Honored Contributor

Re: Pink Eye = Tell me if I missed anything that needs to be tossed out or cleaned

@ID2 wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I changed my pillow case and have a new one lined up for every day this week to change every day.

I washed or wiped down with anti-bacterial wipes some of my glasses and readers.  I've got a whole pile in the car to do tomorrow.

Changed my face towel and will use a new one every time I wash my face this week.

I tossed a fair amount of my makeup.  I go all the way under my eye with my foundation and I swipe my blush across my eyes, so I infected just about everything I have. 

I tossed all of the bottles of eye drops I was using (including my prescription Lastacaft that I just had filled 2 weeks ago).  

I've been reading various places online to make sure I get everything.  I don't want to re-infect myself.

Thanks for your help.

You missed the most important thing....see your doctor and take your meds!!! Everything else is meaningless unless you are on your meds.

Thanks.  I actually started this discussion on another thread.  This thread was for everything to do after I returned from the doctor and started my prescription.

Sorry for the confusion. I should have stated that in the initial post.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Re: Pink Eye = Tell me if I missed anything that needs to be tossed out or cleaned

@novamc1 wrote:

Maybe you should ask the doctor if your problem isn't pinkeye, but simply blepharitis, which I've had two opthamologists tell me I have from time to time, and one told my husband the same thing.  It's basically an irritation of the eyelid, and the recommended treatment is one of two things:

--Wash your eyes with a cottonball using water and some Johnson's Baby Shampoo,

or

--Use expensive foil-wrapped eyewash pads.

I don't do either of these things, and if my eye feels irritated, I use Systane eyedrops.

I thought pinkeye was mainly a problem in young children, but I don't know much about it.  Hope you get to the root of the problem and get it solved.

I just recently heard about this on a podcast a couple of weeks ago and I looked up the symptoms to see if it was what I had but I don't have those symptoms.  But, you never know.

I'm looking forward to seeing the eye doctor tomorrow.  I should have gone there first, I just didn't think I would be able to get in easily.  I'm kicking myself now for wasting all this time and money.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@littlemom3 wrote:

I had pink eye many, many times when my kids were little.  I kept getting it a few weeks after it was gone.  Finally, a Dr. told me to get rid of EVERYTHING relating to my face or neck.  I mean face cream, neck cream, fash wash, blush, foundation, brushes, everything. Not just things ear the eye, but the entire face and neck.

It wasn't until I got rid of even my neck creme and blush that I got rid of it.  You could probably get by with cleaning the brushes really, really well in hot, soapy water.

I haven't had pink eye in about 10 years now.  Lots of makeup was lost though Smiley Sad

Thanks.  Everything is gone.  I've bought all new stuff but haven't cracked it open yet because I had a feeling last night that I wasn't cured.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@bebe777

I spoke too soon Smiley Sad

I finished my medication last night and it was back with a fire and fury this morning.  I had it for far too long for it to clear up with one round of antibiotics.  I have this problem with sinus infections as well.  It usually takes 2 rounds before it knocks it out.

I am going to my primary care practice at 3 today.

I had a sneaking feeling it wasn't gone yesterday, so I used precautions when putting on makeup so that I didn't contaminate anything.

{  sigh }

@VaBelle35 , I feel so bad for you. It sounds like  it's really persistant. I hope your appointment went well today. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

@bebe777

I have a tie breaker appointment with  my eye doctor practice.  My family medicine practice doesn't think it's pink eye as I don't have any symptoms other than redness.

We shall see what the good doctor says in the morning.

I heard steroids was an option.  I personally enjoy them for a week, but I'm wierd like that.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@VaBelle35, good luck with this.  Sorry to hear it is dragging on.  LM

Honored Contributor

Short update from my phone ....

Severe irritation from allergies.  At Walgreens now burning thru my deductible.  

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

After being appropriately chastised for not calling them first, the issue is that the preservatives in all the eye drops I was using (prescription and OTC) were irritating my already irritated eyes from allergies, not just what's in the air but stuff that I'm allergic to that comes in contact with my eyes (like my WEN MIF).

So I have a variety of very expensive items I need to use to clear up all of the irritation inside and outside of my eye.  I have a follow up next week to make sure it's clearing up and to test my eye pressure.

So thanks everyone for your good wishes and good information.  This was an informative discussion.

We don't have a  Best Answer button here, but @novamc1 would get the Best Answer button for blepharitis.  I have minor swelling from the irritation, I don't really notice it but he was up close with his viewer.  My derm has given me stuff before for dermatitis on my eyelids, which is from using anything with Fig in it (or touching my face after eating fresh or dried figs).

The silver lining is that I will meet my deductible for the year so I can get all of my expensive prescriptions filled in December for less than $10.

SOLVED!

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@VaBelle35, I am not sure I have read the entire post but these are my comments.  I went to a walk in clinic when I had pink eye and it was diagnosed there on a Saturday.  They gave me drops which I eventually found out I was allergic to.  My own doctor got me on the right treatment and it disappeared in due course.

I also have belpharitis.  That was disagnosed by my Opthalmologist many years ago.  It is a skin condition which can be managed but not cured.  With proper treatment, it presents no problem.  I have had only one flare up in twenty years.  My Opthamologist told me I could thank my Scottish ancesters for that gift.

I hope you continue to improve.  These things can be such a nuisance.  LM

Honored Contributor

Thanks @Lilysmom  I will talk to him more next week about going forward. I also have an appointment with my derm in a few weeks.  I'll be interested to hear what they both say is a good course of treatment for not having a recurrence.

I was happy he gave me sample drops to use because Walgreens has to order them.  After one round of everything so far, the puffiness under my eyes is gone and I look normal again Smiley Very Happy

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN