Trusted Contributor

Re: Physical Therapy for hip ostoarthitis

@texassunflower, I think the first thing to try these days is physical therapy.  I have had both hips replaced, my left in 2004 when I was 49 and the right in 2008.  Best decisions I ever made; the hip pain from the bad joint was gone immediately.  The only pain, which lessened with time, was the pain from the surgery/recovery, which paled for me compared to the original pain.  On the right hip, the doctor tried a cortisone injection into the hip joint (I was in an X-ray machine while they tried to position the needle in the joint) and the shot worked for 3 hours before the pain returned.  The key thing is to complete the post-operative PT to regain mobility in the joint.

BTW, osteoarthritis is a trait I can trace directly back to my Dad who had both replaced and one replaced twice.  My brother and youngest sister have had one replaced as well.  Thanks, Dad, for those genes.  LOL,

Honored Contributor

I also want to say that there is no drug without risks and Tylenol is acetaminophen which carries its risks  as well.  So, always seek the advice of your medical personnel in your care. 

Valued Contributor

I have bone-on-bone knees and suggested to my internist that I see a physical therapist. It was the best decision I ever made. 

They offered me a choice of an exercise plan to do at the gym or at home and I chose one I could do at home. That's the key - you have to keep doing them. Most of them were to strengthen my hips, core, and thighs to help support my knees.

They also asked me what activities of daily living I had issues with....I learned how to get up from a sitting position correctly, a better way of vacuuming that didn't strain my back, climbing steps, geting in & out of the car, clothes folding....etc....

Honored Contributor

Movement of your body is better than not moving it 

Esteemed Contributor

@CinNC wrote:

I have bone-on-bone knees and suggested to my internist that I see a physical therapist. It was the best decision I ever made. 

They offered me a choice of an exercise plan to do at the gym or at home and I chose one I could do at home. That's the key - you have to keep doing them. Most of them were to strengthen my hips, core, and thighs to help support my knees.

They also asked me what activities of daily living I had issues with....I learned how to get up from a sitting position correctly, a better way of vacuuming that didn't strain my back, climbing steps, geting in & out of the car, clothes folding....etc....

Yes, @CinNC, so absolutely correct - learning how to do the daily activities mindfully makes a big difference!  The repetitive use faculties are easy to overlook, and they are the ones that cause wear and tear over time because they are so frequent.

Cogito ergo sum
Contributor

Can you tell me what pilates reformer exercises you do and the number of reps for each? I have the reformer and need to work out more to help with hip pain.

Honored Contributor

@D Kay  If you don't mind, your's suggested what in liue of for your pain. I'm curious.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay, I do agree with this too. End of July/early Aug I had horrendous pain right shoulder. Saw PCP, we talked about many things ie RA (I already have osteo hands/fingers), a tear in rotator cuff, even fibromyalgia. We did not do MRI but my pain was so intense, to compensate, it migrated across chest to right shoulder. I did PT, had a great guy, Chad who not only did light workouts but FABULOUS stretching. After I left, I still had pain but within a month or so it pretty much left everywhere.

Unfortunately almost immediately thereaft, I had horrible pain in the neck. Bought/tried many pillows (my pillow did not do ANYTHING), I'm back to a contour which helps. Worse yet, should pain is back both sides, today my left is a killer.

I've not been back to my PCP but I need to. I need/want to do blood test for RA for one thing.

Honestly, I've no idea what happened to me. I'm 65 and too  young to be in pain like this. I've no idea what to do with this either. It actually angers me that seemingly out of nowhere I have pain like this.

Most times your PCP starts you with PT, I'd do this first.

Respected Contributor

You may also want to consider Acupuncture.  This method should provide considerable relief if other treatments don't help.  All the best to you. OP!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nonametoday wrote:

I also want to say that there is no drug without risks and Tylenol is acetaminophen which carries its risks  as well.  So, always seek the advice of your medical personnel in your care. 

@Nonametoday,

I agree with every word you've said. I just want to add that the dosage and the frequency can be the biggest factor when it comes to almost all types of pain killers.

Thank you for this input,

hckynut

hckynut(john)