Respected Contributor

Pilates or Miranda Esmonde White??

I love my Pilates machine but thought I would give Miranda's Classical Stretch a try.  Got some of her books from Library and watch her series on pbs.  I find some of the movements are very difficult, even the beginner level ones.  One question I have is is it necessary to do each workout in order?  That is NOT explained.  I have done only the movements that I can do comfortably.  Not sure they are helping.  When I do my Pilates routine I feel so much better immediately.  Anyone have comments or suggestions?

Super Contributor

Re: Pilates or Miranda Esmonde White??

I tried MEWhite's program by subscribing to her online videos after reading one of her books. I have always done yoga and walked, so I am not new to exercise. I tried her program for about 3 months and gave up on it. I tried to amend to keep it less active after I noticed my body was hurting. I've gone back to yoga for flexibility and walking plus doing some online Silver Sneakers classes. I think the best exercise anyone can do is one that they like. If you like Pilates better, do it. No doubt you'll hear from some MEWhite fans and maybe that will give you more perspective on what she offers.
Super Contributor

I hve done pilates and yoga plus cycling, rowing, etc for 20 years. I started Miranda's exercises in June and have been very happy with the results. You can modify the exercises to match your body. I started slowly but I have progressed steadily. My posture is better even though I used a pilates reformer for years. I was surprised at the results. I had started doing Miranda's exercises because I was bored during shutdown. As in any new exercise program, you may be feel it at first. I was tell anyone new to the program that you should start slowly. Her program is designed so your body never plateaus. 

Honored Contributor

For myself, I much prefer the Pilates reformer because it keeps my body in line.  Free exercise doesn't do that and I often find myself hurting because of it, including with the Classical Stretches.

I also prefer the reformer because I can do most of the exercises either lying down or sitting.  I have trouble with balance and dizziness without some sort of support.

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

I love my Pilates machine but thought I would give Miranda's Classical Stretch a try.  Got some of her books from Library and watch her series on pbs.  I find some of the movements are very difficult, even the beginner level ones.  One question I have is is it necessary to do each workout in order?  That is NOT explained.  I have done only the movements that I can do comfortably.  Not sure they are helping.  When I do my Pilates routine I feel so much better immediately.  Anyone have comments or suggestions?

With Classical Stretch, what's worked for me is to fake it until I make it. I do all the exercises, but if she goes into too many reps I don't do the last reps. And if she goes, say, all the way down to the floor and I can't do that, I just go in the general direction she goes.

There really aren't any beginner moves. You just do the moves at a beginner range of motion.

Over time I've become able to do all the moves, and most of the reps, but I still can't do a couple things like she does. And I sure can't hit my nose with my leg when stretching like she does!

I think you can do any Classical Stretch workout at any time. They're all pretty comprehensive so they don't have to be done in any particular order. But she does say that you should attempt all the exercises. Just don't go very far at all if it feels wrong or uncomfortable. Sometimes just moving an inch can be enough.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Super Contributor

I have two of Miranda's videos that I have recently been using.  I am going to get her latest videos called Aging Backwards 3: Fast Track. Her 1 hour presentation has been shown on one of our pbs stations. It is worth watching.  It is more presentation rather than exercise video and is very informative. Check your TV guide   They offer three different packages. The one I am going to order, probably from her website, has several videos and a 30 day workout calendar that shows which videos to do which days of the week.  

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

@bargainsgirl 

I'm a Pilates fan.  Never heard of Miranda, but I generally find exercise videos annoying.  I review them to learn the moves, but do it on my own.   

Trusted Contributor

Pilates  Smiley Wink

I've tried Classical Stretch / Essentrics and it always ends up hurting my back.  Miranda bugs me, too.

Valued Contributor

I don't do Pilates, but I have been doing Classical Stretch for several years.

I doesn't seem to get any easier for me. For instance, today I did 1121 - Arm Toning. Though it's supposed to be a beginner episode, but I find it very difficult.

I also am finding that I seem to be hurting my shoulders, hips and achilles lately. Smiley Sad