon if I didn't see it at the co-op.

Esteemed Contributor

IMG_4405.JPG

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is unkind towards other posters

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@magicmoodz wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@magicmoodz@sidsmom

Whoa, doggies, my guacamole came out so awesome I have to get it to the party before I eat it all myself!

Just wanted to say it's maybe my best batch EVER!

@QueenDanceALot

Oh that sounds so good! I love guacamole! I bought a jicama today which might prove to be a good dipping stick!

Last night at dinner a friend who is a veggie confirmed that nutritional yeast is a good replacement for cheese, so I planned to pick some up today.  All I could find at the grocery store was a bag which cost $9.79 and I thought it would be more responsible to buy a smaller bag--in case I don't like it.  On the way home I turned into the Trader Joe's parking lot, but everybody and their brother happened to be there. I drove around twice and couldn't find an open spot, so experimenting with nutritional yeast is still on my bucket list! Hopefully the parking lot won't be so crowded tomorrow afternoon.  

I found nutritional yeast at Sprouts.

p.s.  I need to read this very informative forum more often!

Love all the information!

Jean

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@shopper since 1989 wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@magicmoodz@sidsmom

Whoa, doggies, my guacamole came out so awesome I have to get it to the party before I eat it all myself!

Just wanted to say it's maybe my best batch EVER!

@QueenDanceALot

Oh that sounds so good! I love guacamole! I bought a jicama today which might prove to be a good dipping stick!

Last night at dinner a friend who is a veggie confirmed that nutritional yeast is a good replacement for cheese, so I planned to pick some up today.  All I could find at the grocery store was a bag which cost $9.79 and I thought it would be more responsible to buy a smaller bag--in case I don't like it.  On the way home I turned into the Trader Joe's parking lot, but everybody and their brother happened to be there. I drove around twice and couldn't find an open spot, so experimenting with nutritional yeast is still on my bucket list! Hopefully the parking lot won't be so crowded tomorrow afternoon.  

I found nutritional yeast at Sprouts.

p.s.  I need to read this very informative forum more often!

Love all the information!

Jean

Hi @shoppersince1989!

Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

โ€œProteinaholicโ€ by Dr. Garth Davis is on sale today for $1.99/Kindle.

Wonderful read.

Explains Americaโ€™s obsession w/ protein & the determinal effects. 

Honored Contributor

Just an FYI for all of you Plant Based eaters.

I found a new youtube channel, "The Vegan View" - 4 ladies who talk about Vegan/Plant Based topcs. I just watched a couple of them, one of which was very timely as they talk about being Vegan and celebrating Thanksgiving.  I will be going to a non Plant Based/Vegan dinner tomorrow and listening to these ladies' views and experiences are helpful to me.

Just thought I'd share!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for sharing. Bringing my own food. 

Saves me concern or need asking preparation of veggies.

Plus never want to make anyone uncomfortable, Family members said no problem with my bringing food.  

Happy Thanksgiving-๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‚