Honored Contributor

Re: Plant Based News ๐Ÿ“๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿ ๐ŸŽ

@sidsmom. Two questions for you.  Is Greek yogurt a no no on this diet?  Also, is soy bean "pasta" made from 100% soybeans only OK?

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@sidsmom. Two questions for you.  Is Greek yogurt a no no on this diet?  Also, is soy bean "pasta" made from 100% soybeans only OK?

@SeaMaiden

Traditional Greek yogurt is animal based, so that would be a no ๐Ÿ™.

Iโ€™ve seen people use a brand called โ€˜Kite Hillโ€™, but Iโ€™m guessing

it would be in the Whole Foods-Trader Joeโ€™s-Sprouts type of markets.

Plus itโ€™s really high in fat (50%).  Of course Greek style of yogurt

is very calorie dense, so itโ€™s an occasional type of food.

75AFFCD1-5AF9-4673-8A4A-90F9A7A95EA4.jpeg

Soybean pasta.  Good, but itโ€™s higher in calorie density.

Just an occasional type of food, as well. There are so many different

pastas out there these days! 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SeaMaiden

Traditional Greek yogurt is animal based, so that would be a no ๐Ÿ™.

Iโ€™ve seen people use a brand called โ€˜Kite Hillโ€™, but Iโ€™m guessing

it would be in the Whole Foods-Trader Joeโ€™s-Sprouts type of markets.

Plus itโ€™s really high in fat (50%).  Of course Greek style of yogurt

is very calorie dense, so itโ€™s an occasional type of food.

75AFFCD1-5AF9-4673-8A4A-90F9A7A95EA4.jpeg

Soybean pasta.  Good, but itโ€™s higher in calorie density.

Just an occasional type of food, as well. There are so many different

pastas out there these days! 

@sidsmom@SeaMaiden

May I recommend Jovial Brown Rice Pasta?  The best 'alternative' pasta I've found so far.

Honored Contributor

A super quick and easy meal I do sometimes is Jovial Brown Rice Penne Pasta, dark red kidney beans, a box of baby spinach and a no or very low fat and low sodium jar pasta sauce (no time to make a sauce!).

Just incoporate all ingredients and VOILA, a  pretty good easy Past ******ioli!

I like to sprinkle Nutritional Yeast on it, too.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

A super quick and easy meal I do sometimes is Jovial Brown Rice Penne Pasta, dark red kidney beans, a box of baby spinach and a no or very low fat and low sodium jar pasta sauce (no time to make a sauce!).

@QueenDanceALot  That sounds delicious and so healthy!

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden

It's actually a recipe given to me years ago by a chef friend who worked long hours and often did not want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen on his free time.  He was also WFPB before it was "cool".

Cat Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@QueenDanceALot

Your meals sound so good.  It's wonderful that you are seeing some health benefits too.  I am sure you didn't need to lose any weight, but that also seems to be a commonality for those of you who follow WFPB diets.  

I was just reading about nutritional yeast.  Can you please suggest a brand and where you purchase it. Thanks Kitty!  And thank you for sharing your life experiences on this new adventure! 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@QueenDanceALot

Your meals sound so good.  It's wonderful that you are seeing some health benefits too.  I am sure you didn't need to lose any weight, but that also seems to be a commonality for those of you who follow WFPB diets.  

I was just reading about nutritional yeast.  Can you please suggest a brand and where you purchase it. Thanks Kitty!  And thank you for sharing your life experiences on this new adventure! 

@magicmoodz

Most everything I cook is on the VERY EASY side as I really don't like spending a lot of time cooking, but I love good food.  I am looking forward to winter meals as I like one pot dishes that I can cook on Sunday and have throughout the wek, and those tend to be the slow cooking hearty ones that just say "winter".  During the summer I ate a lot of "veggie plates", just a pile of boiled purple potatoes, corn on the cob from the farmer's market, and some kind of green and maybe orange veggies, steamed and plain, except for a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.  Loved that in the summer for dinner, and I always had a huge salad at lunch.  I still love a lunch salad.

Ah, the nutritional yeast - I got mine at Trader Joe's.  I just happened to se it there one day after reading a post sidsmom wrote where she mentioned it as a sort of "cheese" type taste for those who miss eating cheese.  And of course it has the benefit of being a great source of B12.  I have never been a big fan of cheese, but the nutritional yeast does give a nice mellow flavor kinda like, I don't know, maybe cheddar?  I sprinkle it on steamed veggies instead of using salt.  Took awhile for me to just put down the salt shaker, but now I don't miss it.   I wasn't a big shaker of salt, but I did put some on veggies.  I've eaten lots of veggies for years, but I always had to have my animal protein with them.  Mostly chicken.  Some eggs.  Occasional beef.  Most people would have looked at my meals and called them really healthy.  I thought so too.

