Honored Contributor

Re: Plant Based News ๐Ÿ“๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿ ๐ŸŽ

@QueenDanceALot

How about making some plant-based queso for tomorrow night?

This recipe looks weird, as Jill said, but really good.  

Itโ€™s just like a โ€˜cheese gravyโ€™...will get thick when cooled (from the cornstarch), but loosens up when warm. Out of the blender itโ€™s watery,

and youโ€™ll probably go, WHAAAAA???....but 4 minutes in a saucepan on med heat...it thickens up fast. 

You know...if you want to be a โ€˜showmanโ€™, make it in AT the

party where everyone can see how easy it is. Just a thought. 

17FCA222-52DF-4D71-B165-0F2DFB771D27.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz

Yeah, cheese/dairy can be the last frontier to full on plant based.

Iโ€™ll admit...thatโ€™s my weak spot, as well! Creamy, fatty, salty w/ a 

hint of sweetness....cheese has the Holy Trinity of food addictions

(SOS...salt, oil, sugar).  Thatโ€™s why itโ€™s so hard to break from it.

Try the cheese queso recipe I posted above^^^ for a dip.

As for cheese on a pizza?  Try without.

On a sandwich?  Daiya makes a sub cheese, but itโ€™s really high in fat.

The substitute cheeses are just...a better bad, but depending on your

jouney, they might fit the bill.

If you go from a Dominoโ€™s extra cheesy pizza to a Daiya cheesy pizza,

you'll be disappointed. At the end of the day, the taste IS different.

In time, your tastes will adapt but remembering why youโ€™re adopting

this new eating will help the adapters.

Bread:  Iโ€™m not a bread person, but there are lots of receipes for vegan

bread out there.  Light, fluffy...but not an egg or oil to be seen, so I 

know it can be done.   Recipes for bread?  Google:

-McDougall Newsletter Recipe Archive. There are literally hundreds of

recipes Mary McDougall has whipped up since the 70โ€™s...all in 

one spot....tried & true. 

-Klunkers Kitchen

-Brand New Vegan

-Cooking with Plants.

-Simple Daily Recipes (Jill McKeever)

These are just the tip of the iceberg for plant-based cooking on social media.  Everyone has their own spin...like the โ€˜cheezeโ€™ recipe...some use oats, others use potatoes....itโ€™s all good!  If in doubt, just check YouTube...the plant based community has used that platform to really spread the word.

Sorry for so chatty! HTH...circle back with your findings & experiences.

EE92B13C-58EC-47FF-85A2-48F5FBA6B728.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@QueenDanceALot

How about making some plant-based queso for tomorrow night?

This recipe looks weird, as Jill said, but really good.  

Itโ€™s just like a โ€˜cheese gravyโ€™...will get thick when cooled (from the cornstarch), but loosens up when warm. Out of the blender itโ€™s watery,

and youโ€™ll probably go, WHAAAAA???....but 4 minutes in a saucepan on med heat...it thickens up fast. 

You know...if you want to be a โ€˜showmanโ€™, make it in AT the

party where everyone can see how easy it is. Just a thought. 

17FCA222-52DF-4D71-B165-0F2DFB771D27.jpeg

@sidsmom

Just brought in my guacamole supplies - avocados, red onion, jalapeno, cilantro.  It easy peasy and my friend's son, who is on his own whole foods plant based journey, LOVES my guacamole.  It's not really mine, it's Bobby Flay's.  DId I ever mention I met Bobby Flay at a horse sale I was working?  (he's into the thoroughbred business which I'm not anymore).  His guacamole is great, but he's a jackass.  hahahaha

Anyhoo, the queso sounds very interesting and I will definitely be trying that for the next partay!  My friend's son has never been a meat eater, but up until recently he still ate dairy and told me he had given it up and his skin immediately started to clear up.  I think he would maybe love to try a cheese free queso!!  He's so cute and earnest and I feel like a second mom to him sometimes.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom

That egg substitution list is very handy!

Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot

@sidsmom

Kitty, your guac sounds delish.  Avocados are a favorite in this household!

Have fun at your party! Will you be in costume?

I bake for my husband, but don't think I am all aproned up kneading bread when I say I make my own bread.  It takes longer to mix the ingredients than it does to "bake" in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes.๐Ÿ˜Š  I think it does prove how we get used to a new taste and now I can't even imagine eating a piece of white bread.

