Super Contributor

Re: Plant Based News 🍓🍇🍠🍎

@I am still oxox wrote:

@QueenDanceALot

Your post is totally unnecessary, I am glad it works for you, it will not work for me thank you end of discussion sorry

I just started reading this thread.  What a mean post.  How is it unnecessary (don't think I'll hear back from you, which is ok)?

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Dog wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

@QueenDanceALot

Your post is totally unnecessary, I am glad it works for you, it will not work for me thank you end of discussion sorry

I just started reading this thread.  What a mean post.  How is it unnecessary (don't think I'll hear back from you, which is ok)?

@Lucky Dog wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

@QueenDanceALot

@Lucky Dog

I didn't take it personally, @Lucky Dog.  For whatever reason, oxox got her knickers in a twist over the kinds of foods primary to this way of eating.  And.that.was.that.

Of course, she did come back to read my post, but that's o.k., too.  If she doesn't want to try this way of eating and see for herself, well, she won't, and she'll just find something else that works.  Or doesn't.

If people just dismiss something without really looking into it, there's not much to be done by those of us who like to share information and experience.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@magicmoodz

‘...only 25% of the calories and carbs “

Curious...what do you mean by ‘carbs?’

Pasta & squash both have carbohydrates.

When I say ‘classic mistake’, many adopting this lifestyle are consuming say, 1500 calories. Those calories tend to be more calorie dense, so their portions are small....and they mimic those same portion sizes on low calorie dense foods, are hungry all the time, then begin adding fats to create satiety.  At the end of the day, they’re just not eating enough.

I say try baking up some spaghetti squash & experiment.

It might work for you!  I seen where cutting the squash 

in rounds instead of the usual half makes it easier to bake.

@sidsmom

Sorry to be confusing.  I just looked at charts for the nutritional value for rice pasta and spaghetti squash. 

1 cup of Rice Pasta has 192 calories and 44 carbohydrates

1 cup of Spaghetti Squash has 31 calories and 7 carbohydrates

It seems we could eat lots more spaghetti squash to fill us up without suffering the danger of calorie dense meals. But I buy a big beautiful organic spaghetti squash at Trader Joe's and get 3 dinners from it--that is 6 meals.  

And yes, after many years of cutting the squash lengthwise, I finally learned to cut it in rings!  

I see where you’re coming from.

If you’re eating a low fat, whole foods, plant based diet for a short time,

you don’t need to worry about how carbohydrates are in foods (exclude T1D). 

And counting calories?  Nope, no worry about counting calories.

Yes, we initially say eat anything at/below 500-500 calories/pound,

but once you have the visual, there’s no reason to count anything

after that.

And as for one squash for 6 meals? =Smiley Surprised  I would probably eat

the whole spaghetti squash...as one meal for me!  

I need to Carb Up!

@sidsmom

Even though I eat WFPB and I am no longer scared of the "starch" word (so long as that starch is from an  unprocessed whole food, I am still kind of confused about the pasta vs. spaghetti squash thing as far as satiety. 

Personally, I don't think I'd want to eat 7 or 8 cups of spaghetti squash at a sitting, or however much it would take to fill me as well as a, say, plate of potatoes and peas, but if you do want to eat that much spaghetti squash, why would that still constitute a mistake?   Is it the starch content not being high enough?  aka density?  That would be my take, but as I said, I'm not totally clear on this.

Is it similar tp eating a huge green salad, but the volume just not being enough calories to satiate?

Seems to me that spaghetti squash is a high water content veg, and not a starchy one.

Am I making any sense here?

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot

Yes, you make a lot of sense...more sense than I am!

You bring up a good thought...ranking the starches.

Even winter squash is considered a starch, it doesn’t have the amount of carbohydrates like the powerhouse, potato. You are correct about the starch content not being as high in squash vs potato. Cronometer shows a 4lb uncooked squash will yield approx 5 cups of cooked product. 5 cups will make almost make you uncomfortable...and still won’t sustain you in the long run, like a good ‘ole potato.

Another thing I might add, I think when someone coming from a SAD/limited portion way of eating begins to start substituting lower-calorie starchy vegetables right out of the gate, it sets them up for failure. Ease into it..stick with things that are familiar. Potatoes, rice, corn. Master those with no added oils...then venture out to the lower calorie density winter squashes for variety and/or quicker weight loss.  

I’m just afraid if spiralized squashes are used in place of traditional pasta, the user will not feel satisfied & then begin to add add’l oil/fats to reach that fullness factor.  And that would quickly negate any good originally planned.

I hope I make sense, as well.

To the outsider, it might appear I’m splitting hairs over potatoes vs squash, but there is a learning curve with this eating.  I want everyone to succeed who ventured to try their way of eating!  A little food ed in the beginning will yield long-term results!

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@QueenDanceALot

Yes, you make a lot of sense...more sense than I am!

You bring up a good thought...ranking the starches.

Even winter squash is considered a starch, it doesn’t have the amount of carbohydrates like the powerhouse, potato. You are correct about the starch content not being as high in squash vs potato. Cronometer shows a 4lb uncooked squash will yield approx 5 cups of cooked product. 5 cups will make almost make you uncomfortable...and still won’t sustain you in the long run, like a good ‘ole potato.

Another thing I might add, I think when someone coming from a SAD/limited portion way of eating begins to start substituting lower-calorie starchy vegetables right out of the gate, it sets them up for failure. Ease into it..stick with things that are familiar. Potatoes, rice, corn. Master those with no added oils...then venture out to the lower calorie density winter squashes for variety and/or quicker weight loss.  

I’m just afraid if spiralized squashes are used in place of traditional pasta, the user will not feel satisfied & then begin to add add’l oil/fats to reach that fullness factor.  And that would quickly negate any good originally planned.

I hope I make sense, as well.

To the outsider, it might appear I’m splitting hairs over potatoes vs squash, but there is a learning curve with this eating.  I want everyone to succeed who ventured to try their way of eating!  A little food ed in the beginning will yield long-term results!

@sidsmom

After eating this way for awhile, I think I just instinctively know now which starchy vegetables are going to be satisfying, and which ones aren't.

Heck, I'd eat a plate of potatoes and peas with a side of spaghetti squash.

And my pants still won't be tight around my waist.

Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot

“Uh, yes...I’ll have a plate of Starch

with a side-order of Starch, please.”

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@QueenDanceALot

“Uh, yes...I’ll have a plate of Starch

with a side-order of Starch, please.”

@sidsmom

I kinda sorta wanna pick up a spaghetti squash tomorrow!

Honored Contributor

Plant-Based News

Dwight Schrute is Plant Based!

In reality, Rainn Wilson (who plays Dwight Schrute in

the sit-com ‘The Office’) recently tried Plant-Based 

and it’s agreeing with him!  I screen-grabbed his excited post

on Instagram recently.  Sounds like he had a few bumps in the road

during those first couple weeks, but he’s reaping the benefits now!

24219BFE-6959-41AA-BC90-FC296E94A860.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Plant Based Funnies!

B739961A-CD3D-49B3-9A30-1C892151E801.jpeg

Honored Contributor

To anyone who eats this way: What is your favorite soup recipe?