Honored Contributor

Re: Physical Therapy - Good or Waste of $$

About 2 years ago this May I had both of my knees replaced at the same time.

I went directly into physical theraphy.  I stayed there for 20 days.  I learned how to get in and out of a car (until they healed).  I won't bore you guys with all of the things I learned and how these amazing people helped me.

After that I stayed with my daughter for a few days.  I'm very independent so I was anxious to get home.  I live in a big house (split foyer) so I needed to be able to get around easily.

I barely used a cane afterward and never used a walker, etc.

I'm not bragging, I'm giving applause to the women (they were all women in my case) who worked with me.  

They kind and very patient.  They explained why I felt this way or that and what was to come.

I broke my back in 3 places when I was 18 and have been in a lot of bad car accidents.

I've been to a lot of physical therapists over the years.  It's like anything else.  Some are better than others.

Recently, I started going (yet again) for physical theraphy.  She was amazing.  The pain I endured was terrible.  The receptionist said she had to go into the bathroom because my yells for pain was so disturbing.  

It was necessary in my case (she was desentizing me).  It really helped.

My daughter goes to physical theraphy every 10 or so days.  She broke her knee.  She swears by it.  She also gets a massage, that also helps.

These are alll tools available to help people heal.

I would strongly suggest you go to physical theraphy.  If you don't feel like it's helping, don't give up, try another therapist.

Good luck.  Please come back and let us know how you're doing.  We'll all be looking out to hear some good news.

You've already done the hard stuff.Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

Hi Marymary--I am in physical therapy as we speak. I currently have a foot problem. I have gone about 6 times now and I can see & feel a difference. It's like another poster mentioned, sometimes it's just safer than a gym because they target the specific area versus the gym where they really don't know your problem. A few years ago I had a shoulder tear and the ortho wanted to do surgery but I opted for PT first. Well, lo and behold, i never had the surgery and my shoulder is about back to normal now. Because you had hip surgery I would think carefully before doing any exercise without proper supervision. I know it can be a pain especially having to fit in into your schedule but I feel it works. I wish you well. It's sounds like you are well on the road to recovery. Best wishes. Sorry for the font size. I am having trouble with it. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@donniesmom wrote:

Hi Marymary--I am in physical therapy as we speak. I currently have a foot problem. I have gone about 6 times now and I can see & feel a difference. It's like another poster mentioned, sometimes it's just safer than a gym because they target the specific area versus the gym where they really don't know your problem. A few years ago I had a shoulder tear and the ortho wanted to do surgery but I opted for PT first. Well, lo and behold, i never had the surgery and my shoulder is about back to normal now. Because you had hip surgery I would think carefully before doing any exercise without proper supervision. I know it can be a pain especially having to fit in into your schedule but I feel it works. I wish you well. It's sounds like you are well on the road to recovery. Best wishes. Sorry for the font size. I am having trouble with itSmiley Happy

LOL

It's like an eye chart. ☺

Trusted Contributor

PT can often be like a "carp" shoot, it depends how into it your therapist is. If you're placed on a machine and he/she isn't paying attention to you, helping other ppl, you can probably do better with another therapist. Ever notice how much they charge the insurance companies w/little to no input from them?

Honored Contributor

DO PHYSICAL THERAPY!!!!

Seriously, lots of good posts before me.

Just echoing the pro-PT.

A strong foundation is needed after an important operation

like hip surgery. It might appear to be a waste of time,

but you will thank yourself in the long run. Recovery has an

accumulative effect...and the weak link will show itself eventually,

if pushed too soon. 

The gym will be waiting for you in several weeks.  

No need to push it. 

Trusted Contributor

@wishmoon wrote:

PT can often be like a "carp" shoot, it depends how into it your therapist is. If you're placed on a machine and he/she isn't paying attention to you, helping other ppl, you can probably do better with another therapist. Ever notice how much they charge the insurance companies w/little to no input from them?

I agree. I had that experience more than once. 

I don't know what it's like elsewhere, but my doctor gave me a printout of PTs. Some were in a group facility; some were individuals in a small setting who took only one client at a time. The latter is better, in my opinion. However, they might not have all the machines. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would contact my doctor before going to the gym. I had to attend physical therapy for my back and I was so disappointed in the sessions. The therapist had too many patients and was going back and forth to the point that when I arrived I just started doing the exercises on my own.

After a few session, I realized I could do all of these exercises at home. I did not have to pay a co-pay for these sessions but in the past I have forked out $18 per session  3 times a week over 2 months. It adds up and you still don't see the relief. I took the money and invested in a teeter machine with the blessing of my doctor and saw tremendous results at home.

Respected Contributor

Yeah, I hear you, I have quit PT too.  I have been to Therapists that are fabulous, helped a lot, and try hard, and some that do minimal and don’t care.   If I were you, I would ask the doctor his opinion. 

The gym might be fine if you know what TO do and what NOT to do.  For me, once the endorphins are rolling, I tend to overdo everything... As long as you have some guidelines and follow tham, the gym may be ok. 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

As others have said, PT does work for some. But, as someone who has just completed more PT than was initially required, make sure your therapist is experienced. At least 5 years. Mine was just out of school, no clinical experience. Not great.

In PT Experience is everything.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

After weeks in the hospital being treated for neurological paralysis, I applied for an intensive course of PT offered by the hospital.

I was turned down. Why?

They saw me as "too motivated".

They said some people would just go home and "sit". Those were the patients they wanted in this class after release from hospital.

So if you're sure you'll follow through with the exercises to recover former functioning, I think they'll agree with you ending therapy.

But insurance-wise I think it's better if they suggest you continue with a self-directed therapy rather than it being completely your decision to end PT.