Sids, fellow cheese lover!  Cheese is such an integral part of my diet, I think it would be the hardest thing to eliminate. It would also be hard to have a wine and cheese party without the cheese!๐Ÿ˜Š

Your recipe for queso sounds intriguing. And thank you for the egg conversion chart. Since a major ingredient of my bread is already ground flax, that probably won't work, but it confirms that I can use unsweetened applesauce. 

You ladies are both so committed to this lifestyle.  I really applaud you for that.  Kitty, I know it was a quick and seamless transition for you.  Sids, did you jump in with both feet embracing WFPB or did you start out by "sticking your toes in the water" slowly? 

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz

Slowly.

I was introduced to PB with...Susan Powter! Remember her? 1993ish.

She continually talked about Drs. John McDougall, Neal Barnard,

and Dean Ornish. I went to a new place called Whole Foods (!), and bought powdered soy milk & exotic corn pasta...and a new product called Gardenburgers.  Wow...times have changed, huh?   I have a history of disordered eating, so my weight always coincides where Iโ€™m at mentally.  I do say the โ€˜monkeys donโ€™t chatter as muchโ€™ when Iโ€™m on plan, so those are always good days.  Thatโ€™s probably way more than you wanted to know!  Long story short, my McDougall eating has come & gone several times each decade since 1993...but I believe he is here to stay!

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@magicmoodz

Slowly.

and Dean Ornish. I went to a new place called Whole Foods (!), and bought powdered soy milk & exotic corn pasta...and a new product called Gardenburgers.  Wow...times have changed, huh?   I have a history of disordered eating, so my weight always coincides where Iโ€™m at mentally.  I do say the โ€˜monkeys donโ€™t chatter as muchโ€™ when Iโ€™m on plan, so those are always good days.  Thatโ€™s probably way more than you wanted to know!  Long story short, my McDougall eating has come & gone several times each decade since 1993...but I believe he is here to stay!

@sidsmom

Susan Powter--a blast from the past! 

Not too much information at all! I find it comforting to know that it is a major lifestyle change and it is not easy, although @QueenDanceALot makes it seem so.  The last thing I need to do is set myself up for failure.   

Honored Contributor

Oh, wow, Susan Powter!  A blast from the past!  She was hilarious (and she had a great old time movie star voice as well as a rocking bod).  

STOP THE INSANITY - some funny stuff, as soon as you mentioned her, what popped into my head?  HAM!   And there it is, around 17:00

Thanks for the memory and the head nodding recognition to the message.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIOGcOs62Wo

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@QueenDanceALot

@sidsmom

Kitty, your guac sounds delish.  Avocados are a favorite in this household!

Have fun at your party! Will you be in costume?

I bake for my husband, but don't think I am all aproned up kneading bread when I say I make my own bread.  It takes longer to mix the ingredients than it does to "bake" in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes.๐Ÿ˜Š  I think it does prove how we get used to a new taste and now I can't even imagine eating a piece of white bread.

Sids, fellow cheese lover!  Cheese is such an integral part of my diet, I think it would be the hardest thing to eliminate. It would also be hard to have a wine and cheese party without the cheese!๐Ÿ˜Š

Your recipe for queso sounds intriguing. And thank you for the egg conversion chart. Since a major ingredient of my bread is already ground flax, that probably won't work, but it confirms that I can use unsweetened applesauce. 

You ladies are both so committed to this lifestyle.  I really applaud you for that.  Kitty, I know it was a quick and seamless transition for you.  Sids, did you jump in with both feet embracing WFPB or did you start out by "sticking your toes in the water" slowly? 

@magicmoodz

The party is not costume, but there might be a few.  I'm still considering it, though.....

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@magicmoodz

Slowly.

@sidsmom

Susan Powter--a blast from the past! 

Not too much information at all! I find it comforting to know that it is a major lifestyle change and it is not easy, although @QueenDanceALot makes it seem so.  The last thing I need to do is set myself up for failure.   

@magicmoodz

Not so easy the first month or so for me as my digestive system had to make some changes (digestive enzymes change to accommodate what you are eating).  That part was rough, and I thought of quitting, but then it just all meshed and it's been smooth sailing ever since.  The recommendations by some doctors are to introduce the high fiber food slowly to avoid much of the abdominal "distress".  And lots of what we eat is high fiber.  Most of it!

Sidsmom and others have been doing this way of eating for a LOT longer than I have and I can never say never will I stray, but it has become as much of an ethical decision for me as a diet decision for my health so it's not all about me.  If I think about quitting I think about the animals.  That keeps me focused.  And, of course, the mounting benefits I am feeling.