LIve and learn!

Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@QueenDanceALot

@magicmoodz

Most everything I cook is on the VERY EASY side as I really don't like spending a lot of time cooking, but I love good food.  I am looking forward to winter meals as I like one pot dishes that I can cook on Sunday and have throughout the wek, and those tend to be the slow cooking hearty ones that just say "winter".  During the summer I ate a lot of "veggie plates", just a pile of boiled purple potatoes, corn on the cob from the farmer's market, and some kind of green and maybe orange veggies, steamed and plain, except for a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.  Loved that in the summer for dinner, and I always had a huge salad at lunch.  I still love a lunch salad.

Ah, the nutritional yeast - I got mine at Trader Joe's.  I just happened to se it there one day after reading a post sidsmom wrote where she mentioned it as a sort of "cheese" type taste for those who miss eating cheese.  And of course it has the benefit of being a great source of B12.  I have never been a big fan of cheese, but the nutritional yeast does give a nice mellow flavor kinda like, I don't know, maybe cheddar?  I sprinkle it on steamed veggies instead of using salt.  Took awhile for me to just put down the salt shaker, but now I don't miss it.   I wasn't a big shaker of salt, but I did put some on veggies.  I've eaten lots of veggies for years, but I always had to have my animal protein with them.  Mostly chicken.  Some eggs.  Occasional beef.  Most people would have looked at my meals and called them really healthy.  I thought so too.

LIve and learn!

@QueenDanceALot

I actually eat very similar to how you USED to eat--protein (mostly chicken, fish and eggs) and green leafy veggies. Always watching carbs, I eat virtually no fruit. Cheese is my downfall so when I read that nutritional yeast has a cheesy flavor I became intrigued.  Thank you for letting me know it is at Trader Joe's.  I will definitely pick some up this weekend.  

I am all about easy cooking.  I can't understand how some of my friends don't "do" leftovers.  We live for leftovers--probably because we are basically lazy cooks who prefer cooking once and having several meals at the ready. 

I make the only bread I eat, but it has 1 egg and 1 Tbsp coconut oil in the recipe along with flax seed and almond meal.  I think I am going to experiment omitting those items and replacing with unsweetened applesauce.  Or I could use vegan eggs?

Thanks again Kitty!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@magicmoodz wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@QueenDanceALot

@magicmoodz

LIve and learn!

@QueenDanceALot

I actually eat very similar to how you USED to eat--protein (mostly chicken, fish and eggs) and green leafy veggies. Always watching carbs, I eat virtually no fruit. Cheese is my downfall so when I read that nutritional yeast has a cheesy flavor I became intrigued.  Thank you for letting me know it is at Trader Joe's.  I will definitely pick some up this weekend.  

I am all about easy cooking.  I can't understand how some of my friends don't "do" leftovers.  We live for leftovers--probably because we are basically lazy cooks who prefer cooking once and having several meals at the ready. 

I make the only bread I eat, but it has 1 egg and 1 Tbsp coconut oil in the recipe along with flax seed and almond meal.  I think I am going to experiment omitting those items and replacing with unsweetened applesauce.  Or I could use vegan eggs?

Thanks again Kitty!

@magicmoodz

From one "lazy cook" to another, I totally get it! (And isn't soup or stew totally better the 2nd or 3rd day? - always is for me!)

@sidsmom would be a great one to talk to you about the cheese thing as she has mentioned that giving up cheese was maybe the hardest part for her?  So I am sure she will come around and give you some good suggestions for dealing with that.  I think I menitoned I just never cared much for cheese (unless it's mozzarella on a pizza, but we won't go there!) so I can't really help much there.

As far as baking, I know that @sidsmom has also talked about whipping up a "vegan egg" using flaxseed.  I'm sure you could google it - I think it's just flaxseed and water.  I have a Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer that I have used maybe once, in some Sunday pancakes, and it is made from Potato Stach, Tapioca Flour and Psyllium Husk Fiber.  It worked O.K., but I don't really bake much at all.  Holiday cookies is about all.  Oy, I have to find some new ones soon as Holiday Baking season will soon be upon us!!

Wishing you the best, @magicmoodz, on the journey!  I am so there with you!  As is everyone here who has found and embraced this way of eating.

I am off to Trader Joe's to pick up some avocados for a Halloween party - the hostess is making a Taco Soup which I know will be loaded with beef and salt and I want to bring a WFPB Guacamole.  I like it on veggie sticks (especially carrots - something about the sweetness of the carrots with the heat of the jalapeno), but I will look for some oil free chips, too, or maybe crackers.  I'm sure the hostess will have bags of oily chips (she always does) so I'm not adding to that.  I put my paw down on that one.  hahaha.  There will be a few other Vegans and WFPB peeps there, too, so WE need food too!

Later!